Monday, September 19, 2011

Weekend Fun and More Running

First, Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!! Argh, me booty is sore from me run this weekend.

So Friday the kids had park day with the local homeschool group. Rachel decided to make some cupcakes for her friends. I had one bite. She insisted. I swear!
That night Chuck and I met up with friends at Molly's Pub to see Tomfooligans, a Celtic punk rock band. Our friend Kyle was celebrating his birthday.

 Great band. Afterwards we got a group shot with them. I shouldn't be allowed to have this much fun.:)
It was a blast, of course.  Ever wanted to know what a Celtic punk rock band sounds like? Well, here ya go!
It really was a lot of fun. Kyle used to be a DJ and loves music. The band kept picking on him the entire night.

I asked the lead singer what he did during the day. He's an elementary school teacher in Houston! Punk rocker by night.
-------------------------------
I may have stayed out a little later than my usual time. I may have slept in a little later on Saturday too. Which means I may have skipped my group run.
(hangs head in shame)

So Saturday was a rest day for me and I mean that in every way possible. I did nothing. I rested. And it felt so good.

Sunday morning I knew I had to get out there and kick the asphalt out of 5 miles. I've done 5 miles before. But the running intervals that I do now are more than I used to do. Five minutes running can seem like forever when you're tired and that 1 minute of rest isn't anything! Poof! It's gone and time to run again.

I got geared up and headed out the door. It's sprinkling. We haven't had rain in so long that I dare not complain about it. Besides, I'll let you in on a little secret. I like running in the rain.

The sprinkle did eventually turn into some real rain and water was dripping off my arms. Wet socks are so not cool!

The first 4 miles I felt fantastic. Let me revise that: the first 3 miles I felt great. Then mile 4 begins to approach and I'm starting to think that it's getting a bit tougher and looking forward to it being over. From mile four to five I was pretty sure I should just call it a day. But when you've gone that far you push through. I mean, other people are out there pushing themselves to the limits why can't I? So I did! I didn't slow down one bit.

5 miles in 1 hour 3 minutes, 12:40 pace
Nope it wasn't fast but I don't care one bit. I did it! :)

While I was running, Chuck picked up breakfast and a big bag of ice. I got home and got in my swimsuit and sat in the tub filling it with cool water up to my hips. The bag of ice was sitting in a cooler next to the tub and I would grab handfuls of ice and put it into the water. Eventually I poured the rest of the bag of ice in the water as I gasped at how cold it was. Goosebumps!  I sat and soaked for 20 minutes. My first ice bath.
Why in the world would I do that to myself? Well, I've heard and read from more than one person that it helps with recovery. You're supposed to try to do it within 24 hours of a tough run.

Did it work? Well yes and no. Mostly yes. I woke up the next day and my legs feel fine. My hips are not happy though. They are not amused.

After soaking in the ice bath (by the way, it is difficult to walk after the legs are numb. Just an FYI) I got cleaned up and went out for a little shopping. Looked around for an armband for my phone but found nothing at Academy and Best Buy. Anybody know where to get those? I had no problem finding them for iphone but not for my Droid.

Eventually I ended up at the Halloween store. Rachel and I love this place!
 While we were there we did end up buying our costumes. I'm a pirate! (perfect for Talk Like A Pirate Day!) Me thinks I should get an eye patch. Perhaps some stockings to cover the legs.
 Rachel is the girl version of Jason. Awesome!
It was a good weekend. It's always kind of sad to see it end but I'm really looking forward to next weekend. Beachpalooza!! I'm sure there will be a Picturepalooza post after that!

Have a good Monday, maties.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Kelly...love the costumes!! Ya'll look great! We also got rain yesterday...on and off all day. Made it SO easy to stay inside and do not much of anything--except watch football.

    Lots of luck Saturday at Beachapalooza. I'll be thinking of you while I do my Walk Like MADD 5K at the high school....

    Have a GREAT week and we'll talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the costume. I have a pirate wench costume from last year that I ended up not wearing. I will use it this year. Sounds like you had a great run. I admire your tenacity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picturepalooza, indeed! Love your sass pose at the concert. :)

    I'm trying to respond to your email, but keep getting an error message. Have you been getting any emails since you sent me yours this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The costume is great! Are you wearing it today?

    The hip soreness sounds like a mechanical issue to me and an ice bath won't help that. You need to look up hip stretches and do a thorough set of those each time you run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the costumes. Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are ready for the NFL! They love the ice baths.

    Love your costume!!! You are a hot pirate! Rachel looks scary and gorgeous all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos!

    And great job on the run. I don't mind running in the rain either.

    About the ice baths: first let me say that everybody had to do what he or she likes but it is said that an ice bath helps for a speedy recovery. But when you run you are also building muslces and ice baths can slow that down.
    Personally I don't use ice baths, if my leg hurts a lot I use an ice pack and put a towel between my leg and the ice pack. But most of the time the foamroller works just well for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)