Monday, May 14, 2012

Ups and Downs

I've mentioned before that one of my goals for the year was to complete a triathlon. Step one was to be able to run. Check! Step two was the biking portion. Check! Step 3 was swimming portion. Not check.

One of my stepping stones was to do a duathlon on Mother's Day. It was only a super sprint but at least I'd have a better understanding of how transitions work, etc.

Saturday night was to be El Chupacabra night run through some woods. I'd been wanting to do this race for about two years. It sounds so fun! I bought tons of glow sticks for necklaces and bracelets. You gotta take every opportunity to wear lights in life. I was signed up for both races. One race at 9pm on Saturday night and the duathlon at 7am on Sunday morning. No problem!

Last week I tried to go for a run Thursday even though it was raining. It wasn't just raining but pouring! That didn't stop me. I headed out the door with the rain coming down sideways. My Garmin wouldn't sync with the satellites though. The streets had rivers of water so I had to find places to walk. Then there was the lightning. I finally gave up. I was soaked to the bone.


Friday was beautiful though. I was going to do my duathlon at home just to make sure I had thought of everything I'd need.
My bike was ready.
 The run portions were easy but the biking portion turned out to be difficult because there were some strong winds. Hello, leg muscles!

I was a sweaty mess afterwards but I felt great and was confident that I could complete this duathlon.
 Later that day I picked up my packet which had a cool visor and a nice tech shirt.

Saturday wasn't a great day. I don't want to go into detail but it sucked the entire day. It sucked so bad that I lost all interest in doing my races. I lost interest in doing anything.

I'm sad to report that I did not show up for El Chupacabra nor did I go to my first duathlon. I'm disappointed in myself but that's just the way it goes. There are always other races to look forward to but until I get my mojo back I probably won't be prepping for any races. I hate to let myself down. That's the worst. So I'm trying not to think about it too much. I'll probably just get rid of the shirt in my packet because I don't want a reminder that I didn't complete it. Heck, I didn't even start it!

How about we have some good news? Sunday was Mother's Day and I got cards from Chuck and the kids. Charlie even made a card himself. They were soooooo sweet and I loved them!

Chuck then made breakfast for me and I was served in bed. I was quarantined to the bedroom while Rachel worked on a special Mom's Day surprise.

I am very thankful for the two reasons that I get to celebrate Mother's Day. I love my Rachel and Charlie. They're both such great kids and I am a lucky mom to have them. They were both near death experiences when they were born!


 Rachel finished my surprise. A very cool, whimsical cake! Love it! She worked hard on it and it shows. Thanks, Rachel!! What a "sweet" gift!!

Mother's Day was nice and relaxing. We didn't go anywhere. Chuck made dinner: steak, salad and baked potato. We watched Princess Bride and just hung out. I may have even taken a nap which is a rare thing for me.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Hope you had a great one!

8 comments:

  1. I ended up giving my Armadillo Dash half shirt to Goodwill - that was the race I missed from my ankle injury, and didn't feel right wearing that shirt. So I know what you mean about the duathlon one. I'm sorry things didn't work out for you to do your races - you usually love them - and I hope that your mojo returns soon!

    P.S. Rachel's cake is so cute - love the spring-y, bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not racing has been my modus operandi over the last couple of years. It's not a mojo thing but I can't seem to break through whatever it is. So, I understand feeling disappointed. But you'll be back because you love racing so much!

    Since Saturday was so sucky, I'm glad Sunday was so wonderful. Rachel is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the loss of mojo. Second half of last year was my loss of mojo. Life isn't only about races and working out and figuring how to push oneself further or faster. It's sometimes really cool when you can do that, but it's not all about that. There's nothing wrong with stepping back and figuring what's going to excite you now.
    When the day comes and you want to show off your leg muscles and their ability again, they'll still be there.

    Kudos to Chuck and the kids for making yesterday such a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you. I am glad you had a great mother's day, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand about lack of mojo. I've been up and down since I started. I agree with Kent...absolutley no thing wrong with stepping back and taking a look at things. That's what I've been doing. It's helped me learn what works for me and what doesnt!

    On a positive note...love that cake! Rachel did an amazing job! I'm glad to hear you had a great Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter is so talented! Kelly you are such an inspiration. You'll get through this:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending a big hug from Vancouver to Texas for you Kelly. Hope you feel better soon. Glad you had a great Mother's Day - love the photos of your kids and wow....Rachel may have to get a cake show on the food network. Her creations are so creative!!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look gorgeous, Kelly.
    I know you'll find what it is you need to be doing.
    We can't go on and on and on without having these introspective times as well.
    This is big stuff we are working on. Be sure to give yourself all kinds of time.
    And HUGZ!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)