Monday, July 30, 2012

Cravings, Feelings, and a Nature Hike

Meat!! It's what's for dinner! Along with some sweet potato (it's amazing how tender these things get when you forget to set the timer on the oven and they cook for a couple of hours. True story.) and a butt load of spinach. (butt load= a LOT!) Chuck was grill master and these turned out phe-NOM-inal. We were all purring like kittens after dinner.
 And then we got to sleep in the next day and Chuck was back in the kitchen cooking up bacon and eggs for breakfast before we all headed out for some fun. This stuff keeps ya full for quite a while!
 I had a Groupon about to expire for a family outing at Mountasia. Go carts, bumper boats, and mini golf. We had a friggin blast driving those go carts. Charlie did surprisingly well for his first time behind the wheel. 

You know what sucks? People that can't drive go carts. They're all over the place and you can't pass them. They're hitting walls and swerving and every time you try to pass they cut you off. I finally bumped that cart a little and got around. That really pissed off that 8 year old boy! Hey! Learn to drive. I joke. Kind of.

Bumper boats!! Oh how cute. We're going to get in boats and drive around and bump each other. Wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong. These boats are armed with water guns that never need to be refilled. Just push a button and you're shooting water at your loved ones. Guess who the kids like to aim for when they have a weapon (which is kind of scary now that I think about it): the parents. So I give you the before and after picture of the bumper boat ride.
 Drenched. Soaked. Fun.

After spending about an hour and a half in traffic we were finally back home. I decided to go for a little bike ride and enjoy the evening. Ahhhh. Watching the sun set over the neighborhood. I love my bike.
 I rode to an undeveloped portion of the neighborhood and saw a bald eagle. I kid you not. He took off flying and making his screaming calls and I just stared at him/her with my mouth hanging open. It was amazing! Right in my own neighborhood! When I finally came to my senses and tried to get a picture he had already flown beyond some trees so no picture. But it was definitely a WOW moment.

A nice 10 mile leisurely bike ride.

Hey, you know those pathos ivies you can buy anywhere? Guess what happens if you almost kill one and decide to stick it in the ground and tell it good luck? It grows HUGE!!! Some of those leaves are a good 2 feet.
 I have been exercising and trying to eat better. My squats have been driving me up the friggin wall. I finally told coach Jason some issues I was having with my hips hurting when I tried to stand up and he gave me some exercises to strengthen those adductor muscles. Sure enough, that's exactly where I was feeling pain. So I'm doing some modifications like sitting on a low tool box during squats to help me with my form and using a band around my knees to strengthen the adductor muscles. I sent in a video and he said I'm near perfect. YES!! You have no idea how much this has been bothering me. I hate not being able to do something.

I also mentioned to the EPLifeFit board that I've been having some serious issues with cravings. They're almost insane! It feels like a need instead of just a craving and when I give in I feel like a failure. Let's add headache and fatigue to the mix and you get one cranky Happy Texan.

I have felt a little down from the lack of proper form on squats (why can't I do this already?!) to the cravings (why can't I get a hold of this?!) to the headaches and fatigue (I'm getting plenty of sleep so why am I so tired all the time?!). The whole thing has made me feel....I don't know....like a bit of a failure?

Well, I read some stuff and posted about my cravings, fatigue, headaches on the EPLifeFit forum and it's all natural when you eat like crap and then try to change it. (See THIS and THIS) The best way to get over it is just be strong through the cravings, don't give in, and ride it out until it gets better.

Whew! Good to know. Oh, but that was after I gave in to a craving for pizza with hubby and went on a date. Yep. Beer was involved. I'm being honest here. I'm not a healthy-eating saint.
 I think one of the hardest things is making the head and the heart match intentions and make the unshakable decision to commit to a healthy lifestyle. You may know what's right to do but until you've got body and soul working in the same direction, it doesn't mean a hill of beans. And herein lies my struggle. I know what to do. Now I just need to commit. No one can do it for me. This is alllllll me.

Saturday morning  Chuck had a shooting match. It was crazy, insane hot out there. I met a friend in the bathroom.
 Chuck didn't do as well as he wanted. I thought he came in third but he came in fourth place. Still not bad. But, of course, we are our own worst critics so he wasn't happy with it at all.

After the match was over we drove to Lumberton, my hometown. My mom had been keeping the dog and bearded dragon while we went on our little vacation last weekend. It's always great to see family. She showed me pics of my great, great, great grandfather and grandmother and told me some interesting stories about them. Nice to know where you came from.

Sunday morning Rachel got in some driving practice by taking us out to Big Thicket National Preserve. I got a book about swamps at the gift shop then we went on a short walk on a trail.

