Thursday, March 1, 2012

3.1 in 31 Challenge: Day 1

It's March 1st, guys. Time for me to start my 3.1 for 31 challenge. So the deal is that I walk and/or run 3.1 miles every.single.day for the 31 days of March.

Chuck accompanied me on my first walk/run this evening. It was such a nice night with a pretty sunset. We walked. We ran. We talked about cars. I looked for edible plants (trying to remember all I learned Saturday. Tasted one plant that I am pretty sure is not edible but I'm still alive so all is well.)

I have a 3.1 mile route mapped out in my neighborhood so I didn't even wear my Garmin. Trust me. It's a 5k. And I felt flippin fantastic afterwards!

Day 1 down. Only 30 more to go.
--------------------------
I want to start trying to make my foods look a little prettier. Instead of this taco salad (which was sooooo delicious)

I would rather start trying to make things look a little more appetizing like this tuna salad...

It just looks tastier when a little effort is applied. Ya know?  Do you try to make your food look good or plop it on the plate and ring the dinner bell? Just curious.
-------------------------------

February I had the goal of holding a 5 minute plank. How did I do? I did 3 minutes. 3 whole minutes. I think I could hold a 5 minute plank but that has got to be the most boring exercise I've ever done. Ever! Ugh. No thanks.

I'm kind of like that with running. I think I have the attention span of a 10k max. After that I just lose interest and am ready to move on with my life. During a half marathon I black out. I literally lose chunks of my life as if I've gone to sleep. I can't remember certain miles. I'm sure I ran them but there is no memory. It's an out of body experience I guess.

I can be awake and fully aware during a 5k. It's the best mileage in my humble opinion. It's short enough to hold my attention but long enough to remind me that I just exerted a fair amount of effort. A 10K is pushing my attention span. A marathon would be quite an accomplishment in concentration and I'm pretty sure I'd leave my body and visit Jesus during that kind of mileage. Life changing experience, I'm sure.
-----------------------------------

Monday I got eyelash extensions. At first I'm like, "Let's get Kardashian with these babies" but I chickened out right before she started and went with "natural". So each natural lash has a longer lash glued to it. It's a two hour process and requires refills (which don't take nearly as long) like fake nails. I love/hate them. Love the way they look. Hate the maintenance.

I tried to take a couple of self portraits to show you but they really do look better in person.
 (yes, I have a lot of freckles that I do not like)
It's hard to see how pretty they are. I'm pretty darn thrilled with them. I had a Groupon so they were a good deal. Yay!

-------------------------------------
I just love seeing the kids getting along even if they are both engrossed in their own electronics:

I guess it's time to announce this: Rachel has a boyfriend. It's official. I'm handling it pretty good. So far. *waaaa. My baby is growing up!!!* I'm ok. I swear.
--------------------------
Ok. I've been lazy in the kitchen again this week. Expect many yum recipes next week. It's time to rattle those pots and pans and get creative again.

This weekend: engagement/wedding shower/party for my brother in Beaumont.
Road trip to College Station.
Armadillo Dash with Chuck and Shelley and cheer on Jeff (Shelley's hubby) for his half marathon.

Have a good weekend, my friends. See ya Monday with a fun race recap.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of 3.1miles every day! Good lunch with your goals. I do make sure my plates are pretty especially when I photograph it. I like seeing vibrant colors.

    Have a wonderful weekend! Love the extensions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the first time I've seen a picture of your dog! I guess when you have kids still living at home, you feature them on the blog more than pets, LOL!!!

    Congrats to Rachel on the boyfriend. And egads to you and Chuck! What a fun and scary thing to watch unfold.

    Your lashes look good - how long do they last? And can you put (or do you need to?) mascara on them?

    P.S. I think your freckles are cute.

    Also? Yay! We are coming up on our two-year meetaversary! Can't wait to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rusty is Rachel's dog. He adores her!

    The lashes last 3-4 weeks before they need a touchup. There's a place around here that will do it for $35. I think. So it's about like having nails. Mascara is optional but I wear it sometimes.

    Aw!! Our meetaversary! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your 3.1 in 31 Challenge! What a great idea...one of these days I want to do a 30 days of yoga challenge. I think it would be great fun.

    I like my food to look nice! Sometimes it takes me longer to plate than eat!

    Young love...how sweet for Rachel and stressful for you and Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in Austin Kelly. OMG...your dog is ADORABLE. The snake? Well, adorable is in the eye of the beholder. :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)