Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Weigh In/Hiking/Running Edition

Weigh ins, and hiking and running. Oh my! 

Weigh in: lost 3.4 pounds last week. I was on track for losing 5 pounds but it went up slightly at the last minute.

Monday I started the day off with a protein shake made with coffee, almond milk, vanilla protein and sugar free caramel syrup by Torani. Very tasty. I'm enjoying these shakes during the hot weather.
Then it was off for a hike before the temps reached the 3 digit mark.

This time I went to Memorial Park in Houston. It used to be a WWI training camp called Camp Logan back in the day. It is almost twice as large as Central Park in New York City and is the largest urban park in Texas.

The trails are color coded and most of the time they are well marked.
 We started on the purple trail then blue then orange, purple again then red I think. We were all over the place.



 It didn't feel like we were inside the 610 loop! We were inside the city but surrounded by woods and birds. The topography was not what I expected either.
 It's a multi-use trail which means bikes and pedestrians are supposed to share the road. Not much road to share right here.

 I do not trust my cycling skills to tackle these trails just yet. There are some serious drop offs.
 Made it to a viewing platform and saw Buffalo Bayou. I want to paddle it! You can paddle right through downtown Houston on this waterway.
 People ride their bikes down here! The downhill doesn't look too bad but the uphill looks killer. And I'm pretty sure I see at least a dozen places for my front tire to lodge and send me sailing.
 Charlie was determined to see an antlion. I told him it was not a good idea to plop down in the middle of the trail because bikers could come around the corner at any moment. Literally seconds later one came around and I grabbed Charlie by the camelback and tossed him aside. Our bad.
 Woodpecker holes.
Check out these trenches! It's hard to see the scale of it but they were tall.

 The hike was supposed to last 2.4 miles but I made a few wrong turns and ended at the parking lot at almost 2 miles.

Lunch was some roast beef with mustard on a low carb tortilla.
 A got the munchies for something sweet so one of these:
 Dinner: Taco Salad. This is so freakishly good. Taco meat, lettuce, salsa, cheese and Ranch. It's all good.
 ------------------------------
Tuesday morning I got up at an early-for-me hour and got my gear on and hit the streets for a run.  It's really stretching it to say it's a run. I saw my shadow. I waddle. Wonder if there are 5K waddles? Ralks? Wuns?

Getting back in to running I'm starting out with a 3 minute walk and 1 minute run intervals. It wasn't too terribly hot. Just hot enough to make me sweat like crazy.

On a side note, I know my 3.1 mile path in the neighborhood and I've been watching this one dog turd on the sidewalk for over a year. It won't go away. Now it's all white and I think it may be fossilizing before my eyes. I may start a chart to see how long this turd survives on the sidewalk. What did that dog eat, anyway?!

Anyway, I finished in 44 minutes 50 seconds. Not lightning speed but my splits were pretty nice. My run intervals were all 10 and 9 minute miles. My walk intervals were slower at 16 and a 17 minute mile pace. Need to speed it up. I'm not as worried about competition as I am just getting the run over with. Done. Running isn't the most fun thing in the world for me but it does help tone up some loose bits and pieces plus I LOVE going to the 5K runs. SO much fun.

Another side note: spandex finds and becomes one with every nook and crevice. I had to dig a few times and tug a few more times.

Tried to get a picture of my glistening sweat but it's hard to see. Believe me. I was sweaty.
Have a groovy day. It's time for me to have a protein shake.

12 comments:

  1. Almost 5 lb down! that's amazing!! I'm stuck at 180, I can eat anything and it won't go up or down... I guess the body is happy at that weight but I would love to be 170!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, congrats on the loss of the week!!! Thanks for sharing your hike pictures with us...feels like we're right there with you! (minus the sweat) Have a GREAT day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute picture of you - you look very healthy!

    I had no idea there was such an amazing park in the middle of Houston! You find all the cool places. Oh, and I'm not sure about biking those trails, either - that looks pretty dang rugged and might hurt the hooha, if you know what I mean! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Houston and sad to say I never knew trails like that existed inside the city (hangs head in shame) I really must try it out one day soon! great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the loss, Kelly. You are doing great. The run sounds like fun. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the loss! I don't mountain bike because those trails look like they would hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great loss, great hike and great run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paddling through downtown Houston sounds appealing to me.

    Keep us posted on that turd.

    congrats on the weight loss. I am like HS, stuck at about the same place but cardiac patients retain much more water in the summer. As long as I don't gain Ithink the fall and winter will be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just trying to catch up with you. Kelly you look amazing. Congrats on the running! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. uh wow?

    all of it.

    especially the PARK right in houston?
    who knew?!

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)