Monday, January 16, 2012

Running Version 2.0

Yes, running. Let's try this one more time. I've only tried running once since my half marathon back on December 11th. And that little run that I tried was really just me limping in agony for a half mile. No running. Limping! I had injured my calf muscles and I had to wait for them to heal.

Rachel had a music history class this morning so I made a quick breakfast of Muffin in a Minute except I added some gingerbread seasonings.
I don't really like these. I don't know why I keep making them. I guess because it fills a void and they're quick and different. The texture is somewhat like a sponge. A tasty sponge but a sponge nonetheless.

If you still want to try them, they're 3.2 grams net carbs.
Here ya go. Muffin in a Minute:

Ingredients

Directions





  1. Mix the flax meal, baking powder, sugar substitute and cinnamon in a coffee mug or single-serving soufflé dish.
  2. Add the egg and butter (or oil). Mix with dry ingredients.
  3. Microwave 1 minute or more, until firm
  4. Turn out and serve with butter or cream cheese. Or toast before applying spread.

While Rachel was in music class I went for my first run in over a month. The temperature in Houston....in January....seventy-farging-five degrees! Not that I'm complaining. Maybe a little bit. It was warm but at least there was a strong 30 mph hour breeze to make the running a bit more interesting.
 How did it go, you ask? Well, I can tell you that I noticed I have lost aerobic fitness. I was huffing and puffing where it used to be no problem. And there's a big difference between running on glycogen stores and running on my own fat. My legs were not too impressed. But that could also be because I haven't run in so long. I've been told by someone who runs marathons like they're no problem that I will get used to this.

In 24 minutes I covered the amazing distance of 1.72 miles. Yes, I know. I was slower than slow. Part of that was on purpose. I was conscious of every step just waiting for my calves to start hurting again. I was so afraid of doing something wrong.

I stretched thoroughly before and after the run. And no pains!! Yay!!

As soon as I got home I had a pepper jack cheese stick.
 I felt great after the run but I wanted to get in a few more miles and get my body used to this whole fat burning thing.  By now clouds were rolling in and the wind was really blowing. I put on some tunes.
It felt so good to be out moving again!! It took until mile 1.75 and my legs started to feel so much better.


 Since this is version 2.0 of running for me, let's start with a new pic. Week 1. Sorry about the quality of the photo.
Time for lunch. Delicious leftover chicken fajitas, cheese, sour cream, onion and bell pepper, and jalapenos. I added an extra lettuce leaf after I took the photo. Needed more veggies in my day.
Got cleaned up. Check out my new sunglasses. Do I look like a bug? I've never had any this large!
And already it was time to make dinner! Where does the day go?!

I'm take you step by step through a recipe to make a cauliflower-cheese pizza crust.
Ingredients:
1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 
1 egg, beaten 
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt olive oil (optional)

pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings

First, grate a cauliflower in a food processor (except for the stems).
 Nuke the cauliflower for 8 minutes in the microwave. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 450*.

Mix 1 cup of cauliflower with a cup of mozzarella and the rest of the ingredients except the pizza sauce and toppings. Save the rest of the cauliflower to make more pizza crusts. Or make some more now!
 I doubled the crust recipe and made two crusts. Pat them out onto a greased cookie sheet and spread to about 9 inches. Spread a little olive oil on top if you want to help it brown a little.
 Bake the crust for 15 minutes. I had some run off. Oops. Next time I'll squeeze the cauliflower dry.
 Add pizza sauce and toppings. Broil until cheese melts, around 3-4 minutes. Darn run off messing up my pretty picture!
 This.was.awesome!!! Holy guacamole! The crust was not crust. Think a soft crust. No, you can't taste any cauliflower. I was told that it's better than Domino's. That's a compliment.
 Served with a big salad that had cucumbers.
 How good was it? There was not one bit left. Charlie even loved it.
There is a very happy Kelly Belly tonight.

I'm returning to running and low carb eating. Is there anything that you're returning to this year?

9 comments:

  1. So glad you had no pain running!
    And gonna have to try the pizza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting back on the road...so exciting!

    And that 'za looked awesome...I can even adapt that recipe for vegan, I think anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Kelly. Congrats on getting back to running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to try the pizza (though I'd have to make it with my family NOT in the kitchen- lol). congrats on the running! I need to get back to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you with those good runs!!! Are you going to do the half at the end of this month? And have you found a tiara and a tutu for your gorilla suit? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't complain about your slow run. Slow runs burn fat :)

    I'm returning to my goal weight if it's the last thing I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally tell how slow my legs are when I don't run in a while - even while doing other things!

    I love that cauliflower crust - when I made it I told my family "this is a knife and fork pizza!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I promise it does get better. I don't believe I ever said quite said marathons are nothing, but they can be very doable. Now my problem is finding one to do near here before the madness of May (cruise, daughter's graduation) sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to try that pizza! It looks so good. Good for you on running 2.0! I'm returning to tracking my food and C25K. I'll finish if it's the last thing I do!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)