Monday, March 19, 2012

Snake Wrangling and Experimenting

Howdy and happy Monday to ya!

I just love the surprises that life tosses at us. The good surprises (hot damn, I won the lottery), not the bad ones (your dishwasher committed suicide choking on a chicken bone). We had a little surprise in the backyard while Chuck was mowing Sunday.

I hear a knock on the window and am beckoned to come forth immediately to identify a critter of the snake persuasion curled up by the fence. I get low and look that snake in the eye. Not round pupil. Uh oh. We have a venomous fella here.  Turns out he's a baby cottonmouth aka water moccasin. Chuck scoops into a bucket with a broom then Rachel and I drive him to a nearby pond where we chunk him (as in flying through the air (snakes don't fly well)) into the water. Except I am not a good snake chunker and he hit a little short of the water. But there was a lot of fluffy grass so all was well.
The little venomous snake pre-chunkin'
 Then it was time to kick back in a chair while watching the help wash my car Dash.
For exercise I wanted to do something different than the usual 5K walk/run so "the help" (we'll call him Chuck) and I got out the bikes and went for a 3.2 mile ride. The help's neck does not like riding bikes so I'll be going solo until he gets his third (and hopefully final) neck surgery.

Experimentation:
So last week's weight loss was a break even situation. Last Monday I showed a gain of 5.5 pounds. I lost 5.3 pounds of that gain so I consider that a break even situation. I learned a lot about that little experiment. Mostly I learned what not to do!

This weekend I still experimented (ok, it's mostly with a nice cheat day) but this time I only had a 1.3 pound gain on Monday! I'll lose that easily plus more this week.

The difference this time is I tried a taste of intermittent fasting (IF). I stopped eating Saturday night, fasted until dinner Sunday and the weight gain was much smaller. Plus I really wasn't hungry at all Sunday so I didn't want to eat anyway. Worked out perfectly! I had read about this for a few days online and wanted to give it a try since it's also supposed to help with insulin sensitivity and a host of other things. Read this interesting blog post for more info on that: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/#axzz1pbuW8GIQ

Experimentation continues for the next couple of weeks. As of today I have a net weight loss of 11.8 pounds in two weeks. Not bad! I'm anxious to see what experimenting yields this week.

Exercises include a daily 3.1 mile jaunt plus 3 sets of the following:
30 squats
30 wall pushups ((i mix it up with close arm and wide and tricep)
30 chest pulls

Stayed tuned for more experiments and hopefully some good results! Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. You were too nice to that snake. ;)

    We are getting a ton of rain, so I guess that our muddy run will be especially muddy - yay? LOL, it's going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I woulda said, "Hello, snake! You're a gonner!!" LOL.

    In Texas and in Houston, that's one of the things I don't look forward to Spring for. The snakes wake up and if you're not careful you will come across a baby or two or a gazillion while you are weeding your winter beds. Geeze! Scary Larry!

    Glad you are getting things figured out! I love JUDDDing for the same reason as you mentioned with IF. The bounce you get from an UD is quickly remedied by the next DD (IF day).

    Cheers! Sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)