Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Catching Up

Ah, it's that time of year when life gets so busy that I neglect my little blog. Sorry.

We're back from the lake. It was a nice little trip but it's always good to sleep in your own bed. We took walks, went swimming, and just relaxed. We didn't do as much as we usually do like tennis and mini golf and archery. It was mostly just hanging out and doing  nothing and sometimes that's the best kind of vacation.

Saturday morning Chuck had a shooting match. Here's a little video of one of the stages:
We had planned to grab some quick breakfast on the way. Pulled in to Jack in the Box and waited in line. The guy tells us to hold just a minute. Then comes back to tell us the grill is broken. Ugh! Spent all that time waiting so we didn't have time to go anywhere else. No breakfast!

By the time the match was over at 1pm we were both starving!

Chuck placed fourth in his division. He wasn't too happy about that but I thought he did good.

After taking a nap we headed out to meet friend's at a Mediterranean restaurant called Fadi's. It was pretty good but I'm not sure I'd be going back a lot.

Then it was off to Molly's Pub with Kyle and Valerie to see the Celctic rock band Tomfooligans. Love this band. We always have such a good time when we go see them. Wish they would come more often!
We had the best time! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Not that the band was so funny but Kyle is practically a comedian and kept us in stitches. My throat was sore from laughing so hard. Tears rolling down our cheeks. It was great. And before we left the band gave us each some stickers and guitar picks.

Here's a clip of the band in action:


Sunday was a nice lazy day at home with the family.

Monday I went out for my first run since the half marathon. Guess what. Couldn't run but for half a mile! It wasn't actually running. It was more like fast limping. It looked something like this:
My calves hurt so bad. They're still not better. To be honest with you, it scares me quite a bit.
I started taking my steroids yesterday (Prednisone) and doing my stretches that the doctor prescribed. I'm hoping it will help. In the meantime, I guess I'll just walk instead of risking doing some lasting damage. It's so frustrating!

I feel like I'm letting myself down. I have all of these goals. But I also know that this is temporary. So I just have to listen to my body and take it easy.

Last night Chuck rubbed my legs for an hour then wrapped them in an ice wrap. I did my stretches and took my other Prednisone.

That is some nasty stuff! It makes me feel so weird. Upset stomach, overall weird feeling and sweats. It's not pleasant but I'll do it if it will help!

So that's all that's been happening around here. Getting ready for Christmas. It really snuck up on me this year so I'm running a little behind.

Are there any goodies that you make every year as tradition?
Mine are Martha Washington candies and Oreo Balls. And every Christmas morning I make something for Chuck called Christmas morning quiche with sausage, eggs, sour cream and a lot of swiss cheese. He gets the whole thing.

10 comments:

  1. Ah, Sweet.... you are not letting yourself down. Let those strained muscles heal.
    You WILL be back out there sooner than you think. In the meantime, more rubs and lots of ice and stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask if you were stretching. Don't worry Kelly, hang in there. After a big goal like the half (or in my case the full), you get in this rut. Happened to me. You will dig yourself out.

    And btw, loved the marathon video! Those poor women! But they made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Kelly, hope your calves are back to normal soon. Have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be proud of how far you have come Kelly. After a little rest and following doctors orders, I think it will all be fine and you can tackle your next goal. Be patient, but be kind to yourself also!

    My daddy got me in the habit of Christmas bake-a-thons. Since he passed, I have been able to find one of his favorites--Chocolate Crinkles--that I make every year. I also make Oatmeal Cranberry for an aunt, and sugar cookies for Santa. I make a mess of other goodies and pass them around to the neighbors and family. It's the greatest!!

    Hope to see ya'll at New Years Eve!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues with your legs. That is scary. I hope the treatment helps and you get back to where you were before all of this happened. Your trip to the lake sounds wonderful. I wouldn't mind going somewhere for a few days just to rest up. We are planning a camping trip sometime next month if the weather cooperates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pain is starting to sound more and more like an overuse injury... the only thing you can do is REST, do your stretches, do your icing/heating, take anti-inflammatories and wait it out. But you've gotta be consistent with the stretching/icing/heating thing. As in several times a day! Sucks, (I know from experience) but you'll come back stronger. This time of year is a good time to rest and renew for the New Year anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You haven't stopped using the legs! No wonder they are a wee bit tired, eh? Love the vids and the bagpipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to make Pecan Date Nut Rolls. often called TEXAS date nut rolls, even Mexican Date Nut Rolls--all the came confection.

    Haven't made in years .

    From a retired pharmacist, do not be discouraged if the prednisone causes temporary weight gain. It is nasty stuff. We pharmacists named it the drug of last resort. NOBODY likes it and I have had plenty of it with my lung and sinus diseases over 75 years.

    My personal belief, but there is no scientific data to back it up, is it permanently changes metabolism.

    But you have proved you can overcome anything to get to a goal, so I have faith you will overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stretching really does help, but Helen is right, you have to do it over and over. You have the base mileage in, you have time before your next half marathon - now is the time to get your legs healed. So take care of yourself!

    How is Chuck doing after his surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to start some new traditions and one of them is snowshoeing around Christmas and New Years. It's such a fun way to get some exercise to balance out the holiday treats!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)