Thursday, July 5, 2012

By the Numbers

This is going to be a picture intensive blog post but what else is new, right?

Monday, July 2, 2012

1. Got up and took Rachel to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to renew her learner's permit since she's not quite ready to get her license yet. We arrived at the office a little before 1:30. The line was crazy long. We ended up waiting in line for 4 long hours. Do you hear me?! 4 hours!
 2. I'm starting to realize I have no style or fashion sense. These shoes are several years old and I'm wearing a pair of jeans in the terrible heat of summer because I didn't feel like shaving my legs that morning. Sad. So very sad.
 At least it's not as bad as this! Ahhhh! My eyes!
 3. Sign at the DPS. Ha! I don't think so. Challenge accepted. But I will turn down the volume.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

4. Went to Froberg's Farmer's Market in Alvin, TX.
 Love the variety of peppers they grow. Plus the prices are great and I get to support local farmers.
 5. Learned about a new kind of squash called cucuzza squash. These things are huge! Next time I'll have to pick one up to try.
 6. Froberg's is a popular place for bikers to stop for a break. Homemade smoked sausages, boudain and beef jerky are available along with little fried pies, snacks and cold drinks. I'd like to ride there one day. But the AC in my car feels sooooo good.
 7. I always pass this guy selling watermelons and feel bad for him sitting out there in the heat without shade. I finally stopped and bought an enormous watermelon from him. Bless his heart, it's so hot! But I sure can't wait to cut into that melon. He thumped a few and picked out a good one for me.
 8. Finally got a little rain.
 9. I really didn't want to work out that evening but I did it anyway. Rachel did it earlier in the day on her own. So proud of her.
Chuck and I got to it around 8pm.
I am happy to report that I am getting much better with my deep squats. YAY! And my pushups on the stairs are getting ever-so-slightly better.
5 minutes walking
2 sets each of:
10 deep squats
10 stair pushups
10 situps
then 5 minutes walking
stretching

I could even walk the next day without soreness. Progress. :)

10. Rachel went fishing that night with her boyfriend's family. They asked about Rachel being around shrimp since she is allergic to them and  that's what they were using as bait. I said she'd be fine around them as long as she didn't eat them. I was wrong. She touched one and her finger swelled up. Poor kid. I didn't know that could happen! She still had a great time night fishing.

11. Our AC upstairs is out so the kids have been sleeping downstairs on the sofas. Of course, our warranty expired in February. We have a guy coming out Friday to check it out. It's been an interesting week.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Independence Day, America!
 12. I made some great coffee from Pearland Coffee Roasters, Chicken Fajita Egg Cupcakes, and homemade salsa. YUM! Great way to start the day.
 The "cupcakes" are low carb/Paleo so everyone is happy. :)

Chicken Fajita Egg Cupcakes
from Paleo Dish
  • 10 eggs
  • olive oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup shredded chicken- we used some leftovers from a whole chicken
  • 1/3 white/yellow onion- finely chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper- finely chopped
  • 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic (can use either)
  • 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
  • fresh ground pepper to taste (optional)
  • Instructions
    1. begin by chopping and preparing all ingredients needed- set aside
    2. crack eggs in a large bowl, add water and whisk thoroughly
    3. add in spices and the chopped veggies and shredded chicken
    4. once again, whisk thoroughly
    5. grease muffin tins with some olive oil
    6. pour mixture into muffin cups (almost all the way to the top)
    7. heat oven and bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes (use a toothpick/fork to check if they are done)
    8. enjoy!

    1 Minute Salsa
    From Cook's Illustrated

    1/2 small jalapeno (I used a whole one and next time I'll use more)
    1/4 small red onion
    2 Tbs fresh cilantro leaves
    2 tsp. lime juice
    1 small garlic clove, minced
    1/4 tsp salt
    pinch pepper
    1 (14.5 oz) can dice tomatoes

    Pulse jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in food processor until finely chopped, about 5 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Add tomatoes and pulse until roughly chopped, about 2 pulses. Serve.

    13. Made a pitcher of mojitos. Do you like the way I measure? I don't! I just juiced some fresh limes, added some mint sprigs from the yard and some rum. Muddled the mint leaves, added some lime slices and some diet Sprite. Was very good. Just kind of made up my own recipe. But it wasn't time to drink them yet. Nope. I made them up (minus the Sprite) then put them in the fridge for later.
    14. Went for a family hike at Brazos Bend State Park.

    15. Guy at the nature center let us pet a tarantula.
     16. It's so good to see the kids enjoying themselves, laughing and getting along.
     17. Black bellied whistler duck
     18. Look at me! I'm a bird! Holy crap! I'm a bird!
     19. Baby moor hen
     20. Yellow crowned night heron.
     21. The kids checking out an old stump of a very large oak tree.
     22. A frog on a lilypad.
     23. And a pretty butterfly...
     24. A juvenile great blue heron. Or he's moulting?
    25. We hiked 4 miles before we started hearing thunder and dark clouds started to gather. Was a great time with lots of laughs and wildlife and sweating. Geez, it was hot!

    26. After getting cleaned up it was mojito time.
    27. Watched The Vow with Chuck and then turned off the lights and opened the blinds so we could watch the fireworks going off in the sky.

    Whew! That was a long post! Hope you had a great holiday, for those of you that are celebrating. More exercise coming up tomorrow but I am happy to report that I'm not sore at all from Tuesday's exercises. Finally making progress.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)