Thursday, November 3, 2011

Drills and Goals

Speed drills. Speed and I go together like oil and water unless we're talking about driving. I loves to drive me a fast car. But me? This body was built for comfort not speed.

Nevertheless, my running schedule calls for these things so I'm assuming it knows what it's talking about. Trust me when I tell you that these are not fun. This is a "let's get down to business" run.

The schedule reads "12 30x30" which means that I run at 90-95% capacity for 30 seconds then recover for 30 seconds, repeat 12 times. So it's only a 12 minute workout. Shouldn't be too tough, right? Wrong! I was pretty sure I saw Death eating a sandwich under a tree waiting for me to pass out. Or maybe that was a work crew. Not sure.

I walked to the gravel "track" in my neighborhood and ran all out then rested as was prescribed. My heart and lungs tried to come up to see what the hell was happening out there that would require me to run for my life for 30 seconds only to stop and walk for another 30 seconds.  I swear, even though 30 seconds is a short time, when you are pushing yourself it seems to last forever.

But I did it!!! Those 12 minutes can be a tough workout! And I was able to provide a show for a work crew sitting under the trees eating their lunch. Normally I would have gone somewhere else to run to avoid being seen doing my thang but I needed that track. Ugh.

average 10:50 pace, 1.11 miles, 12 minutes, avg HR 165
Just the running splits: 7:45, 8:51, 9:10, 9:11, 8:04, 8:14, 8:15, 8:06, 8:35, 8:59, 8:41, 7:41

It's a big improvement over the first time I did drills so I'm happy with that. For now. ;)
---------------------------------------------
Last night I started trying to figure out my Timex Ironman trainer GPS watch (I have to give it a name. I don't want to keep typing Timex Ironman trainer GPS watch). It's pretty cool so far! I hope I remember what I learned last night because I was trying to read the manual after a shot of Nyquil. Not a good idea.
-----------------------------------------------
Goals! I haven't set any for a while and I find I do better with them. I have focus and direction with goals. So here it goes.

November-----
  • Lose 5 pounds (more would be better but I want to set achievable goals)
  • stick to running schedule
  • Eat fewer carbs
  • Clean for 15 minutes per day during the week
  • Take care of myself
  • Look for something to be happy/grateful for each and every day.
  • Try something new. Could be food, exercise, or a new experience....whatever.
  • Start working on a triathlon training schedule
Yeah. I want to try a tri. I think it would be fun. Don't you? Swimming, biking and running! I like those things. Why not get a pretty medal for doing something I like?! Plus I would really like to keep working towards shedding a bit of fat.

OK. So they're not earth-shattering goals. Pretty basic. But I'll keep them in mind and it'll help me stay on track.
-----------------------------------
Tomorrow I leave for a trip to Beaumont to go run a 5K with my friend Wendy and Chuck!! So I may not get to update blog again until Monday. Maybe I'll bring the computer with me so I can do it Saturday night.
-----------------------------------
In other news, I realized this morning that I only have 5 weeks until I run my first half marathon!!!! Am I in a panic? Well, yeah....a bit. My heart beats fast just thinking about it. I know I'll be able to do it. The idea is just a little scary. This is it. This has what I've been working towards. It's like some sort of grand finale or something. THE moment. So I'm a little nervous.

But failure is not an option. No matter what, I will complete it. In case you're wondering which one I'm doing first, it's the Run Girl Half Marathon. It's women only and supposed to be very beginner friendly.
-------------------------------------
If I don't talk to you between now and Monday, have yourself a fantastic weekend!!!!

Are you training for anything specific? If so, share!!! We can cheer each other on.

8 comments:

  1. When I do the high intensity stuff, it's never easy!
    Strategic High Intensity Training.... S.H.I.T!

    A pound a week is do-able!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and have a great weekend. I can't wait to hear about the 5K. I wish you the best with it. I am so or in training for a backcountry hiking camping trip. We are hiking with full packs on Sunday to see how far we can carry our equipment in a a few hours. It will be a relatively short hike for our first camping trip but it should be a challenge anyway. I'll post about our efforts on after Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were training for the half in Sugarland to be your first - I'd be nervous if you were going to run the entire thing, but since you do intervals, you've totally got this!

    Have fun in Beaumont - a 5K must feel like a piece of cake (mmmm, cake) right about now! Oh, and I am not a fan of speedwork - good on ya for getting that beast done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick to your training - get those long runs in - and you'll be just fine to finish your half. Since it's your first it will definitely be one to remember!

    I feel exactly like you do about speedwork but it really is a necessary evil if one wants to be faster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death eating a sandwich under a tree...LOL!

    Congratulations on your tough workout! I know 30 seconds can really feel like forever when you are giving it your all.

    How about Robert for your Ironman? As in Downey Jr.

    Trying a tri would be fun...for you! I will be on the sidelines cheering!

    Have fun in Beaumont!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like doing intervals. It shakes things up from the boring old routine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great weekend Kelly!!! congrats on all your running success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think its awesome that you actually carried out the speed drills just because your running program called for it. I couldn't...didn't when I was running...the hill days either. I guess I just didn't want the "discomfort" from doing it instead off the perceived satisfaction of running distances. When I get back into running, though...I'll think of you and bite the bullet and do whats right.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)