Monday, October 17, 2011

Harvest Moon & Margarita 5K

Wow! What a weekend. There's no way I'm going to try to cram it all in one blog post. Think I'll take a couple of posts and divide it up between Friday and Saturday.

Friday morning Rachel had a dance committee meeting at a park for a high school dance coming up. It was such a gorgeous day!!

Chuck and I were walking around in the sun and I was in such a good mood (I am a Happy Texan, after all) and this was a little conversation:
ME: *while walking in the sun* "I feel like I should sparkle like a vampire!"

CHUCK: *long pause* "What the hell is wrong with you?!"

Some people just don't understand. *shakes head*

Afterwards we stopped for some lunch at a place that sells donuts in the morning and they had one of these maple bacon donuts left. Maple and bacon? They go together like me and.......something. My point is that I couldn't resist. BUT I did split it into thirds. So I wasn't too bad.

It really was good!
 And what should arrive in the mail but my new favorite shirt!! (I saw a guy in the same shirt the next night and gave him a high five. It may not have been appropriate but it felt right at the time.)

I took a shower (Doesn't everyone take a shower before going to a race and getting hot and sweaty?!) and then it was time to head to Galveston for my Harvest Moon & Margarita 5K. I was running this one alone. Tried to recruit some friends to join me but it just wasn't meant to be.

Got in line to sign up and get my goodie bag at Tortuga on the Seawall.
 They were late getting their shirts so when they finally passed them out they were still warm. Hot off the press!
 Hung around for a while then it was time to gather for directions. We were required to wear a reflective band that they supplied. That's me in the green shorts and blue top.
 Not only did we get directions but there was a little fun. This was a "harvest moon" run so we all howled at the moon. That's a new one for me. But I'm thinking I might want to try it again. ;)

It was time to get to the Seawall so all the runners crossed the street together.
 This was a very easy going "race". It really wasn't even a race! No bibs. No timing chips. I just took my time and stopped to take pictures whenever the mood struck me. One time my phone decided to shut down so I stopped to mess with it for a while.
 Galveston holds a special place in my heart. I've talked about moving here more than once. Funny thing: the sound of the waves used to make me feel so lonely. But not anymore. Weird, right? Guess because it's so big and made me feel so small. But I find it peaceful now.
 The sun begins to set and the wind blows and all is right with the world.
 I passed Chuck at one point as he was sitting on the Seawall watching the waves. He got up and ran with me for a little bit then went back to the restaurant.

I finally got to my other turn around location which was a water station.
 Why have water when they're offering shaved ice from Rita's?! (Rita I'm assuming is just a name because there was no alochol in these guys.) Tasty. I stopped and tried to get a non-blurry picture. I failed. LOL Ate some then tossed the rest. VERY good. I got 3 free coupons in my goodie bag for bigger servings. I think that's worth a trip back to Galveston, don't you?
 I was feeling pretty good during the run. Could it be because of all the breaks to take pictures? Nah!

I did have to avoid pedestrians though. This was not a closed course. People would get on the sidewalk and just stand in the middle so I had to dodge a few people. Once it got dark that was a bit more treacherous and I stepped off the pavement and kind of twisted my ankle a bit when dodging a dude who wouldn't move. I didn't think it was a big deal until I tried to run on Saturday. Now I really feel it behind my knee and up my quad. Something got messed up!

I finished my 3.1 miles in 38 minutes. Not a great time. But it is the same time I finished the Purple Monkey 5K. It's kind of a big deal because I stopped so many times during this race to take pics and just enjoy the ride. I wonder what I could have done had I not stopped! I did get one interval in where I did not stop and I was running in the 10 minute pace. Not bad for a turtle!

Back at the restaurant  we got in line for the buffet that was supplied.
 And the free margarita!!! On the rocks for me. I'm not a fan of the frozen stuff. (unless I make it. haha)

Then it was time to toast a good race. L'chaim! To life!
 Since I had an early run the next morning this was all the partying that this little girl was going to participate in. Drove back home and got to bed at a decent hour. Five a.m. comes way too early. ;) But all the way home I was annoyingly happy again. There is the feeling that you get after a race that can't be beat. I love it!!

Tomorrow: crazy Saturday edition.


  1. Well, that explains why I saw Chuck running with you in some of the official pictures...I was thinking "wow, he's dressed REALLY casually for a race" - LOLOLOL.

    P.S. That is a really pretty race shirt!

  2. Shelley, you saw the race photos?! Lol Forgot you're friends with them on facebook. Lol

    Chuck, don't even go there! What happens in Beaumont stays in Beaumont. Right?

  3. Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I could be a runner but my knees and hips just won't cooperate. I envy your enjoyment though. :)

  4. LOVE it all !
    Wow - Everything!

  5. Fun, fun, fun!!! Hope your knee is feeling better!

  6. What a fun race. But I guess I would have PR'd here because I run for wine, I run for margarita's, I run for every alcoholic beverage :)

  7. Chuck is a riot. And so are you!

    I love the photo of all the runners at the beginning with their various reflective bits, ummm reflecting. I bet you were sparkly then Kelly.


I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)