Thursday, June 21, 2012

Posh Nosh

Wednesday night Chuck and I had a date night at an upscale French restaurant in the town of Humble, Texas. I've heard about Chez Nous for years and have wanted to try it but it's a bit pricey. A while back a deal was being run where two could dine for a special chef's five course sampler menu. Perfect!

This was the perfect dinner to celebrate Chuck's birthday. We didn't know what to expect. I wore a skirt and blouse.
 Chuck even wore a tie. Love a sharp dressed man.
 It took us close to an hour to reach our destination which turned out to be in a neighborhood. The restaurant was located in a house!

It was dimly lit inside and very romantic. Definitely a place to go if you want to impress someone.
 I apologize for the quality of the pictures. It was very dark in there and I only brought my cell phone to take pictures.

We ordered a pomegranate martini to start with. Yum!
 Since it was a chef's sampler menu we didn't have to order. We just were brought dish after dish. We also got the wine pairings with each. Wow, I had no idea it would be so much wine! A full glass with each course. It was a bit much for me.

We started with an heirloom tomato gazpacho. Very good.
 We were then served a diver scallop on greens and sauteed squash. This was my first time to have a diver scallop. It was the best! So sweet and perfect.
 Then came a duck and venison terrine. I'm not a huge fan of duck but this really was incredible.
 Ahhh. A little palate cleanser. It was some sort of citrus sorbet with a fresh sprig of mint.
 I think Chuck is enjoying it. :) You can see in the background that it's very homey yet upscale. I've been to some finer restaurants that make you feel uncomfortable. They're too stiff. But this place felt elegant yet relaxed. The waiters and waitresses worse tuxedo style attire.
 Now the main course: beef tenderloin topped with foie gras and truffled mash potatoes. This was my first time to try foie gras and truffles. What a decadent treat! It was delicious. Everything cooked to perfection too.
 By the time dessert came along we were both stuffed. But I had to sample the Grand Marnier souffle they brought out. Holy tastebuds. It was so darn good!! Everything was really perfect.

We had a great time and I think Chuck enjoyed his birthday dinner. It's definitely someplace I'd like to visit again. It's not cheap but it is a wonderful place to dine. I highly recommend it.

Now back to low carb goodies. :)

5 comments:

  1. That looks like a wonderful meal. LOVE fixed menus and wine pairings. Takes the guesswork out of things, and you get to try so much. Thanks for sharing the dinner with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love small bites dinners. This reminds me of our fancy dinner in St. Martin this year which I ended with a Grand Marnier Souffle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just starting your blog, but have been reading about you on Shelley's blog.

    Sounds like a great evening with your hubby!

    I'm from Texas too (born and raised)!

    Sheryl
    http://500daystowhereiwanttobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)