Monday, April 16, 2012

Weigh In and Fun Stuff

Scales. I love them when they say sweet things to me (in other words, what I want them to say) and despise them when they don't. I hadn't been doing the daily tango with the scale last week. Quite honestly, I was just tired of it.

But I did take a peek at the scale and got a pleasant surprise. Down 3.5 pounds for the week. Yay me!!

I'm afraid I didn't stick to my protocol very well that week either. I didn't eat breakfast. Just wasn't hungry. But I've discovered that hunger comes in waves so I'm just going with it this time instead of fighting it.
-----------------------
EXERCISE

It's become pretty routine now. The only thing I did not do was run. I mostly got in strength training and biking. I'm loving my bike right now. :)

A typical Monday, Wednesday, Friday looks like this:
50 kettlebell swings at 30#
20 two legged glute activation raises
15 flying dogs
90 squats
90 chest pulls
90 wall pushups  Still trying to transition wall pushups to the stairs then to the floor. Those things are tough!!! But I am starting to notice a little more muscle definition in the arms. Not much but a little.

I also like to bike at least 6 miles on those days. It's usually closer to 10 miles.

This week I'll start back in with the running.
------------------------------------
The FUN Stuff

Another busy weekend.
But before I get to the weekend I have to share some pics I took at my (yes, it belongs to me. I'm sure it does) Brazos Bend State Park. This place can make me feel serene no matter what stress is going on in life. I love it here.
 Let me paint a picture for you. There was a hawk circling over head, a woodpecker in the distance, whistler ducks flying in to swim on the lake, and a slight breeze. The weather was warm and perfect. The Spanish moss swayed gently from the live oaks. I could spend so much time here.
 I only spotted one alligator. This little guy. I walked for a while looking for more. Unfortunately I wore flip flops. Don't ask me why. I wasn't thinking. But I have some lovely blisters to show for it.

Saturday I tried to go to a transition clinic for triathlons but when I got there the parking lot was packed. Not one place to park. I drove around for 13 minutes then got ticked off and left. Ugh.

The rest of the day was spent cleaning up the house and being a bit lazy.

Sunday was a lot of fun. We took the whole family and Rachel's boyfriend to Galveston for the day. The idea was to go swimming but the waves and rip tide were so bad that they couldn't.
 There was a hotel over the water called the Flagship at one time but it was destroyed during hurricane Ike. Now the pier is being rebuilt as an amusement park. Roller coasters!!! A little something about me: roller coasters scare me so bad that I cuss like a sailor on them. I don't even know I'm doing it.
 Along the seawall there was a pretty educational bench.
 We made our way to Murdoch's and relaxed on the deck with a beer. Rachel and her bf went off for a walk. Charlie searched the shop for trinkets to buy. And I listened to the waves. It's so cool to see them roll under the deck. Ahhhh.....relaxation.
 Charlie working on his stalker skills. Well done, son.
 He got a shark tooth necklace and a bag of gummy worms. Such a cute kid!
 This poor pigeon was being blown around my the wind. I'm telling you the waves were incredible. It was deafening.
 Time to head to Fish Tales for some grub. We go here from time to time. It's pretty good but way overpriced. It may be time to try a new place.
 Another educational bench!! So pretty.
 What would a trip to Galveston be without a stop at LaKing's Confectionery?! I just like the atmosphere of this place. How can you not be happy here? I especially like watching the little kids go case to case excited. Great place to people watch.
 Check out the colors! They also make several different flavors of saltwater taffy.
Everyone got a chocolate malt but me. I had a bit of something called a sand dollar and two pieces of taffy. Yum!

It was a fun weekend. Hope yours was great too.

This week my focus is on cooking more and getting in my runs.

24 comments:

  1. Great job on the weight in ! We lived on the coast of Texas/Louisiana a few years ago.. Miss going and hanging out on the beach. As always, love your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up on the Texas/LA coast. Great times.

      Delete
  2. Love the photos Kelly!!!!! Looks like a fantastic weekend, and congrats on the scale reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it really was a great weekend. Life is good. :)

      Delete
  3. The photos are gorgeous! It looks like you had a wonderful weekend :)

    Congratulations on the great weigh-in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Galveston looks great, the new amusement perk is gonna be so fun. I'm with you on the roller coasters but may have to give that one a try. Will it be ready bu beach palooka time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.s. I wrote that with my new iPad and it has a mind of its own, lol,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! Beach Palooka!
      I can't wait. We have to visit LaKing's again.

      Delete
  6. Every time you post about Galveston, you make me want to visit there. Just curious - why are you concerned about running? Do you have races coming up? I mean since you're enjoying your bike why not go with that for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is a triathlon so I want to keep a minimal running base for that. No big races in store. I just like the way I feel after a run. But not how I feel while I'm running. LOL

      Delete
  7. When I get homesick, I always tend to run across something that makes me smile. Today, your blog made me smile. Thanks for the photos. Everything I miss about Houston, right here. Shiner, gators, Galveston. Sad to say, but I'm glad the Flagship is gone. That place always made me nervous that it would drop off into the Gulf one day. But at least there's prosperity in it's place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to give you a smile. :)

      I stayed at the Flagship a couple of times. Each time I slept with the balcony door open so I could hear the waves and the seagulls acted as my alarm clock in the morning. Loved it.

      Delete
  8. My family and I always go to Shrimp and Stuff on O Street. Well priced and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoy your posts and your photo's. I am going to get on my bike again this year after not using it in over 15 years. I am kinda excited. Now I just have to wait for good weather.

    You have mentioned the Kettlebells workouts that you do and seem to like. Do you follow anything specific and if so what? They sound interesting.

    Congrat's on the positive scale numbers. A lovely lady at my gym told me a great story recently. She said that she no longer thinks about "losing weight"....she thinks of it as "shedding pounds" or other types of words...because "losing" to her means that something needs to be 'found' and she NEVER wants to find those pounds back again! :) I thought that made so much sense in how it is important to speak positively to ourselves.

    Have a great night. Melody (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun weekend! i just love galveston! haven't been in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the loss and the work outs!!!

    Looks like much fun was had by all...the park looks just lovely...but the alligator scared the heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanna come visit you!!!!
    I love the pictures you share.
    I love the weather you have (well maybe not your deep summers).
    You rock Kelly!! Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missing your posts! You are my inspiration! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)