Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Biking, Spiders with guns, Cooking, and Useless Info

Happy Wednesday! It has been such an active week for me and I LOVE it.

Monday I decided to do this..
Down this.....
 Which made me smile even though it was the heat of the day.
 Someone reminded me that I should be wearing a helmet (I thought they were only for people who crashed!) so I went home and got this....
Funny but true story: I was reminded about the helmet and how I should ride safely, etc. So I felt guilty and got the helmet. I'm riding along and a big ass spider (I think it had a gun!) parachuted out of the right side of the helmet and down my face. I squealed (wouldn't you?!) and wrecked. Thankfully I had my helmet on. The helmet that caused the wreck saved my neck. Ha! There's some irony for ya.

Along the way I found a new gym. I definitely am nowhere near doing a pull up. Have you ever tried? It's impossible at this point for me. Not even a decline pull up. New goal: pull ups!
 After 8 miles of biking I looked like this.
 I enjoyed every minute of it.

Dinner was an incredible Chicken Adobo over cauliflower "rice". The recipe is from Cook's Illustrated. It was a hit with everyone and even the kids cleaned their plates. Easy to make and great flavor.
Filipino Chicken Adobo
from Cook's Illustrated
8 (5-7 ounce) bone-in chicken thighs (I used chicken breasts, boneless, cut into 5-7 ounce pieces)
1/3 cup soy sauce (I used tamari)
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
3/4 cup apple cider
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1 scallion, sliced thin

1. Toss chicken with soy sauce in large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour.
2. Remove chicken from soy sauce and transfer, skin side down, to 12" nonstick skillet. Set aside soy sauce.
3.Place chicken over medium-high heat and cook until chicken skin is browned, 7-10 minutes. While chicken is cooking whisk coconut milk, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, and pepper into soy sauce.
4. Transfer chicken to plate and discard fat in skillet. Return chicken to skillet skin side down, add coconut milk mixture, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Flip chicken with skin side up and continue to cook, uncovered, until chicken registers 175*, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter and tent loosely with foil.
5. Remove bay leaves and skim any fat off surface of sauce. Return skillet to medium-high heat and cook until sauce is thickened, 5-7 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle with scallion, and serve.

For the cauliflower rice I just grated a cauliflower in my food processor then nuked it, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stirred. Nuke (microwave) for another 5 minutes. Add salt, chopped parsley, a touch of garlic powder and lots of butter. Yum!
-----------------

 Tuesday I had to take Rachel to a friend's house an hour away. We passed a plant farm along the way. I am saddened and horrified by the deplorable conditions of these plants. Look at them being raised in such tight, unnatural pens. They aren't even allowed to grow in their natural habitat and the fencing with barbed wire at the top keeps them from escaping. I urge you to eat free range plants. Stop the abuse!
 That evening I slaughtered some lettuce and made cheesesteak wraps. Oh my! These were incredible! And I didn't even have a recipe which is kind of a big deal for me.
Chuck said, "Make me a sandwich, woman!" so I did because I am sooooo obedient and submissive. *snicker*
This was truly a miracle in the mouth. All I did was marinate the flat iron steaks in some tamari (gluten free soy sauce alternative) and caramelized some onions and bell peppers in coconut oil then added a splash of tamari and a tiny bit of Worcestershire. Removed the onions and peppers from the pan and added the steak, which I had sliced very thinly, and cooked until done. On the lettuce leaves I added a little mayo, steak, peppers & onions then topped with provolone cheese. Nom nom nom.

After letting dinner settle for a whole 10 minutes, Chuck, Charlie and I went for a bike ride. It was just a casual thing. Occasionally we'd race but it was really just to enjoy the evening. I saved a few slugs trying to cross the road.

There was one slug that was at least 4.5" that I passed and was about to turn around to save but a car was coming so I pulled off to the side. I turned around after the car had passed and it had squished that slug. Poor thing. I know they're terrible for gardens but I have a Snow White complex and all (not you, ants and wasps! not you either, flies and mosquitoes!) are my friends.

It was a great 5.5 mile bike ride. We had a little bit of refreshing watermelon afterwards and Libby wanted to try it. She sort of liked it.
I love the feeling I get after some exercise. When it doesn't feel like exercise it's even better. Biking is just fun for me. If my bottom wasn't so sore (who designs these seats anyway?! Seriously.) I'd probably go again today. Instead I'm doing strength training today. Gotta get those deep squats right.

Happy Hump Day, friends.

And I'll leave you with these fun vinegar facts I got at Mark's Daily Apple before I leave:

In type 2 diabetics and people with insulin resistance, vinegar improves insulin sensitivity when taken with a high-carb meal.
Eating potatoes with a little bit of vinegar reduces the postprandial blood sugar and insulin response.
Both 15 and 30 mL (one or two tablespoons) of daily vinegar reduced body weight, waist circumference, triglycerides, and other symptoms of metabolic syndrome in obese Japanese subjects, absent any other interventions.
Vinegar (albeit vinegar with higher levels of acetic acid) can act as an organic herbicide.


Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-primal-8-foods-scrutinized/#ixzz20zCvBp49

5 comments:

  1. I have never been good at pull ups. I can still do 5 and that's it. No amount of P90x ever fixed that.

    I agree we should support free range plants. All this weeding business is killing helpless innocent plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pullups are HARD. When I belonged to a gym I always used to use the assisted pullups machine and believe me, I needed a lot of assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the ride. You cat trying the watermelon is HILARIOUS. She's a cutie. Have a great Wednesday Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Libby and Paco are the watermelon connoisseurs of blogland, lol!

    Do you have a gel seat on your bike? I hear they help, and I swear, if I rode a lot, I'd be getting the softest one out there!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)