Monday, August 8, 2011

Run Your Butt Off

I have to share a new book I just checked out from the library. Please excuse my gushing because I love it.  It's by the editors of Running World magazine and it's called Run Your Butt Off.
It's a 12 step program that takes you from walking 30 minutes to running 30 minutes. You progress through each stage at your own pace. If it takes you a couple of weeks before you can walk 30 minutes it's ok.

Each week you walk/run 4 times before moving on to the next step. Like I said, you can spend a couple of weeks at one step if you need to.

The stages are: (each done a minimum of 4 times in one week before progressing so the entire program will take a minimum of 12 weeks)
  1. Walk 30 minutes
  2. walk 4 minutes/ run 1 minute. Repeat 4 times. End with 4 minutes walking. Total: 29 minutes
  3. walk 4 minutes/ run 2 minutes. repeat 4 times. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 33 minutes.
  4. walk 3 minutes/ run 3 minutes. Repeat 4 times. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 33 minutes.
  5. walk 2 minutes 30 seconds/ run 5 minutes. Repeat 3 times. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 33 minutes.
  6. walk 3 minutes/ run 7 minutes. Repeat 2 more times. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 33 minutes.
  7. walk 2 minutes/ run 8 minutes. Repeat 2 more times. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 33 minutes
  8. walk 2 minutes/ run 9 minutes. Repeat 1 more time. Then walk 2 minutes/ run 8 minutes. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 35 minutes
  9. walk 1 minute/ run 9 minutes. Repeat 2 more times. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 33 minutes.
  10. walk for 2 minutes/ run for 13 minutes. Repeat 1 more time. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 33 minutes.
  11. walk 2 minutes/ run 14 minutes. Then walk 1 minute/ run 14 minutes. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 34 minutes.
  12. walk 3 minutes then run 30 minutes nonstop. End with 3 minutes walking. Total: 36 minutes
There are so many things I like about this book. Usually I feel like an outsider in the Runner's World group. The magazine seems to be written to other people. People who have no problem going out for a casual 5 mile run on a Saturday morning for fun. People who are just trying to shave 20 seconds off their PRs. That's not me! I'm out there huffing and puffing trying to shed a few pounds as I waddle down the street. I'm entering a 5K not for PRs but for a cool tee shirt and an after-party.

Run Your Butt Off is written for people like me. It's for the beginner who is trying to shed some pounds and become a runner at the same time. Not only does it address the running aspect but it also gives nutritional advice throughout the book. And for each stage there is a worksheet in the appendix to help you with what you're learning.

Another thing that I am so happy to see in this book is the real life concerns that so many people have but books rarely address.  What about the jiggle when I run? What about people staring at me because I'm overweight? What about how fast I can't go? (BTW, they stress over and over and over that you should go s-l-o-w. I mean really slow. Run as fast as you can walk. Runner's World telling me to go slow?! Thank you!) But I can't go very far, etc. It addresses so many concerns and doesn't talk down to you.

Just a sampling of what I'm talking about:
"This training program doesn't give a hoot about distance, as you've noticed by now. We only measure in time--how many minutes you can run. The next time your smart-aleck brother-in-law questions how far you're running? Tell him you don't know and you don't care."

How about running a 5K? What's one of our number one concerns when we first go to a 5K? I know mine was, "What if I'm last?" And it nearly happened on my first one!
Here's what the book says about that regarding your first race:
"Check to make sure at least 500 people enter it, and if you can find one with north of 1,000 entrants, that's even better. The more runners, the merrier. When you have a lot of people around you, you can guarantee that someone will be slower than you. Someone will be walking the whole way. Because that's the number-one fear of every person who enters a race for the first time: What if I'm last? Trust us. If you pick a big enough race and you run even just a few minutes of it, you will not be last."

I will say that this book is not for people who are already running 30 minutes straight. This is for the beginner or someone who would like to be able to run 30 minutes straight.

