Thursday, September 8, 2011

Exercise Can Be a Pain in the Neck

Tuesday I totally skipped my hill training run. I just wasn't feeling the running love. My hips were a little achy and I was just tired all over. Normally I'll stick to a schedule no matter how I feel. This time I actually listened to my body and rested.

Wednesday was a scheduled "off" day. On those days we're encouraged to still stay active but not running. I chose biking!

Getting up early has given me great opportunities to see some of the most beautiful sunrises. And each one is different. This is the sunrise I saw on my bike ride Wednesday.
I rode 6.24 miles in 31:02 minutes at 12.1 mph.  Not exactly a speed demon but I'll work on that. Right now I'm just trying to get my rear accustomed to riding that little bitty seat again. (if only my running pace was the same as my biking!)

The ride felt so good and the morning was actually cool that after I cooled off I went for yet another ride. My legs let me know that they were not impressed with my decision but I still had fun and ended up doing another 6.01 miles in 30:09 minutes at 12mph.  Total of 12.25 miles that day.

I had a lot to get done as we are leaving to go camping Thursday. Yay!!! It's been a few months.
One thing that needed to be done was replacing the tongue jack on the travel trailer. As the sun went down and Chuck was still "jacking" with it we realized we have the wrong replacement part.

But while messing with the trailer we saw a dark line of clouds across the sky. It was the smoke from the wildfires we're having in Texas! It's scary when it gets that close to home. We really need some rain.

So after running errands and messing around with the trailer for a good portion of the evening, I was beat. Went to bed early.

Thursday (today) I got up bright and early at 6:20am for my 25 minute run. I felt pretty good. The weather was cool and my legs were cooperating and breathing was pretty normal.

When I downloaded the info from my Garmin I was shocked. My best pace yet!
25 minutes, 2.16 miles, 11:33 pace, avg HR 164 bpm

I made it into the 11s!! The running portions of my splits were 10:40,10:41, 11:11, 11:04, 10:11.
This was doing 5:1 intervals of 5 minutes running and 1 minute walking.
I'm very, very pleased with today's run.

Time for the weekly progress picture. Week 5 of half marathon training. I can't believe we're already on week 5!
And now for a random shot of me and my Moluccan Cockatoo named Sawyer. :-)

As far as weight loss goes, my weight is a bit up today but the clothes are fitting looser. But I also have a pulled muscle in my neck so my shoulders and neck are very sore and holding fluid. I went to the chiropractor yesterday for an adjustment but apparently you can't adjust a strained neck muscle. LOL

Have a great weekend! I'll be out in the woods exploring and running and biking. I'll see you when I get back. And there will be pictures. :-)

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME!
    And you look great to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good, Kelly. I never fail to be impressed with your workouts. I hope to take a cue from you and get back into a workout plan myself soon. There is just too much going on right now for me to be able to attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biking is perfect restful cross training from running. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to running in cooler weather - it's amazing how much your pace improves! Like I said on FB, I'm so impressed with your running outfit - the way you matched the shoes is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANd I said on FB - you look wonderful and you are an amazing woman and a great friend! Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU have a great weekend.
    I shall be outdoorsing vicariously (because that's a thing right? :))


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha - I knew Shelley would mention your coordinated running outfit!

    Have fun camping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the neck is feeling better and that you are having a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)