Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Friends Edition

Saturday. What a day! I haven't had a day like that in years!

It all began at 5:15am which is an hour that should be dedicated to sleeping in my opinion. Way too early to get up to run! And I paid to do this with a running club. Oh, yes!

For early morning runs I have to have everything I need gathered together in a central location. My brain just doesn't wake up until 8ish. Before then I'm on autopilot. A dysfunctional autopilot at that!

I stumbled out the door and was at my group run location by 6:10am. It was still very dark so I got to wear my new blinky light! There's one thing to cross off my bucket list: wearing blinking lights in public. (I like lights and sparkly things.)

We had a small group that morning. Maybe the smart runners decided to stay home? Renee and I stayed together but everyone else was scattered into mini groups. This was to be our 7 mile run.

All was going well. I mean, my legs were a little tight but other than that nothing major. Then my left knee started to bother me. As the run progressed so did the pain. Renee was having trouble with her foot so we took a few more walk breaks than usual.

Even through we were both not having our best run we still laughed. I think we may have been a little delirious by the time we ran passed a sign that announced we were leaving the city limits.

We even made up our own math that we call "Runner's Math". It's a way of rounding up so that your brain doesn't freak out too much on a long run. For instance, once we hit 3.2 miles we'd say it's really the same at 3.5 miles. And once we hit 3.5 miles we'd say it's really the same as 4 miles. This went on the whole way.

At mile 6.5 I found a snake in the road and stopped to help him out. He didn't seem to appreciate it at all.

We finally finished up and afterwards we were sure that we could have run a half marathon that morning but we were choosing not to. That's what happens when endorphins meet delirium.
7 miles. Done and done! We're not going to discuss pace. The main idea is that we finished.

Half marathon week 10 completed.
To home for a very quick shower, pack for a road trip then out the door to meet fellow blogger Jinny in Galveston!

We were to meet at Casey's at noon. I had to stop at a Walgreens because I forgot to put on deoderant and needed to buy some. Plus some gum. And a Rock Star. It's so hard to leave Walgreens with just one item.

Got to meet the lovely Jinny and her cool hubby. Casey's has a Texas sized shrimp in front!

We hung out, drank a beer and a screwdriver. Screwdrivers were on sale for .99!! Ate some lunch and chatted some more. It was over way too quickly. So good to meet you, Jinny!

Mad dash back home to finish packing and get on the road with the family. Finally get the kids to my mom's and get checked in at the hotel. Nice room!
 My BFF from high school Wendy picked me up at the hotel and we were off for a fun filled night. Not all of that night will be mentioned on the blog as some things were sworn to secrecy as they should be.

The idea was to just go place to place and have fun. We had no idea where the night was taking us. My strategy was to have a lot of water with each drink I had. I did not want to overdo it.

First stop was for dinner at a Mexican restaurant with Wendy and Melanie.
 One margarita. And a big glass of water.
 My dinner was some sort of cheese with chicken and jalapeno wrapped in bacon. Oh yum! Could only eat two of the little bundles.
 Then off to our next stop all the while laughing and having the best time!
 Worst margarita ever. I had to send it back and I don't usually do things like that. It was so crowded!
 I decided to go to the bar to just get a shot of tequila. A couple of gentlemen offered to buy my drink which was a nice compliment but I declined. As a matter of fact, I didn't even order my drink. We decided to go somewhere else afterwards and hung out there for a while. No pictures. I did have one drink and lots and lots of water.

Off again we go!! Chuck had sent a text telling me where he was so we decided to crash his party. We pull up in the parking lot and hear someone holler a couple of rows over in the parking lot. I yelled too. Apparently I am a hollaback girl.

They make their way to us and Wendy recognizes them as guys we went to school with!! We exchanged hugs and all went inside. Chuck had no idea I was there. I had to go to the restroom first and he was sending me texts while I waited in line.

I came out and saw him at a table and went up and asked if I could buy him a drink. His expression was hilarious! His friends bought me a drink and we hung out for a bit with the high school friends.

Then I spot this "cop"!  We made eye contact, I pointed at him and beckoned him to come to us so we could get a picture. He was a good sport. Mr Reno 911.
Things got a little weird (and that's all I'm going to say about that) so we decided to call it a night at 1:30am and leave.

We really did have a total blast! My throat was sore the next morning from laughing so hard. We were laughing so hard that Wendy was having trouble driving. We were crying from laughing. I think next girls' night out needs to be in Houston. :)

Saturday was a busy bundle of fun. Sunday was home and to bed early!

I haven't been running this week. I've been letting my knee heal and it's feeling fine today. May give it one more day off before I test it.

Hope your weekend was fun too!!


  1. Sounds like a great weekend! I haven't had a margerita in forever. Might need to correct that soon.

  2. I must be getting old, because I'm tired just reading about your weekend! I don't know how you do it, but it sounds like fun!

  3. Screeeech!!! Wait?? What did I miss?? Half marathon training?? I'm impressed!

    Well, I went through the same as you the entire summer for marathon training (my first ever). But I just had to get up at 6:00 on saturdays (still way too early when I'm used to getting up at 9:00!) But I'll tell you, it gets easier!

    Now that they are over for me...I kind of miss them! :(

  4. Seriously Kelly! I just looked at some of your pics (I've been slightly MIA lately). You are looking great!!!!

  5. I have to agree with Shelley. Your weekend sounds like fun but it wears me out just reading about it. Where do you get the energy?

  6. sign me:



  7. Iwould not have made it past one Margarita... and it would be home for me

  8. "Texas sized shrimp" cracked me up. Isn't that an oxymoron?

    You are correct that pace is not always important. The longer your mileage gets, the more important it will be to just lay down the miles. Get thos legs used to turning over and over. Pace comes eventually!

    What a fun weekend you had but I'm a little scared... not sure I can hang with you Kelly!


I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)