Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011: A Year in Review PART 1

Travel back in time with me through the months of 2011 as I relive some of the highlights of the year.

JANUARY

This month I was an active girl doing strength training, Zumba, running 1:1 intervals, bike riding and anything else I could find to do. Confidence was soaring! I even got into size 14s! It was quite a big deal.

I remembered how to be a kid again and rode through the mud on my bike with the kids. We were filthy and had a blast!



 Even though it was cold and windy on one January day, we couldn't help but take the boats out on the water. It was a tough paddle with the wind blowing but we all had a great time anyway.


FEBRUARY

Still staying active. On Valentine's Day Chuck and I completed an "at home" duathlon as part of Lori's Heart Healthy weekend challenge. We ran 2 miles, rode a bike for 8 miles then ran another 2 miles. It was tough but we were proud of ourselves.
 I tired some interesting spa treatments for the first time. Even got a spray tan. Strange experience.

Went to San Antonio and met Anne (Carb Tripper) and had a blast! I also ate low carb on that trip and actually lost weight! That's when I started looking more into the low carb lifestyle.

 We even got to see Wicked! It was amazing.


Then a trip to Austin where we had a big Round Rock donut as seen on Man vs Food.
 We toured the Texas cemetery.


And got to see the Blue Man group! That was the coolest concert I've even been to. Ever!

MARCH
Still exercising. Trying to adjust to metformin but it's not going too great.

My mom has gall bladder surgery.

Chuck and I volunteered for 3 relays of the Texas Independence Relay. We were Motley Schu. I've never been so tired in my life. It's a 2 day race and we were up all night. But it was also a lot of fun.
We saw the Blue Man group in Houston.

We went to hockey games and a nice hike.


I was in a fender bender that hurt my neck but I'm fine now. The other party dodge insurance so I had to pay for all repairs. What is wrong with people?!

I also got into the 170s!

APRIL
Ran the Blue Bell Fun Run 10K Relay with Chuck, Shelley and her hubby Jeff. So much fun! All you can eat ice cream afterwards. Gotta love the outfits.
Date night at Tango and Malbec. Great food and tango dancers!

More hiking.

Weight is coming off pretty easy. As long as I actually stick to it! Funny how that works.

Found a worm in my cod! Oh my cod!
For Easter we got the kids custom chocolate eggs that were incredible!
MAY

Went on a trip to Canyon Lake where we swam and visited Gruene (a small town with shops and restaurants).




 We tubed the Comal River and had so much fun laughing and swimming.

 We decided to try zip lines for the first time. Everyone did great except me. I almost wet myself in terror. But I'd do it again. ;)



For Mother's Day we went up in a WWII era C47. It was incredible!!!



Rachel went to her first prom.


We went tent camping at Huntsville State Park. Usually we "camp" in the travel trailer. It got kind of chilly at night!




Chuck and I went to a Don Julio Tequila dinner. Now that was a lot of fun!

Later that month Chuck and I went away for a weekend at Canyon Lake and stayed at Canyon Lakeview Resort.

 The deer were everywhere and not afraid to get up close and personal.


 We enjoyed beautiful sunsets over the lake from the back porch. That evening a storm came and we sat outside listening to music, talking, and listening to the rain on the tin roof. It was the most relaxed I'd been in a long time.
 We went to a wine tasting at Dry Comal Creek the headed to Gruene for some good eatin.
 I had been saving this bottle of wine for a special occasion. This seemed like a perfect time. LIFE is a special occasion!
 Before heading home we took a helicopter ride over New Braunfels.
 Loved it. But the wind was blowing pretty hard which pushed that little helicopter around. Chuck and I both got a touch of motion sickness.


 The Texas Hill Country holds a special place in my heart. You can see the Guadalupe River flowing.
 A relaxing weekend away. We had such a great time.
Two days after getting back we had a Samuel Adams Beer dinner at BJs Brewhouse. Good food and great beer.
 This is where I was introduced to my favorite beer: Imperial White!
 Feeling no pain!
 And there was a certain frog who was always waiting for us at home. We named him Michigan J Frog.
 Rachel's cake skills continued to improve throughout the year and was even receiving a few orders! Very proud of her.
And I turned the big 4-0!
 To celebrate Chuck surprised me with a Nook color (which I love!) and took us all to San Antonio and spoiled me rotten. Just how I like to be spoiled. Rotten!

We toured the Riverwalk and hung out at the rooftop pool of the Crowne Plaza. That night we went to the top of the Tower of the Americas and laughed our butts off as the wind whipped our hair and tried to tug at our shirts.

 And I got to meet fellow blogger Ashley at Mi Tierra!

As you can see, it was a very fun year. I'll continue with June in another post.  Thanks for taking the trip down memory lane with me.

Today I was a little bummed because of very expensive car repairs and it seems like money is needed for so many different things. But as I go back through the year I can't help but smile as I relive all of the good times.

5 comments:

  1. In spite of a few bumps it seems like you had a wonderful year. I can't wait to hear about the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A WONDERFUL YEAR!!!
    I loved seeing you and meeting y'all in person!
    You are a true delight!
    And look at how awesome you look!
    Here's to many many more great times!
    2012 - bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Can't wait for part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an eventful year! I can't get over how much Charlie has grown from last January - your little boy is growing up right before our eyes!

    (I could have done without seeing that worm again - blech! How you ever ate seafood after that is a miracle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great year, Kelly! You have come so far with your running and you have a beautiful family!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)