Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weight Loss Thoughts

As I've mentioned over and over, this month is an experiment for me. I am merely observing what the scale says day to day. When there is a gain it's not a big deal but a lesson learned. When I lose it's a very happy lesson learned.

So far this month I'm at a 13.7 pound loss. Yeah. That's epic.

Even better? I'm not taking any of my meds. No thyroid. No metformin. Only a couple of supplements like vitamins and alpha lipoic acid, etc.

I have an appointment with my gynecologist/endocrinologist (yes, he's a multitasker...and a lawyer too...overachiever....graduated from Yale and Harvard) in April. I want to prove to him that I can lose weight without all of the prescriptions. He told me it was almost impossible and I really want to prove him wrong. Silly? Maybe. I just don't want to have a ton of prescriptions. He's already not happy with me for discontinuing birth control. And he insisted that I will take metformin but it makes me feel like I'm knocking on Death's door. Hate it.  And I'm out of thyroid meds so here I am.

Not only am I losing weight but I can feel my thyroid or metabolism kicking in. I don't get so cold anymore. Hair loss has slowed down. I feel warm inside. Something is happening and it's good!  Now I'm anxious to get blood work done to see how that looks.

So far the experiment is working. I'm still learning a lot and it will take more than a month of experimenting to perfect it. And this is for my body. You may react differently.

Since losing the equivalent of almost 14 boxes of butter this month, my clothes are fitting a bit more loosely. As in I can pull my pants off without unbuttoning them. It's awesome but I don't see a difference in the mirror and it's driving me a bit crazy. I want to see a difference!

Even when I was a skinny girl, I always felt chubby. 5'7" and weighing 120-125 pounds I still felt big. I still hated being seen in a swimsuit. Crazy!

While I'm shedding pounds I'm trying to shed that negative self image. It's not easy! I've read about people who have lost a lot of weight but still see themselves as heavy. I don't want to be like that but I don't know how to change the way I view myself. No clue how to even start! Is there a 12 step program?  I've never thought of myself as pretty or anything like that. I don't hate myself but I don't see anything special in the mirror either.

Oh well. This post is really just a mind dump for me. Spilling things that are on my mind. 

My focus is on
  • getting healthy
  • getting off prescription meds
  • build muscle
  • fit in size 8

Self love. I'll worry about that one later. ;)

In other news, yesterday was another round of 3.1 for 31 days. I don't know if you saw Houston weather on tv but there was a tornado spotted near us. Yeah. And heavy rains.  But I am committed to this so Chuck and I went for our walk anyway.  And it rained.

I always see something interesting while on these 5ks. Yesterday, even though it was raining, a kitty decided to walk with us for about a quarter mile. In the rain!


Did you notice that there is no rain in the picture? That's because this was taken a different day. Same kitty though. I just forgot to post this picture.  But that kitty greets us and runs along with us. It's cute. :)


Also, I had the honor of being voted a motivational person on Sparkpeople.com! Wow. That makes me want to try even harder to reach my goals.

So far so good. Lost 1.5 pounds yesterday. Yay!! Onward and downward.

23 comments:

  1. You are beautiful. You always have been beautiful. Not just saying that because I am your husband and am biased. It's true. Such a gorgeous woman. I count myself quite fortunate.

    All of what you are doing now will only enhance your natural beauty. It will also prolong your time spent with me, which I also greatly appreciate.

    So keep up the good work, Sweet.
    Thanks for working so hard. You really are doing good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You've always been such a great support. Except when you're an enabler. You know what I'm talking about. LOL

      Delete
  2. Ya know Chuck...I was gonna say something like..."Chuck and I have always thought you were a beautiful girl!" Great minds think alike...join us, Kelly...won't you?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy. You've always been a great BFF. :) I've always thought you were gorgeous. And you haven't changed a bit!

      The Spot? Soon? Keep me posted about the next crawfish boil so I can put it on the calendar.

      Delete
  3. I think you are beautiful!

    And these goals -
    getting healthy
    getting off prescription meds
    build muscle
    fit in size 8

    = AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. You're always an inspiration to me :)

      Delete
  4. I am soooo happy for you!
    I don't have the words.
    SOOOOOOOOOO happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your posts. This one however really really speaks to me. Thank you for putting it out there. I like to think that I have a bonus the one's who have always been thin and that is that I will very much appreciate myself at a thinner body and will not need to be a size 2! I will now be happy to see myself at a weight and size that did not make me happy before.

    And Chuck...you sound like a wonderful man and it is a real pleasure to read your inspiring comments to your wife.

    Cheers from Alberta, Canada (Melody)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody! hank you for the compliment. yeah, now I'm thinking I'd be pretty darn happy to see 125 again.

