Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Induction Day 1

I had such a great December and it shows on my hips, belly and the scale. I pretty much tossed all caution to the wind and ate/drank whatever I wanted. Yesterday was time to face the music. I stepped on the scale and it said ugly things to me.

I noticed in my 2011 recap pictures that my face looked slimmer when I was really sticking to my low carb eating. So I'm back at it. This isn't just for weight loss but for my health. A girl with a wicked case of insulin resistance, PCOS and thyroid issues needs to watch those carbs even though I'm a pasta and bread lover.

Tuesday I started Induction phase of Atkins again. No nuts, fruit/fruit juices, starchy veggies, alcohol, grains, yogurt, milk, ricotta, sugar. I will be eating meats, eggs, veggies, cream, butter, cheeses and drinking lots of water. I will do this for two weeks before moving to the next stage and adding a few more goodies back.

In an effort to keep myself accountable I will be documenting my eats. Some of the carb counts I may have rounded up a little just to be on the safe side. I'm allowed 20g of carbs per day. That's not a lot!

Here are the eats for Tuesday.

Mock Danish approx. 2.7 carbs
Coffee with half and half  1 carb
 A cheese stick for a snack  1 g. carb
 Lunch was a tasty tuna salad with boiled egg on greens topped with cheese and Italian dressing. About 3.7g carbs
 5 ibuprofen for sugar withdrawal headaches

A small Atkins bar 2g carbs. No picture.

I made up some armadillo eggs for Chuck's breakfasts. It's a piece of jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese/cheddar mixture then wrapped in sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Hot) then rolled in parmesan and baked. Next time I'll use parchment paper because these stuck to the foil.
 I had to try one! Chuck ate the other.
Armadillo Egg .7g carbs.  These are really good!!
 For dinner I tossed some chicken breasts into the crockpot, seasoned them and turned it on low to cook most the day. The result was chicken so tender it could be cut with a spoon! Shredding it took no effort at all and it was delicious!
I shredded the chicken and put it on top of a huge amount of greens with cucumber, boiled egg, cheddar and Parmesan and topped it off with a homemade sweet mustard dressing that was incredible. Yum! Totally hit the spot. Approx 5.6 grams carbs
 Sweet Mustard Dressing
1/3 cup coarse-grain mustard
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar free pancake syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2/3 cup canola oil (I used olive oil)

Combine mustard, vinegar, syrup, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until dressing thickens. Use right away or refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Per 2-tablespoon serving: net carbs: 1 gram; total carbs: 1 gram;  Fiber 0 grams; Protein 1 gram; fat 15 grams; calories 140

For dessert I had a low carb ice cream bar. 3 grams carbs.  This is probably not induction friendly but oh well. This was followed by a glass of hot green tea.
My total for the day was 19.7 grams of carbs.

How did I feel? I did develop a splitting headache but I expected that. It'll go away. I was also a little hungry but not bad.

No exercise for Tuesday. I need to get back out there and try running again. I'm a little worried about how my calves will react but I just need to do it!

Chuck stayed home from work. He has a bad sinus infection. Poor guy.

And that's about all that's going on in this Happy Texan's life. :)  I'll be back tomorrow and let you know how things are going. I hope to get caught up with blogs soon. I'm behind on my reading!

Hope 2012 is treating you right so far!

7 comments:

  1. I can relate to the headaches - I think mine are more weather related than withdrawal related but it is hard to tell.
    I know what you mean by "free-for-all" - I think I did that for all of 2011. Now I'm getting my mind and hopefully my body back together again.
    Looking forward to your eats as I need some ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Kelly. I'm doing Atkins as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - those eggs look great!
    I love your food choices!
    Happy Induction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should do that crockpot chicken. I cook some chicken every week to use for lunches and I think that chicken would be a nice change from grilled. I also need to try making those Armadillo eggs - they're right up my alley!

    20g of carbs is nothing. Nothing. I couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Year! New Diet! I wish you luck, the food looks really good!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to be so strict with the food, but you've done it before and had *great success* (Borat), so I know you'll rock this again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Induction...Day 34 for me today...I am currently at 25 carbs a day...may increase to 30 on Friday...will see how I feel.

    Hope you get over the bad part soon, and I hope Chuck feels better too.

    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)