 There were ferns growing beneath the pine trees. It was so pretty and peaceful. If only it would have been just a little cooler. It's hard to fully enjoy it with sweat running in your eyes.
 This is sassafras. The roots were used to make rootbeer and that sassafras tea. The leaves don't smell like rootbeer but the stems do. During the fall they turn beautiful vibrant red.
 The American beautyberry was putting on quite a show too! The berries are not tasty but some use them to make jelly and wines. Also, the leaves make a natural mosquito repellent if you rub them on your body.
 These are pitcher plants which like to grow in boggy areas. The bug crawls inside and is trapped in a gooey liquid. The plant digests the bug. nom nom nom. Feed me, Seymour!
 There were several growing out there. Very cool!
 I knew that sundew were also located out there and wasn't going to leave until I found one. They're not the easiest to spot because they're very, very tiny. They are another carnivorous plant. That is my index finger pointing at one.  The little drops of "dew" hold the bug.
 Yep, I'm a nature girl. Grew up on 10 acres with horses and chickens and all kinds of animals. But I steal squeal if a spider gets on me. This is my parents' home. Very pretty! I grew up on this land but not that house. They built that one and tore down the other one because it was a shack built around 1900 and not in great shape. Shack may be a little harsh. ;)

On the way home I was finishing up It Starts with Food and finally started getting my heart to match my head in eating right. I even started to get a little excited! I may have gotten so excited that I cleaned out the pantry when I got home and discovered that I have been buying a ton of tuna for no apparent reason. Why do I buy tuna every time I go to the store? Weird.
Tuna trifle or a trifle of tuna?
 The pantry is clean! Rachel has her own shelf devoted to her cake baking. Yeah, you'll see some crap food in there like bread and chips. Look, I have people that come over here to visit. The kids have friends. I don't expect them to want to eat a carrot. They can have chips. It's there if they want it. I'll just stock the pantry with stuff I don't want.
 So, yeah. I'm ready. I've been getting a menu together, clipping coupons, cleaning stuff out, reading a lot. It's time for a major overhaul. I always get lazy about eating in the summer. I know this about myself.

I've decided to do the Whole30 challenge. 30 days no alcohol (guess I'll cancel that group bike ride/pub crawl/brewery tour), no sugar/sugar substitutes, no dairy (I will miss you, cheese), no grains (farewell, pizza and low carb tortillas). There's probably more.

This all starts August 1st. As a group, many people will start the challenge on that day and have each other for support because. From what I've read, the first week is a real b*tch! I'll be blogging about my raw feelings and not holding anything back.

I'll be continuing with my exercises from EPLifeFit and walking and riding my bike.

Here's the thing: this all starts on Charlie's 12th birthday. Wednesday, August 1. So this whole 30 day thing I am doing in honor of my little boy so I can be a better role model to him and be able to keep up with my grandkids in the future. I can do this!

Hope you had a great weekend. Are you taking care of yourself or is it time to recommit too? Feel free to join me! Misery loves company. The more the merrier!

12 comments:

  1. The hike looks so fun! I had steak today too! I miss eating sweet potatoes. Yummmm

    Cravings was one of the reasons why I decided I couldn't go the deprivation diet route again. I really did want something I could live with for the rest of my life. All in moderation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have my splurge stuff that I can't live without (I'm looking at you, brownie) AFTER the 30 days. This is supposed to be a tough love way to get back on track and get those hormones balanced. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. Great pics as always Kelly. And great new-to-me expression. I will be using "butt load" as much as possible!! :) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO thrilled to be enriching your vocabulary. LOL

      Delete
  3. The hardest part of any lifestyle change is the beginning - be it muscle soreness from starting an exercise plan, to the cravings and headaches from a diet change. After going through all of that, I try (TRY) to stick to the new change, because hell if I want to go through all that misery AGAIN. Good luck with the 30 Day plan and I hope that you can extend it further. :)

    P.S. Do you even LIKE tuna? LOL on the pantry cleanout discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get a little off track during the summer. It's just such a carefree time. But I may have had a little too much fun. Again. Do time to get back at it.

      I DO like tuna. LOL I guess I just picked up a pack here and there when they were on sale and tossed them in the pantry. Good grief. I am prepared for hurricane season fo sho! LOL

      Delete
  4. That head/heart/knowing what to do matching thing is a PITA isn't it? Everyone has to go through that, no matter what program or lifestyle they choose.

    Good luck on the Whole 30. I read a blog post about the different phases of it and it scared me so much I didn't even want to try it anymore lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about the different phases too. Scary! Yikes. But I love experimenting on myself so here we go. And been browsing recipes so I think, NO, I KNOW I can do this! :D

      Delete
    2. 'it scared me so much I didn't even want to try it'? I think Helen needs to look up Diabetes, now that's scary!

      Go for it Kelly! You can do it!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow - no wine OR cheese? Not sure I could do that! But I love all the hot sauce on your eggs! :D You can do it Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to do some recommitting this week too. Time to get serious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am 100% there. MY HEAD KNOWS I NEED CORE WORK. MY HEART KNOWS I NEED CORE WORK.
    NEITHER IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)