Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chili Day, Warm Hearts

Monday, Monday.The start of a new week. In Houston that meant a cold, rainy day. I was scheduled for an "easy" run but with the cold wind blowing the way it was I just wasn't looking forward to hitting the streets. Fortunately for me I have a YMCA membership where they have fancy treadmills with TVs which is pretty cool as long as you remember to bring your earbuds so you can actually hear what they are saying on the shows.

I got on my running gear and headed to the almost empty gym. Got on the treadmill and watched a silent movie about couples trying to pick out a house to buy. Think it was on HGTV. To make it interesting I added my own commentary in my head. Well, I couldn't say it out loud!

I got in 2.38 miles in 30 minutes. It felt good to work up a sweat.

When I got home I was so surprised to see what the kids had done while I was gone!
 So the Christmas tree is up. I have great kids. :)

When the weather is nasty outside I like to do what I can to make it cozy and welcoming inside.  A pot of chili seemed to be just the thing. I had a new recipe from America's Test Kitchen that I wanted to try. I had no idea it would make so much! This is a Le Creusset Dutch oven. Filled to the top! It made the house smell tasty!
 I had mine with a tiny bit of rice, cheese, sour cream and jalapenos. Yum!!
Sometime in the evening I suddenly developed a cough. Nooo!!!!! I can't get sick! My first half marathon is this Sunday!! And my calves are still a bit tight.

So I've made an appointment with a doctor for my cough and for my tight calves. Everything must be in working order Sunday. And the weather better cooperate too. I've seen a picture of the promised medal and it is good. Very good. And the goodie bag.....well, I'll just show you when I get it. ;)

The rest of the night was spent relaxing with the family. A pretty good day for a Monday if you ask me.

I'm really trying to eat right (for me that means low carb because of the insulin issues) so I think I'll start taking pics of my eats like I used to. It helped keep me accountable in the past. We'll see how it goes. I have lost 1.3 pounds since yesterday!! But it's always the same pounds that I've gained the week before. Ha!
----------------------------

And just for fun, here's a little something to make you laugh:

On the last day of school before the Christmas break, the children brought gifts for their teacher.

The supermarket manager's daughter brought the teacher a beautiful basket of assorted fruit.


The florist's son brought the teacher a bouquet of flowers.


The candy-store owner's daughter gave the teacher a huge, pretty box of asst. candy.

Then the liquor-store owner's son brought up a big, heavy box. The teacher lifted it up and noticed that it was leaking a little bit.. She touched a drop of the liquid with her finger and tasted it.


"Is it wine?" she guessed.


"No," the boy replied.


She tasted another drop and asked, " Champagne ?"



"No," said the little boy............."It's a puppy!"

9 comments:

  1. Max used to put up our tree when he still lived here...that was nice. You DO have great kids! And the tree looks wonderful!

    I am crossing my fingers that you have mild weather for your race on Sunday. I know we have a 30% chance of rain here - it's the BCS marathon that day, and yay, I get to be out at a water station. Better not rain - I don't think I can take being out in another cold, rainy morning. Grrr.

    Sending you "no sick" vibes...and also "happy calf" vibes. There - you should be all set! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great surprise your kids gave you! They are good kids.

    Ooooh it's very common to start feeling a bit run down right before a race. I think our immune systems get beat from all the training. Just make sure you rest lots and lots and lots this week - and stretch those calves every change you get!

    Hoping for a completely healthy Kelly and great weather for your race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thinking on getting to the doc. Fight the mental fight, too! Don't let your mind tell you that you are sick and can't run! You can do this and I will be cheering you from Beaumont on Sunday!

    It use to be my favorite tradition that Alyssa and I would put "It's a Wonderful Life" on the TV and make some hot cocoa to enjoy while putting up our tree. We didn't do it this year since this will be the first year that we don't have a separate house. I plan on watching it this Saturday, though. 65th Anniversary of the movie..Saturday is been deemed "It's a Wonderful Life" Day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our kids ARE awesome. So proud of them.

    Now if I can just get them to cut the grass....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ATK shows! And chili says fall...looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your Christmas Elves put the tree up while you were out!!!! Love the joke too. Have a great Tuesday, hope you shake whatever may be trying to creep into your immune system. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puppy pee!
    I love that you are taking pics of the food.
    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im a bad Texan as Im already whining for summer :)



    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The show is called House Hunters, and it is very addictive! Best of luck in your race!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)