Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Rollercoaster Life

Life has ups and downs. It's like a living rollercoaster. I had a couple of downs that put me in an "I don't feel like blogging" mood. But I'm back! All is well!!!!

This is going to be a rather long post as I play catch up. Let's ride the roller coaster.

Down: Had to cancel our camping reservations because gas is just too darn expensive. Everyone was very disappointed but sometimes that's just the way things go.

Up: So we weren't going to get to have a camping Thanksgiving but we were invited to a family Thanksgiving. I haven't seen some of my family in over 12 years!

Down: I have always felt like I was analyzed by certain members of my family. Not my parents but aunts, uncles and cousins. It's like they can't wait for me to screw up or gain a pound or do something wrong. These people haven't seen me since I gained weight which means they haven't seen me since I lost weight. I still have a few pounds to lose so all they are going to see is that I gained weight!

Thanksgiving day comes and I'm so nervous that Chuck had to stop at a gas station so I could throw up.

Up: Everyone was great! No one told me I "had let myself go" (which at least one of them has done in the past). It was great to see everyone and catch up.
 My sweet parents. My mom has gone from 230 pounds to 153 pounds eating low carb.
 Down: Monday I set out to run 10 miles. My calves have been very tight and they hurt so bad that I could barely get in 3 miles. The last mile my entire right foot went to sleep and it felt like I was dragging my leg behind me. It was terrible. I felt defeated and etremely worried about my upcoming half marathon. I felt like I had let myself down because I did not accomplish what I set out to do. Very sad day for a Happy Texan.

Up: Love me some good cooking! I made a recipe from America's Test Kitchen for beef enchiladas, Tex-Mex rice and refried beans. Sure it takes a while to make everything but the results are incredible.

For the enchiladas you start out with chopped onions. I always cry when I kill onions.
 Sear the steak, in this case it was a flat iron steak, in a heavy Dutch oven.

 Then cook the onions in the same pot.
 Next add in some spices and fresh garlic.
 Add tomato sauce and chicken broth and the steak. Cover and let simmer until the meat gets tender, about 1.5 hours. Shred meat and strain sauce.
 Mix meat with some chopped pickled jalapenos, cilantro and Jack cheese. Roll in corn tortillas. Cover with sauce and more cheese. Bake. YUM!
 I have a special love for Mexican rice.
 My plate. Way better than any I've had in the numerous Mexican restaurants in our area.
 Up/Down: It's neat having a daughter who loves to make sweets. She made these German chocolate cake truffles. The down side is that they are so good that it's hard to resist them.
 Up: I decided to try a new pair of shoes to see if it would help my poor calves. I was feeling so down on my recent running experiences. I had a 20% off coupon for Luke's Locker so I went there and tried on a few shoes and left with a pair of Asics Cumulus for $90. Love the color!
 Up/Down: Chuck's knee surgery was Wednesday. I hate that he needed the surgery in the first place but at least it was a fairly quick procedure. He had a piece of torn cartilage in his knee that needed to be clipped off. All went well. Now we're just working on recovery. He's walking around and doing very good.
 It's still painful and his knee is swollen. Still, we keep a good sense of humor in the Happy Texan household. The incisions looked like eyes so I got a little creative. :)
 Up: Gas is expensive! But I had accumulated enough points at Kroger to save $ .60 per gallon on my gas! I remember when gas was under $1!
 Up: Apparently you can make turkey breast with gravy in a crockpot! Thanks to a great recipe from America's Test Kitchen again! Served with mashed cauliflower and spinach.
 Down: All week I had been down on myself. I think it's because of my bad run on Monday. Plus the runs had been getting more and more difficult! My legs were in a constant state of pain. I was beginning to question whether I should still try to run a half marathon. Maybe running just wasn't my thing. It seems so easy for other people but it's a struggle for me. It had a domino effect and pretty soon I was feeling ugly and fat and just had a big pity party and wallowed around in it for a few days.

Up: Saturday I took the Asics out for my 10 mile run. I put off hitting the streets as long as possible. I had a piece of toast with almond butter and a cup of coffee. Watched Friend Zone on MTV (where people who are friends see if they can make it as girlfriend/boyfriend). Finally I made myself go outside.

I started the warm up with soothing music and thought happy thoughts. "I want to be outside today. I want to be out here running for a couple of hours. I can do this. I'll stay out here for as long as it takes. I CAN do this!"

Then I started my intervals. I am very happy to report that the Asics immediately started to help my calf problem. I was so happy!!! I set up a little water station at home with a water bottle, electrolytes and Gu.
 I felt great right up until mile 8.5 and then it got tough. Real tough. The last mile and a half were a bit of a struggle but I didn't stop. FINALLY!!! I did it! 10 miles! Yeah, I was slow. But it didn't matter one bit. I just ran 10 miles.
 My confidence was boosted and I was one happy Kelly. My calves are still sore but there is no way I could have done that kind of mileage with the pain I had Monday. NOW I think I'm ready for that half marathon. Did I mention that it's next Sunday?!

Up: Trying to eat low carb. It's what my body needs. Fortunately there are tons of good recipes out there so that I never have to feel deprived.
Today I made a recipe for low carb cinnamon coffeecake. Turned out very good and uses almond flour and coconut flour instead of wheat flour. Only 3.7g net carbs per slice.
It's very easy to make. You can find the recipe for it HERE at this great blog. Check out her other low carb recipes. There are several I want to try.
----------------------------------

So there have been a few ups and downs. It happens. That's life. But I'm back and blogging and all is right with the world. Or at least all is right with my little world. ;)

Sorry I was missing for a while. I'm back!!!

Hoping that your week has been filled with more ups than downs.

8 comments:

  1. Bless your sweet heart!
    Glad Chuck is ok!
    And glad you are too.
    Ups and downs... yes.
    But at least the food and the company is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back! Yes, life is definitely a roller coaster sometimes. Sorry about the cancellation of camping - gas prices are terrible :( I also remember when gas when under a $1/gal. But I'm glad the new shoes helped with the running and hopefully things are looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly. Life in indeed a roller coaster. All you can do is put your hands in the air, ride it out and yell WEEEEE when it gets scary! Sounds like things are looking up though. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering how Chuck was doing, and why you weren't blogging - sorry for the downs (I'm all for the ups!) and I hope that you are now in a happier place overall.

    Sweet new shoes - glad they did the trick with your sore calf! You can totally do this upcoming half...I'm just hoping you'll have NO RAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to hear from you again Kelly and am glad that in the end everything is okay with you.

    Hooray for running 10 miles. Awesome! And good luck next weekend with the half, you'll rock it.

    Low carb works really good for me. I feel so much better. The only thing is that I should have started eating like this years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the Asics helped! You do realize you should be running those long runs pretty slow, right? It's to get you used to the distance and time. Save the speed for your race!!

    Glad Chuck got his knee taken care of. Isn't it amazing how fast the recovery is with the new fangled way they do surgery now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. umm...I didn't see any texts on my phone saying that you needed a mood boost. You do that for me...let me do that for you!!! Remember that next time!

    Glad that you are in a better frame of mind! Love the shoes! We all know that you will do fine on that half marathon....we are all cheering for you (you can hear us if you listen closely)! Tackle it sister and OWN IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are back ! I sure have missed reading your posts !! LOVE the new shoes, pink is my fav :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)