Monday, June 25, 2012

New Adventure: Crossfit

Happy Monday to you all. I'm usually a bit grumpy on Mondays because I hate seeing the weekend come to an end. Not this Monday though. I had something new to look forward to: working out!

I've wanted to try crossfit for a while but didn't want to hand over the monthly fees. I recently found Everyday Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness. It's only $20 per month and gives you plenty of support and some tough workouts.

There are three beginner modules that they ask you to progress through before attempting their regular workouts. Each module lasts two weeks and is followed by a test to make sure you're ready to progress.

I thought today's workout would be easy. I was wrong. Oh, so very wrong.

Alarm went off at the ridiculous hour of 5am (how do you early birds do it?!). If Chuck would have suggested we wait to exercise until later and just hit snooze I would have been very happy. He told me it was time to get up and I didn't want to sound like a whiny baby (in my head I was throwing a tantrum) so I immediately jumped rolled out of bed and got dressed. Sort of. I got on pants and shoes and I already had a tee shirt on. It's early. Who cares if I wear a bra, right?

Off we go out the door for a 5 minute warm-up walk. Picture a two-person zombie apocalypse walking stiff legged down the street in the dark. Yep, that was us.

Back inside we start the work out: 10 deep squats (*&@%!& YOU, squats!), 10 pushups, and 10 situps with a 1 minute rest between each. Rinse and repeat.

Let's talk about squats. They suck. They suck so bad. I don't mind regular squats but doing them deep where the hip crease is below the knee is some tough stuff. And I found out I have a tendency to want to lean forward instead of keeping my back straight.

Pushups: I get to a certain point then collapse. This is going to take a little while to master. I started the first 10 on the stairs. The next set of 10 I did on the wall.

After exercises we were back outside for another 5 minute walk. Finally it was time for a series of stretches. I liked that part.

My legs are like jelly. Kelly jelly. I can only imagine what it will feel like in the next couple of days. Luckily for me I only have to do the beginner module 1 twice a week! Walking is encouraged but not sustained cardio where heartrate is 65% or greater.

We'll see how this goes. It's only day 1 and I realize I have a long way to go before I'm doing pull ups.
-----------------------------

Now that I've told you what a good girl I was this morning, let me tell you a little about my weekend where I wasn't so great.

Friday night was date night with another couple at our favorite Indian food restaurant. Yum!!! My tummy was not happy about it for some reason.

And look what I found that our local donut/burger joint sells: donut breakfast sandwiches. Oh, dear sweet mother of Jesus. This should be illegal it's so good.
 That will have to be a very rare special treat.

One thing I love about summer is watermelon. Mmmm. I do have to watch my sugars and carbs, etc. but sometimes a girl just needs some watermelon. My lunch:
 -------------------------------
Rachel baked a cake for her friend's 16th birthday. So cute!! It's a homemade carrot cake made in the shape of the girl's truck with some red Solo cups in the back. It was a big hit at the party. Proud of my talented "little" girl.

----------------------------------
Chuck had a shooting match on Saturday and placed second in his division and second in accuracy. He wasn't pleased with the results but I thought he did pretty darn good! Next weekend is the state match. Road trip!
---------------------------------

Another great weekend that went by way too fast. This week is adventures in cooking low carb. Pictures to follow.
Happy Monday to you!

8 comments:

  1. Wah! I want to find a watermelon like the one you have there. Our watermelons have sucked!

    I have two friends who recently started CrossFit and both of them have said they don't know if they'll ever be able to do a pull-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I didn't get one good watermelon. Not one. This year I've had some luck.

      That's what I'm after: body transformation. It doesn't mean a thing if I weigh 125 pounds but am flabby. I want some tight muscles. :)

      Delete
  2. I just finished a huge bowl of watermelong - that's one fruit that I deem insulin worthy in the summer!

    My co-worker does cross-fit - and while she hasn't lost any weight (she really didn't need to - she's like 6 feet tall and probably 165 pounds) its totally changed her body shape - she does it twice a week.

    And I saw that donut breakfast Sammie on Facebook - insane! (meaning insanely delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait. Right now I'm doing it twice a week but will progress to three times a week as I get stronger.

      That donut sandwich was totally insane! I wasn't sure about it when I heard about it but it's all that.

      Delete
  3. Never thought of eating a watermelon like that, but I could totally get behind it! As for the donut monstrosity, quite honestly it looks gross to me - and that's probably a good thing, as I do not need any more temptations in my life, lol!

    Rachel's truck cake is cool. Girl has mad talent!!!

    Neat that you and Chuck are doing Crossfit together. Oh, and I am right with you on the squats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooo not gross. It looked nasty but had the right combo of sweet and salty. Everyone that took a bite was just mmmmmmm-ing. LOL

      Squats suck. Pushups really aren't ny better. And I see burpees prescribed in my future. I'll always think of you when I hear/see burpees.

      Delete
  4. Rock the CrossFit!!! Sounds tough...just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sooo excited about you starting crossfit. Please do LOTS & LOTS of blogging about it:D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)