Monday, October 10, 2011

Focus and Happiness

Monday was a scheduled rest day due to the 5 mile run (which turned into a little over 6 miles for me) on Sunday. Only one side of my hip was not thrilled with the run but even it wasn't too bad.

So I decided to do weights. It's so difficult to take rest days. I know how important they are but I feel like I'm slacking when I don't do anything. I did, however, take it very easy on the legs.

Chalene Xtreme, Push Phase, week 1, circuit 1
This portion of the exercise regime has me lifting as much as I can to fail by the eighth rep. Today's focus was mostly on the arms. 33 minutes of slow, heavy reps. By the end of it my arms were shaking so much that I had difficulty holding the phone!!! I am not kidding. It was a killer workout.

And then after 8 reps there is a 10 second rest period then 3 more reps of very slow lifting to break it down even further. Tough stuff!
-------------------------------------
Bruise from bicycle is looking nasty!
 --------------------------------
Had to get out on the roads today and saw pretty sunbeams shining on the Houston traffic.
 --------------------------------------
Went out to BJ's Brewhouse where Monday nights are $5 martinis. I had 3. It was Monday and I felt I needed it.
 I had a cobb salad too. Tasty.
-------------------

I have to keep a focus in my life. I love goals. They can be anything from reading a series of books to planning a certain vacation to a health related goal. But I must have something to look forward to. It's just how I work.

Sometimes I lose focus of goals and get a bit scatter brained. I'm all over the map! Then I regroup and put my goals back in focus.

Today I was talking to a friend about goals and it made me reevaluate my own goals. What are they? Where do I see my life going? I had to stop and seriously think about it.

My goals:
  • to run a half marathon
  • to complete a triathlon
  • to ride in organized bike rides
  • to feel comfortable in my own skin
  • to get a flat stomach
  • to fit in a size 8 (which then has the added bonus of joining an outdoor social club as a reward)
  • to have the body of what I think an athlete looks like
  • to be happy
  • to try new things and live a full life
I must keep these goals in mind or I become like a ship in a storm without a rudder. I have no direction! And occasionally I have to be reminded of my focus.

In the beginning, it was all about the number on the scale. Now I have a mental picture of what I want to look like and who I want to be. I want to look like a fit woman. I want to be a happy, fulfilled woman with no regrets. I want to be someone who is not afraid of failure.

Goals are necessary in life. I strongly believe that! It's hard to plot a direction if I don't know where I want to be. But now that these goals are concrete I know what I have to do to achieve them. I have focus!

The reason I set goals is to be happy. A Happy Texan, right?! To become a better version of me. To improve on my life. To bring happiness to family and friends.
So what makes this girl a Happy Texan?
  • experiencing all life has to offer
  • trying new things
  • competing in running races
  • trying new sports adventures
  • making new friends
  • pushing myself outside of my comfort zone
  • working on becoming fit
  • seeking adventure at every moment available
  • sharing all of these things with the people I care about
Happiness for me is being comfortable with who I am and sharing the things I love with the people I love. And also to surround myself with people who bring me joy (which I think I'm doing a pretty good job of)!!!


What makes you happy? Do you set goals to stay focused?

6 comments:

  1. Goals.
    Hmmm.
    Maybe "focus" is what is missing in my life, too!
    I just kinda go along from day to day.
    Thanks, Kelly!
    Great post!
    Flat Belly and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you definitely DO try to experience all that life has to offer! :) You are becoming your own person and it's great to see you bloom, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, especially the healthy ambitions.

    It is more difficulty as you age to set 'long-term goals, but is not hard to find ways to be happy in your own skin at any given time

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its great that you are setting goals and working toward them! I do the same thing. I find if I have a new goal I am always moving forward and working harder to achieve them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My. What you said here
    "I must keep these goals in mind or I become like a ship in a storm without a rudder. I have no direction! And occasionally I have to be reminded of my focus."

    That's what is happening to me right now. I really am flailing around right now and really need to set some goals and follow them.

    Nasty bruise there too! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)