Sunday, October 30, 2011

Anniversary Edition

I have been such a bad blogger lately. Not only have I neglected my blog but I have not been reading your blogs. I'm sorry. It's been so busy around here in the Happy Texan household.

Thursday was my 21st anniversary.

Some trivia regarding Chuck and I:
  • we met in a stereo shop when I was 17 and he was 20
  • his boss made him ask me out
  • our first "date" was at a party at his house
  • within two weeks he had decided that I was "the one"
  • Chuck never asked me to marry him. It was assumed.
  • Neither of us remember much about our wedding
  • Time flies by way too fast
I decided to make this anniversary a little more fun than the typical dinner and a movie date night. It took planning and a bit of footwork.

Wednesday I was out shopping for all kinds of stuff for Thursday. Chuck never had any idea what was going to happen and I asked him not to guess. Chuck has a bad habit of reading minds. It's actually a little scary that he can read what people think or feel sometimes.

Thursday comes and it's a busy day as usual. Rachel has a class. I'm home by 4pm and then it's go time.

I packed an overnight bag and a toiletries bag and left it on the bed along with a card that gave instructions:
  • Pack for 1 night
  • Bring suitcase and toiletry bag
  • Put on something nice
  • Go to 2500 South Shore Blvd.
  • Text me when you first turn on FM 518
  • Go to front desk and ask for room key to Kelly Schumann's room
In the meantime I rushed to the hotel to check in and left a room key. It's a beautiful hotel.

 I rushed to the room (there was a lot of rushing on that day!) and got the champagne chilling, set out some Godiva truffles, set out some battery operated candles in the room......


 By this time I was sweating from trying to make everything perfect. I turned the AC down to 62* to try to get things chilled down.

Time to get dressed. I bought a little black dress for $22 (love me a good bargain).  I wore the earrings, which you can't see in the picture, that I wore when I got married 21 years ago.
 I also bought some red heels Wednesday to go with my dress. (sidenote: I had to return those cute little heels because they gave me a very nasty blister. They were so cute!)
 Then it was time to wait. The room had a nice balcony.
 Finally I receive the text that he has turned onto 518 so I leave a card on the bed that says to meet me at the bar in the lobby.

I go downstairs and take a seat at the bar. I felt a little uncomfortable at first. I was the only girl sitting there with a bunch of men. But after having a Grey Goose martini I felt much more relaxed.
 One gentleman offered to buy me my next drink but I declined. Thank you anyway. I chatted with the bartender for a while and he made me a drink called a Starf***er. Raspberry vodka, watermelon pucker, and a bit of Red Bull. Wow!! That's some tasty stuff!
Chuck surprises me. Apparently he caught a glimpse of me at the bar (though I still don't know how!) while he was waiting to get his room key. He says hi then goes upstairs then he's back down and we have our drinks. It was a lot of fun surprising him. He brings back a very sweet anniversary card for me. Thank you, Chuck!
 OK. So these aren't the best pictures.

We then headed to Cullen's Upscale restaurant where I had reservations. Another surprise.

We started off with tuna tartar in wonton cups. Oh, these were incredible!
 I ordered the special which was 24oz of dry aged beef. Delicious!
 Though he's not smiling, trust me he was very happy and impressed with what I went through to pull everything off. We had a great time.
 We ended the night with an order of perfect creme brulee and headed back to the hotel in the rain. Apparently we were getting a cold front.

The next morning we got to see a nice view from our balcony while we sipped champagne. It's like a mimosa. We just left out the orange juice.
 Then downstairs where we had complimentary breakfast buffet. Yum!
We had a wonderful time. I had fun planning the whole thing. Surprises are so much fun!

And when I got home my anniversary gift was in! I ordered it myself (why thanks, Chuck! It's just what I wanted!) . I guess the 21st anniversary is the year of iron because I got myself a Timex Ironman GPS training watch. I'm a bit excited about this.
I think this was one of our more memorable celebrations. It was a lot of fun to plan. :)


Happy anniversary, Chuck. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

13 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to the most beautiful, intelligent, witty, funny... Lady in the world. I could use more adjectives, but it would take a very long time to type.
    A little over two decades, and yet it feels like it has only been a breath, a moment in time.
    Thank you for planning such a wonderful evening. It was truly remarkable.
    I am so very fortunate to be your husband. I will never let you go.
    Happy Anniversary, my Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh our 15 is coming up in January.
    I should plan a weekend away.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't imagine two people more deserving of such happiness. In this day and age, 21 years is something to be completely proud of!! Cheers to both of you!

    Oh and Kelly...if Chuck is able to read minds and feel what others are feeling...maybe he's your vamp lover after all (a la Edward/Jasper combo) and you can tell him I said so! hahahahah!

    Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome tim in your life, Kelly!
    Love Chuck - what a great guy.
    AND you.
    And the Red Bull Drink sounds pretty snazzy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwww... that sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just awesome Kelly! Our 20th is coming up in May and you've given me some ideas here....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Kelly and Chuck. I'm so happy for you all. I'm glad you had a great time. Sounds very romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, so cute! Love Chuck's comment too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary!

    What a great surprise for Chuck, I can totally understand he is so happy with you.

    Fun fact is that we had our anniversary too last Saturday (17 years) and booked a hotel for 1 night too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad the surprise worked! Chuck, this was in the planning stages in my pre-op room...your wife worked on this for a while! :)

    Love the dress and shoes and woot, even the red nails, hubba hubba! Also impressed that it went off without a hitch and you didn't have a Modern Family moment in the bar, lol!

    Just curious, why the Ironman...what does it do that the Garmin doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 21st Chuck and Kelly. LOVE the celebration!! Cheers to many more decades and memories together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great surprise! Looks like a really wonderful time!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You two are amazingly cute together! I'm so glad you had a fab anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)