Monday, February 6, 2012

Dijon Chicken (low carb)

Since the title is all about food, let's start by talking eats!

Breakfast: I made Kent's recipe for pancakes from Low Carbing Among Friends. It was really tasty! The kids even ate it up. It uses cream cheese, eggs and coconut flour and a few other ingredients.
Lunch: I don't know how it happened but I completely forgot about lunch. First I'm having breakfast then suddenly it's 4pm. That's not like me to forget eating! Fortunately I have enough fat stores to keep me (and a small village) going for a while.

Dinner: Dijon Chicken! This is a family favorite that I've been making for years. I know I've posted it on here before but for those who haven't tried or seen it, here it is again. Now with step by step instructions!

Here's all you're going to need to make this dish. Look how simple! Chicken breasts (recipe calls for 4 but I had 5), Dijon mustard, mayo (in this case, homemade mayo! Impressive, no?), and Monterey Jack cheese.
 Mix 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard with 1/2 cup mayo.
 Place chicken breasts in 9x13 dish and spread Dijon mixture on top.
 Sprinkle chicken with 1 cup of cheese.
 Cover loosely with foil and bake at 400* for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.
 This is really tasty and makes for tender chicken. It's good eats! Only 1 gram of carbohydrates per serving.

Here's the nutritional info:
Nutrition Facts
4 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 484.5
Total Fat 31.1 g
Saturated Fat 8.6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 12.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.5 g
Cholesterol 138.6 mg
Sodium 650.5 mg
Potassium 433.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
Sugars 0.0 g
Protein 46.3 g

I served it with steamed broccoli and a big salad with cucumbers and blue cheese dressing.
 Check out my cucumber! It's happy! :) I bet it wasn't so happy after I hacked it into pieces. Ha! Vegetable abuse.
 Dessert: Needed a little sweet. Here's a quick yet tasty little bite of chocolate pudding. 2 grams carbs because of cocoa powder.
Just mix 2 tablespoons cream, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, and 1 packet of sweetener (I used a couple of drops of liquid sucralose) and a tiny bit of vanilla extract if you wish. Mix it up until it becomes consistency of soft ice cream. It happens fast! You only get a tiny amount but it's good for those times when you need a tiny sweet.

Did you know that people with a sweet tooth (sweet teeth?) are sweeter people? It's proven now. I'm a nice person. So sayeth the magazine.
 How did I learn of this revelation? In Food Network Magazine. And the theme for this issue is chocolate. I think I gained a few pounds just looking at the pictures. See that picture at the very top right? That's chocolate covered bacon! I could curb my sweet tooth and my bacon tooth with that! I have interesting teeth. :)


--------------------------
Today was running day for me. Week 2 of Half Marathon training version 2.0.
 Aw, yeah, baby! Nothing says "cool" like a mirror self portrait. LOL

My legs were still sore but I felt better than the run yesterday. 3:1 intervals. 44 minutes. 3.3 miles.
Yes, yes. I'm slow. But I was out there doing it!

Getting back into the groove is proving difficult. The quote in my training journal for this week was especially timely:

"Running does no good if it doesn't last. After a few months away from it, even a world record holder or Olympic champion is no more of a runner than the next slob on the street."

The weather was gorgeous outside! 60* and sunny. No wind either!
 Then I saw this. It was like I was seeing it for the first time. I can do hill training in my own backyard!! Why did I not think of this before?! Yes, there is a sign that says keep off the "mountain" (I swear they call this a mountain. Houston is that flat.) but surely they're not talking about me. That hill will be run upon. Maybe.
Good day! Good run! Good eats!

12 comments:

  1. YAY! Glad you started running again and that chicken looks really good, I may have to make it tomorrow ;)

    HS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you try the chicken. I like it anyway. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, no wonder you think we have hills! The mountain is adorable.

    Nice job getting out there - beautiful day for a run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to New England - all we have is hills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I must be the sweetest woman in the world then. ;)

    I'm jealous of all of that green grass in the pictures! I miss the nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, Hottie - how easy it is to convert things?!
    All this - good looks - cool poses - and great LC food.
    You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that chicken looks fabulous! At first, I was like, whahhh? And then I was like WHAHHHH? :) May have to try this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The first time I made it I didn't think it would be great. But it's pretty good!

      Delete
  7. That chicken looks very tasty and tender. Going to have to give it a try some day.

    I love the view of your runs. I LOVE the green grass.... so cool to see in February. I know it's norm for you but it is so out of sorts for me. I miss the spring/summer (I realize yours is much different). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. D'oh...should have tested that underlining tag! Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)