Saturday, December 31, 2011

Lights and Laughs

Part 2 of my 2011 year in review will be coming soon but since the year isn't over I thought I'd wait. You never know what the last day of the year will bring!

Thursday night we finally took our annual trip to Moody Gardens in Galveston to see the Festival of Lights. First, we have our traditional trip to the seafood restaurant where we always seem to get the same thing: chicken strips for Charlie, fish and chips for Rachel, and crab cake burgers for Chuck and I. Excuse me, my mouth is watering just a little thinking about it.

Then off to walk through the lights. It was a perfect evening. Not too warm and not too cold.
 All of the butterflies were flapping their bright lit wings which created a psychedelic effect. We dubbed it Acid Trip Mountain.
 Ooooo. Ahhhhh. Pretty.
 This was my favorite. I loved the lights hanging down. It was like an enchanted forest. Then Rachel ruined the moment by comparing it to some worms that live in a cave somewhere else in the world and their poop hangs down like that and glows in the dark. Seriously?! What does a worm eat to make its poop glow?! Thanks, Rachel. Those lights will never be the same for me. Sometimes it's ok not to make comparisons. I like my unicorn infested enchanted forest vision better, thank you very much.
 I don't know why we always feel the need to take pictures in cheesy cutouts.
 It was surprisingly crowded for a Thursday night. Loved the castle. It was huge! Outside there was even a fire going where you could buy supplies to make a s'more. We didn't because I'm cheap. But we did get some spiced nuts! I'm not that cheap. ;)
 I have a thing for lights and all things that sparkle. I just walked around with my mouth hanging open gawking at the prettiness of it all.
 There's a yellow rose in Texas.......
 We had a great time like we always do. Last year I was walking/running a 5K every day and we had to walk around a lot more so that we all got in our 3.1 miles. Ah, memories.
------------------------------------
Friday Chuck and I had a date night. I had a couple of Groupons that needed to be used ASAP.

The night started with a trip to Shogun Japanese Grill and Sushi. I haven't been to an hibachi grill in years! I forgot how much fun they are.  I started the evening off with a Mai Tai. Yum! By the way, there are no "diets" on date night. I think it's a law or something.
 The chef put on a great show for us. It's hard to see but he's tossing an egg in the air.
 Not only did we get a show but the food was very good too! Here he's cooking our vegetables and the eggs for the fried rice and our shrimp appetizer. I've developed an allergy to shrimp but my throat didn't itch too bad with these.
 Part of the show was the chef making an onion volcano. It was the coolest!! I have to bring the kids back to see this. He threw some pepper on the fire and it went up in sparkles. Sparkles!!

After dinner we headed to The Comedy Showcase for the show. They had several comedians that evening and they were all funny. They introduced one comedian and it turned out to be our neighbor! How cool is that?! Small world.

While we were gone, Rachel was busy at home making gingerdead cookies. Clever girl!


As you can see, the past couple of days have been a lot of fun. I've had a blast. What a great way to end the year!

Tonight we're headed to Beaumont to spend New Year's Eve with my buddy Wendy and her family around a bonfire. I can't wait!

Hope you all have a wonderful New Year's Eve. Be careful out there!

Do you have any plans for New Year's Eve?

3 comments:

  1. Gingerdead men!! love it!
    Happy happy New Year to you,
    and your wonderful family, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lights at Moody Gardens are perfect for you...you DO love the lights!!!

    Happy New Year to the Schumanns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you and your family Kelly. May 2012 bring you all that you wish for...and more.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)