Monday, January 30, 2012

Plan B: The Race Report That Wasn't

Before a mini weekend recap, let me tell you about my half marathon!

Saturday night I got every little thing together including electrolyte mixes, Spibelt with bib pinned on (I was #1968...Chuck's birth year), Bodyglide.....everything! My timing tag was attached to my shoes:
I read every single thing on the race web site about the course and looked up the route on Google maps. Then I showed the family the course and everybody shook their heads in disbelief. Thirteen point one miles is a respectable distance but I never realized how far it was until I saw it on the map!

I began to dread this race which is something I've never done. There's usually a feeling of nervous excitement but never dread. Surprisingly, I was able to go to sleep without any trouble. Maybe it was the melatonin I took. No clue.

Sunday morning comes and I have to get up at the ridiculous hour of 3:30 am.  Insane! I'm thinking night races are the way to go in the future.

Having things put together the night before is always a good thing for me because I walk around in a semi-conscious state in the morning. I can't think at all. I just grab clothes and start putting them on.

I stumble to the kitchen and make a little breakfast that I have no desire to eat and wash it down with some caffeine. Sitting on the sofa, the dread of the upcoming race will not go away. Not only am I not ready for this but mother nature decided to visit that morning and I'm worried about logistics of the race. It's like I kept getting slapped in the face by the universe but I refuse to listen.

Finally Chuck sits beside me and starts to talk. He's already told me that he didn't think I should do this run but he would be there to support me if I want to do it. He even loaded his bike in the van so he could ride near me and keep me company. With a camera and a cowbell!

He tells me, "I have no doubt that you can finish this race but I also have no doubt that it will set you back again and you will have to pay for it. I'll be there to carry you to the car because I know that if you have to drag yourself across that finish line you will. You've already proven that you can run a half marathon because you've already done it! There's nothing to prove. It's ok not to go to this race. There are plenty of others. Don't hurt yourself because you think you have to run this race."

He was right and I knew it. I hate saying I'm going to do something and not follow through. I knew I was going to be disappointed in myself if I didn't go.

We talked for a while then I looked at the time. 5 am. I wanted to be there by then. The slower marathoners had just started their long journey. What should I do?

I decided to stay home. But I already had all my gear on! I was ready to go so I looked online to see if there were any 5K races that I could run instead. Just to be able to do something. There weren't any.

So back to bed we went and didn't get up until a little after 10. I was pretty disappointed with myself all day but I still think I did the right thing by sitting this one out. There will be other races.

As a matter of fact, I signed up for a half marathon yesterday because I have to have goals. Very goal oriented person. They keep me going. I must have something to look forward to!

So April 1st (coincidence that it's April Fool's Day? I think not!) I will be running Angie's Half Crazy Half Marathon The theme for the 2012 event is “Salute to Firefighters” which translates into big trucks, bright lights and lots of firefighters from different municipalities all cheering for us runners throughout every stage of the event. Should be fun!
--------------------------------------------

Now for a little weekend recap.

Friday night I had the opportunity to go to a bbq for the volunteers of the Houston Chevron Marathon/Half marathon. I didn't get to run or volunteer this year but I got to go as a guest of someone who did! It was packed!
I put sunglasses on some folks in case they didn't want their pictures on a blog.

That was a lot of fun and we all got great bbq and goodie bags.

Saturday Chuck had a shooting match where he placed fourth (Yay! Good job!). I was very sleepy all day Saturday.

Made up some Crab and Avocado Salad with Sesame Wasabi Vinaigrette. So good! Glad I'm not allergic to crab!
 The recipe is in LCAF cookbook. Love the dressing. It's spicy and would be fantastic over cucumbers or over seared ahi tuna.

That evening after everybody was finally home (Chuck had been shooting, Rachel had been at the mall and Charlie playing with friends) Chuck cooked T-Bone steaks that were enormous and I made up some mashed "potatoes". Great dinner! This is my piece of steak. Charlie and I were able to split one.
 For dessert I cooked up an "apple" crisp.
 It's made with zucchini but you really couldn't tell. It even looked like apples. The kids were asking me if they were really apples. Nope. I'm getting some veggies in them! They eat apples too but I have trouble getting them to eat veggies like they should. Not this time! It was great and only 2.1 grams net carbs.

