Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Where a Woman Belongs (and how men die)

Tuesday was a nothing-too-exciting sort of day. Sometimes that's just fine by me.

Breakfast: Muffin in a Minute with some cream cheese. I added an extra drop of liquid sucralose and it was quite good!
 Lunch: I wasn't very hungry again. One thing I've noticed with this way of eating is that I'm not as hungry as much. But I also tend to go in cycles of famished followed by a few days of not hungry. So who knows really?

I had 3 cups of salad, Green vinaigrette dressing and a piece of Chappell Hill jalapeno sausage sauteed in coconut oil. YUM.
 After going head to head with Charlie trying to teach him some multiplication stuff (we both went away with our heads hurting) I decided to make some buns for dinner. These are called "Oopsie Rolls" and you can find the original recipe HERE. I love her blog and her sense of humor!!

After beating the egg white and adding the yolk mixture it'll look like this. I took a teaspoon and just lightly swirled the egg yolks until they were incorporated so the whites wouldn't fall.
 I put 6 mounds onto parchment paper and baked in oven.
 After they came out of the oven I sprinkled them with some onion flakes, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and a little salt.
 They look so pretty! They need to set out for a while to firm up a little. I'd probably make these a day in advance next time or try adding a little flax meal to give them more body.

While cooking I walk up behind Chuck and surprise him. He says, "You scared me! I thought you were in the kitchen doing your job."

And that was the end of Chuck. He will be missed.

Speaking of Chuck, he had to go to the doctor again. Sinus infection still lurking about. Another shot, another prescription for antibiotics. Poor guy!

The burgers turned out great! They fell apart a little too easily but had a very good flavor and actually looked like bread! This is with bacon, cheese, pickles, mustard, lettuce and jalapenos. Very tasty! I used two of the rolls for buns.
See that green in the background? That's kale.

I've been reading how people say, "I had a craving for potato chips and I made these kale chips and it totally satisfied me. It's like eating chips!"

So I'm like, "Ok. I like chips. Let's do this! I need veggies anyway."

I spent some time in the kitchen making a huge batch of kale chips. Guess what. It's KALE!! Kale, people. Not chips at all.

Gave one to Chuck and he said it was like eating a crunchy fart. How the man knows what a crunchy fart tastes like I'll never know nor will I ever ask. That's his secret to keep.

Dessert: just a little chocolate puddin'


I've been cooking a lot lately. Seems like I'm in the kitchen more than usual. It does help save on grocery bill though! Eating out is expensive.

But if I hear one more comment about being in the kitchen where I belong, heads will roll. And I say that as nicely as possible. :)

I know Chuck is joking. If he weren't he'd be experiencing Hurricane Kelly. For some reason he thinks it's funny when I get angry. It's not funny, darn it!!!! *stamps foot and walks away*

16 comments:

  1. I've the feeling I am a marked man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The couch is all made up for you. Or the doghouse. Your pick. :)

      Delete
    2. Shannon the Collie needs a teeth cleaning. I could hardly sleep last night.

      Delete
    3. You two made my day :)
      Thanks for the giggle.

      Delete
  2. 'crunchy farts'? I'll never look at kale the same again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh I love me some OOPSIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to do better about cooking a lot too. It keeps us from going out to eat and spending money. It helps when I'm making foods that are flavorful and delicious- we're not as apt to go out to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've heard that lie about kale chips being a good substitute for potato chips...it's a total falsehood because, as you pointed out, it's still kale. But juice it with some green apple, spinach, celery, Persian cucumbers, a bit lemon juice and you have lemonade (green lemonade).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Substitutions annoy me. Spaghetti squash IS NOT pasta dammit! I actually like Kale chips but I totally get what you mean :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried Kale chips from a local community health store and I can't say I liked them much. You are right, they are not CHIPS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! You crack me up, Kelly! They'd be fightin' words in this house, too!

    I'm passing your blog onto my mom. Both my parents are low carbing, so your yummy food will definitely make them happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Kelly....I'm laughing out loud!!! At 1) the end of Chuck! 2) your kale rant and 3) the term crunchy fart. I'm a huge kale fan (chips, sauteed, whatever) and will think of you and Chuck next time I make a batch of chips. You are hilarious. Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A crunchy fart sounds like something my hubby would say :P He generally will eat whatever I put in front of him, so I tend to put healthier things in front of him. Sometimes I get a few odd ball comments before he starts eating, but he will eat it. Can't say I have tried Kale chips yet, but I do like raw kale or cooked in with my soba noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crunchy fart...too funny! I made some kale chips and thought they were pretty darn good...my husband wouldn't try them though. I have been making the "bread" recipe for the pesto pizza bread from all day i dream about food... http://www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2011/10/pesto-pizza-bread-and-carapelli-olive.html and using as buns for beef brisket or small hamburgers. It's pretty tasty but not as low carb as the oopsie rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crunchy fart...too funny! I made some kale chips and thought they were pretty darn good...my husband wouldn't try them though. I have been making the "bread" recipe for the pesto pizza bread from all day i dream about food... http://www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2011/10/pesto-pizza-bread-and-carapelli-olive.html and using as buns for beef brisket or small hamburgers. It's pretty tasty but not as low carb as the oopsie rolls.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)