With that in mind, I'm going to start putting it into practice this week.  I'm going to start at stage 2 because I can already walk for hours.
---------------------
Some eats from yesterday:
Chuck made a breakfast for me--2 eggs, some bacon, a piece of high-fiber low calorie toast, and a small bit of almond milk with some low sugar chocolate mix.
 Lunch--a hot dog on a high fiber bun with cheese and mustard. I've had a craving for hot dogs lately. Weird.
 Dinner--I had another America's Test Kitchens recipe to test for them: Red-Wine Braised Pork Chops. I paired it with some zucchini and yellow squash that I made into ribbons with my spiral slicer. Aren't they pretty?
 The pork was cooked on a bed of onions in a red wine sauce for 1 1/2 hours in the oven. I served it with roasted broccoli and garlic squash. Absolutely delicious. Sorry, I can't share the pork chops recipe because ATK requests that test recipes not be shared while they're developing them.
Exercise: Chuck and I went for a 30 minute walk before breakfast.  I cooled off then did Chalene Xtreme Burn phase, circuit 3 for weights.

I have noticed on weight lifting days I am starving. I could eat all the things. I've got to be able to feed the hunger monster without going crazy with the calories.

It was a great weekend that flew by way too fast. We didn't do a whole lot: went to the museum for a Pink Floyd laser light show, visited the food trucks parked outside the museum, delivered cookies to a friend who just got out of the hospital, went to the museum again to see a planetarium show about the 2012 Mayan prophecies, tested a recipe. It was really too hot to do much outside. Triple digits. So ready for fall over here.

Are you hungrier on exercise days?

8 comments:

  1. I love the zucchini ribbons - that looks so FANCY!

    I am always hungrier the next morning - if I work out at 5am, then I wake up the next day at 5am with my stomach roaring for a huge breakfast!

    And I have come in last in a 5K - my second one I think. It was a fundraiser for surviving family members when a police officer is slain in the line of duty and apparently most people running it were cops. At the end, it was just me and this admin assistant from the local sheriff's department (who was coming off an injury to her leg of some sort). The cops who had already finished came back and ran the last 0.2mile with both of us while we huffed and puffed and they cheered us on. It was honestly one of my best race memories ever. Motivates me more than you can know in any other race I've ever been in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the zucchini ribbons too!

    It must be hotdog season...I had them for lunch today and yesterday. Two more left in the pack.

    Run Your Butt Off looks great. I wish you much success.

    I am hungry the day after I work out...except after a swim...then I am famished immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you found something that you feel will help you run better. Running better beats running faster any day. And dead last finish beats did not finish and trumps did not start. Don't ever forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds so motivating and I think that's great! I do have to take exception to one thing you wrote, my friend - you are not overweight. Anymore. You may want to lose a few more pounds, but you look like a normal person. Seriously! So don't think that when you're out there running, anyone is going to think you are overweight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good weekend Kelly. OOOH...those spiral ribbons look INCREDIBLE!!!!! I must look out for that gadget myself. All the best running your butt off! :) And have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the C25K program, which is a good way to build up running. I did it a couple years ago, and now am doing it again.

    I will always have jiggle when I run, no matter how small. Loose skin and all that. It is hard not to be self conscious about it, but don't let it stop you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hai Kelly,

    Been seeing you on Shelley's, Helen's and Lori's blog and thought I should check out your blog and like it very much.

    The running program sounds great. It's like Start to run which I used for my first 5K.
    Don't worry about being last. At my first 10K that had about 10.000 participants there were only 2 people behind me. Sure it wasn't fun to come in almost last but the victory of running my first 10K was so much bigger.
    At my first half marathon attempt in April this year I had a DNF because the heat that day was something I couldn't handle.

    I'm a runner yes but I never will be in the front because I'm a slow runner and proud of it because there are so much more people who don't do what we do. So I'd say: go for it, follow the program and sign up for a 5K and just have fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm generally hungry the day after. I have to do my jogging in the late evening (I know I don't have to explain heat to you!) and since I am in bed early (early riser for work!), I only have a protein shake after the joggy thing that I try to do...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)