      Chuck is my biggest support. And enabler sometimes. LOL

      Delete
  6. Damn woman, you sure know how to scare a girl to death!! Please...if you have some info that ties losing weight to curing hypothyroidism...Please tell me!! I thought I told you the story on my thyroid but maybe I didn't. The way I found out I had a thyroid problem when I was 30 years old and it went haywire one night while I was sleeping and I woke up in the hospital 4 days later! Seriously dude...I was on life support for 4 days, with my entire family at my bedside, although I didn't know it at the time, because they thought I was going to die. A bad thyroid that goes untreated will KILL YOU. DEAD. Now...with that said...if you have documented info saying that weight loss CURES a bad thyroid, and Synthroid is truly not needed to keep you alive...please share it with me. :) Big Hugs (please don't kill yourself) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me about your thyroid scare. Very scary!

      My thyroid issue is not that extreme. Yes, it's not perfect and I had some symptoms. I have read some stuff by a doctor in Sugar Land who says he can get the thyroid working right again. Is it true? I don't know. But he's a big "gluten free" advocate. Right now I have an appointment scheduled for the end of April to talk to him and get some DNA testing done.

      As part of my experimentation this month, I resitrict calories during the week (though I'm not counting calories) and one day a week I am spiking my calories to encourage the thyroid T3 T4 conversion and all that stuff. I'm just testing to see what works and what doesn't so DO NOT follow my example because I am invincible....at least in my head.

      I do know people who have changed their eating habits and have been able to lower thyroid medication. And I have read of other people getting off the medication. Is there a cure? I have no idea. I just go around reading stuff and trying it and it either works or doesn't. If I find anything specific regarding weight loss and thyroid function I'll send it. I haven't specifically been looking for that link. Mostly I was looking at how diet can effect thyroid.

      And nope. I won't kill myself. I feel great and weight is coming off (finally!!!) and I think thyroid is working ok. We'll see.

      Delete
    2. An interesting article from the doctor I'm going to see in April: http://towncenterwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/FOH-Thyroid.pdf

      Delete
  7. Kelly, you are one hot Texax mama!!! Red hot baby!

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you have been able to stop your medications.

    I have stopped taking ALL the medications I was on and I feel supreme!!!

    Can't wait for you to see Dr. Osborne!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      And that is awesome that you've stopped all your meds! So happy for you! Keep on rocking it, lady. :)

      Delete
  8. Well you just keep a close eye on it. When you've had a brush with near death like I did, you're sensitive to these things. I've been reading your blog for too long now and like you too much for you to go and croak on me!! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for caring. :) But don't worry. Chuck would kick my ass if I croaked. I'm too mean to die. LOL

      Delete
  9. Congrats on all your progress. Since you know I have thyroid issues too, now you've got me curious as to your Sythroid dosage (when you're taking it I mean).

    Chuck, stop being an enabler ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed that you were able to lower your thyroid dosage!

      I am/was on two: Synthroid 75mcg/day and Cytomel 5mcg/day He had upped the dosage of one of them but I can't remember which now.

      At first I saw good results with them but then after a while I started having the same symptoms of low thyroid like before. I stopped taking them and so far things are ok. I told his nurse. LOL It's a giant experiment. I don't suggest anyone else do it. But I did let his office know that I stopped taking them. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  10. Kelly - you are such a neat person - and gorgeous too! I suffered from the same poor self image when I was young. Crazy is right! When I get in a beauty funk these days (i.e. don't feel pretty at all), I try a little harder (maybe go to the hair dresser or lose some weight or do my nails really nicely or try harder with how I dress) and then gradually my thinking aligns and all of a sudden I'm getting compliments. I think it's how we perceive ourselves and what we project - confidence, etc. - that is part of the whole thing. It's not easy because weight gain changes sometime in life make us lose confidence, aging and everything wants to go south (suddenly we really have to lift weights and exercise!), plus add in hypothyroidism (I have Hashi's) pre-menopause and menopause and all the stuff that goes along with it later on - but you're young yet! We just do the best we can at each stage of life; better than letting oneself go. Just always keep working at it is my motto. The alternative is worse.

    Your DH is very sweet and obviously knows you are beautiful.

    The only thing I would say about going off thyroid meds is that if your thyroid has to work harder (and right now it is and doing a good job), one can grow a goiter (the thyroid produces more tissue to get the job done). Happens to me - mine gets bigger if I go off suppressive doses of thyroid hormone. However, I have something different to plain hypothyroidism. Your case sounds mild. I was shocked to read about what Tammy went through! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your hubby's comment! Wow, 14 pounds this month? That's amazing!

    I need to pick up my pace, that's for sure. I always start out the year with high hopes, but by spring my vigor is almost zero.

    I am planning a boot camp style kick my ass for the month of April - including no alcohol! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your husband's comment so super sweet. Love it. Yay for the fewer meds too. Um...your obgyn is also a lawyer. Guess you have to remove your legal briefs before your exam. And your undies too...
    YEAH...I went there...sorry....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)