Sunday morning was the day of the race. When I finally got up I was a little restless with disappointment and wrestling with some feelings so I cleaned up the kitchen and tried a new recipe for a homemade version of Hot Pockets. For some reason my egg whites did not hold their shape after I beat them to stiff peaks. Instead of Hot Pockets I ended up with a hot mess. Some days it's best to just step away from everything because it's going to be one of those days. Know what I mean?
 That would be egg, cheese and bacon in there. Still tasted pretty good but I think I'd add a few more seasonings to the batter. That's just my personal preference. Egg Pockets. Hmmm.....not quite. I'll try them again sometime. Darn eggs.
 The day went by way too quickly. That happens when you decide to sleep away most of the morning. Went by in laws' house to see their new car and they gave us their old Mercury Grand Marquis! So sweet. Chuck is going to use it as his work car so he doesn't put more miles on the truck.  I forgot to take a picture!

That evening I decided I should stay away from cooking so we went out to Joe's Crab Shack where I got a bucket of snow crabs and a Caesar salad. Yum yum yum!! I left the corn and potatoes though.
 I started feeling better that evening so I made up a batch of No Bake Peanut Butter bars which are very similar to a pan of Reese's Cups! These are super rich and tasty. LOVE them. The recipe is in LCAF cookbook. 2 grams net carbs each.
I ran out of butter for the chocolate topping. Ugh. Another cooking disaster today? Nope! I made my own butter by whipping cream with a pinch of salt until the butter separated from the liquid, squeezed out some more liquid and voila! Butter!

So all's well that ends well. Sunday started out disappointing but ended on a good note with signing up for a new half marathon.

Guess it's time to start training!

24 comments:

  1. I cannot express how proud I am of you for making the decision NOT to run. I know it sounds weird and backward, but it takes a big heart to stand down sometimes.

    Now you have time to prepare for the next big race. And soon I will be training with you. Most importantly, you are without injury and will really be able to train properly.

    So SO happy for you. And I am ready to begin traingin, Sensei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know it was the right decision. Just hard to make. Thank you for supporting me but being there to talk me out of doing the wrong thing.

      Delete
  2. Well...I'm not surprised your DH beat me to the punch in praising your courage to make a tough decision. So...I'll leave it at that...congrats to Chuck on his shooting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kyle. Time to get training for the next one!

      Delete
  3. I want to echo Chucks praise. It does take amazing will power to stand down. I mean...check out your own blog this year. More runs than ever! Not one single person would even think of calling you a slacker..or even hint at it!!! I think you made the right choice. Take care of yourself and it will all fall back in line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You're a sweetie, Wendy! You ready to run with me?!

      Delete
  4. Very glad you didn't go, it was very cold and don't worry we have many more races coming up. The marathon BBQ looks like fun, might need to look in to that next year ;)

    HS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do cold if I can avoid it.
      Yeah, you should look into volunteering for some of these races. Apparently some of them feed you if you do!

      Delete
  5. The "winning" is not just about being the first to cross a finish line in a race.... We win when we treat ourselves with the respect it deserves! And all the good food you are giving it.... that's winning, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winning! Yes, sometimes the body yells loud and clear. Guess I'm supposed to listen to it sometimes! It feels good to be able to walk today. ;)

      Delete
  6. It's great that your husband was there to be supportive but let you make your own decision. Listening to your body is so important! Good luck on your upcoming race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure I'll be ready for the next one. ;)

      Delete
  7. Everything works out for a reason...maybe that reason was so we could talk via text all morning? ;)

    Hope you do come up for the Armadillo Dash...and of course, we have the Dirty Girl in March - woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great talking with you. I am going to see about getting up there in March. Maybe not the half marathon but I'd love to do the 5K with ya!

      Delete
  8. As the song goes, "you've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run..." Good choice made by you I'd say.

    I slept in on Saturday and was late getting going... then I decided to run a big longer and the next thing you know - the whole morning was gone! That is one thing I don't like about starting later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen.

      I agree. Late starts make the day seem shorter.

      Delete
  9. Everything happens for a reason Kelly. And you weren't meant to run this race. Chuck is right, there will be other races (and his cowbell and camera will be ready when you are)
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. Appreciate it. Was tough call to make. Especially when a medal is involved!!

      Delete
  10. Yay!!! Although I can tell how difficult it was for you to miss this race, I am so glad you did. Yay Chuck and yay Kellllllyyyy!!!!

    I love me some crab...dip, legs, salad...any way you make it, I will take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, girl! I can throw back some crab. Now to figure out how to make low carb crab cakes. ;)

      Delete
  11. It sounds to me like you made a good choice. We have to take care of our bodies. There will be another race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phew! I was worried. I think you made the right decision. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Your butter sub was clever there in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I made some chocolate mousse for the famiy from cream. Is there nothing it can't do?!

      Delete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)