Thursday, August 11, 2011

Punishing my Body

My poor body has been sore every day for almost 2 weeks. It's been varying degrees of soreness. A couple of days it hurt to breathe. Most days there are just isolated bits of soreness. But always it hurts somewhere. I'm sure my body wants to know why it's being punished.

Exercises:
Wednesday was weights routine with Chalene Xtreme. Burn Phase, circuit 1, week 2.  Hey! I can do a push up now! And Rachel is even keeping up with her weights training and shaping up. Proud of her.
Quads were sore from running the day before (rest days? I don't need no stinking rest days. Yes, I do. I know. Still working out the kinks in the scheduling) so squats and lunges were of special note. I felt them.

Thursday (today) I got out the door at 7:30am to run and it was already quite warm. Last night I had all my gear together waiting for me so I didn't have to think too much. The one thing I didn't have ready to go was the Garmin. I was supposed to run for 20 minutes but I set it for a 24 minute run. Really not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things but those 4 minutes do make an impact when you're tired.

In the running club I'll be running intervals of 5 minutes running/1 minute walking so I figured that's what I'd try today. WOW! That was tougher than I thought. I did it but I'm not sure I could have done one more interval.

The splits:
1st running segment: 11:21/mi
2nd       "         "       : 12:06/mi
3rd        "         "       : 12:19/mi
4th        "         "       : 12:58/mi

See a pattern? I got progressively slower. I actually remembered to wear my heart rate monitor this time and my max heart rate was 184 bpm. I'm pretty sure that's a bit high.

I hope to see a lot of improvement as the weeks go by. Right now, I'm giving it my all. Good news: my hips aren't hurting too bad. They're still sore the next day but I can walk without limping.

Total: 34 minutes; 2.45 miles
5 minutes walk warm up
4 intervals of 5 minutes running/1 minute walking
5 minutes walk cool down

To chronicle my journey into running I thought I'd take a picture each week and see if I can notice any changes. So here's week 1 pic taken today, August 11, 2011.

gear: newton shoes, cheap shorts, life is good shirt, Garmin Forerunner 305, hear rate monitor under shirt, sansa clip mp3 player, cheap sunglasses, academy visor, a smile & a lot of sweat
 Play list:
Backwater by the Meat Puppets (warm up)
Hung Up by Madonna
The House is Rockin by Stevie Ray Vaughn
Let it Rock by Kevin Rudolph
California Love by Tupac
No You Girls by Franz Ferdinand
I Know You Want Me by Pit Bull
Hysteria by Def Leppard (cool down)

Yesterday I had the privilege of bullying pressuring coaxing gently persuading my BFF from high school Wendy into signing up for a 5K with me November 5th. I actually found one that hands out finisher's medals and will have Frado from Biggest Loser give a motivational talk before the race. It's the Hope for Health 5K and Expo.

I'm so proud of Wendy for signing up for her first 5K and honored that I will be with her when she crosses that finish line for the first time. You never forget that feeling. I know it's also scary when you've never done a race and it takes some bravery to fill out that registration form. She's going to do great and we're going to have so much fun. Oh yes, there will be pictures. :)
-------------------------------
Eats: Ugh. Do we have to talk about this? I did good except for one meal and I certainly felt it afterwards. But here it goes.

Breakfast: On the road. I met my mom halfway between her house and mine to let her have Charlie for a couple of days. He loves going over there to play with his cousins.  So I stopped by Whataburger and got a bacon, egg, cheese taquito.

Lunch: tuna on a bed of greens, 1 Tbs walnuts and some Ranch; almond milk with some low sugar chocolate mix

Dinner: Get the door, it's Domino's.  Yep, I had a couple of pieces of pizza. Sure was good though.:) Not a good choice. The rest of the day was filled with good choices so that's something.

Now that I've cooled down and stopped sweating while writing this post (I started it after I got in from running. Can you smell me? lol) I think I better take a shower.  Hope your Thursday is filled with happiness.

12 comments:

  1. Kelly you look so so sooo good!!! wow!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your running outfit!!!

    OK, so I'm gonna tell you the same thing I told Biz.... you're starting too fast. One of the hardest things to do with running is to make yourself start slow. But if you do? Your intervals will get faster instead of slower.

    Good job Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job!
    It'll get easier in the fall.
    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of taking a weekly picture. You will certainly see a progressive difference, and also, I look forward to seeing your running outfits! (p.s. get out of that cotton shirt - it's weighing you down!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantastic Kelly. Way to go!!! Laughed out loud at the words "can you smell me?" VERY funny!!! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...you know that I needed all that "gentle persuading" to get where I need to go. But, I've amped myself up for it and am excited! I will need help figuring out some good running clothes, though. Right now, I just throw on a big shirt, capri sweats and my tenny's....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay to doing a push up! I am still going hard with my wall push ups. ;)

    Love the pic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being exercise-sore feels so good, doesn't it. I've been sore since Tuesday (back to Pilates Monday before), and I love it. It's nice to be in that "I'm sore every day just about" mode, knowing it's building muscle. Hurray!

    Keep at it. Be sore some more. But make sure you schedule total rest days, where you only do gentle exercises. I think that's wise, too.

    Later, beauteous muscular one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great! Not sure what you would have that would be jiggling when you run to worry about.

    I think you might want to slow up a little as well. Don't burn out before you find the satisfaction of running!

    I'm like that as well, though. Going back to the beginning of running for me is really hard knowing what I used to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanna come spend the day with you!!!!

    and no.

    I have no running tips at all :)

    (points to helen's comment. she's the wise one)

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Helen and Lori, try to start slower, you can always speed up halfway through your runs if you feel good.

    I love your outfit too and like that you post your playlist, always looking for new tunes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)