Thursday, July 26, 2012

Crockpot Pork Green Chile & Random Thoughts

I'm giving you fair warning: I'm all over the place this morning. It could be from the extra coffee I had, the vinegar shot (wha?!), or the energy packed breakfast I had. Or the 9 hours of sleep I got last night. But this post is just going to be a roller coaster of randomness. Buckle up and keep you hands in at all times.

Cookies? Why would Rachel make these super huge, super soft, perfect cookies from my all time favorite cookbook from America's Test Kitchen? Oh, for her boyfriend. Luckily for me most of these were destined to be sent home with him and the rest Charlie kept nibbling. Cookies are now gone. Does anything make a house smell better than fresh baked cookies? If they made a perfume that smelled like that I'm pretty sure the ladies would have men following them around like lost puppies. Just sayin.

My glamorous life includes things such as grocery shopping. And what should I see on the shelf? 'Merica flavored cereal. Tastes like freedom and diabetes. Am I supposed to believe that our athletes are fueling with these sugar bombs?
 I signed back up with The Grocery Game since I was able to get the Sunday paper delivered for $26 for the whole year. I love me a good deal. Anyway, I'm clipping coupons like it's a hobby and got a trunk-load full of groceries. Yes, yes, yes. There's some crap in there but there's also fruit, veggies and a ton of meat.
 Look at how much I saved!! I walked out of that store with my head held high and a swagger to my step. That's a huge savings! I'm telling you I always save a ton o' money with this grocery game thing
 I've been meaning to get a picture of this sign. I guess it's open to interpretation? A few days ago I actually saw a cop parked in front of that sign. Was he hoping to catch someone not speeding?
 My cat likes to hold my hand when I pet her. It's sweet until she bites me for no reason. What's wrong with cats?! They're so bipolar.  (I warned you this was going to be a random post. No complaining.)
 My brakes were screaming horrible things every time I used them so Chuck changed them. It's good to have a man who knows how to do things like this. I almost feel guilty when I kick back in a chair to watch him work on it. Hey, I did bring him a cold drink and a sweat rag. I'm not totally useless. And now Dash has some new kicks.
 I swear I'm trying to eat healthy. I had eggs on spinach mixed with coconut oil and topped with salsa. But all I really want is Cap n Crunch covered in chocolate milk. What is wrong with me?!
 Speaking of wrong.....bacon syrup? I'm sure it has a use. God knows I love bacon but I'm having trouble getting on board with that one. Maybe over pancakes? With bacon! Nah. Too much sugar. *le sigh*
 I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. I had to get chocolate with beef jerky and some dark chocolate with bacon. We all nibbled it. Um, not into the beef jerky. I don't want smoky tasting chocolate. The bacon, however, was so good. Wonder how it would be with Cap n Crunch.
 And then there's this. I only bought one and it still hasn't been opened. How could I resist? I love Monty Python! And this is "tempered over burning witches"? Come on! It had to come home with me. Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?!
 Do you know your peppers? No need to guess, I labeled them for you! In fancy lettering. You are impressed, yes? (all.over.the.place with randomness)
 So I'm making this "paleo crockpot pork green chile" yesterday. It calls for all kinds of chiles. Not only the peppers above but 3 cans of green chilies and cayenne. Spicy! But when I assembled it in the crockpot it looked like....I'm sorry to say this....vomit. Ewwww.
 But something magical happened in the hours it simmered away. Tada! A delicious (I mean this stuff was awesome!!!) pork green chile. Tasty and very filling. The recipe is from PaleOMG. I love her blog. She's super funny and has some darn good recipes too. Plus she's really in good shape so it gives me something to strive for. I bet she can even do a deep squat. Properly. Without leaning forward.
 Let me share some things I learned while making this dish.
  1. Even if you wash your hands really good with soap and water, you're still going to have pepper residue on your hands which mean that if you even touch your eyelid it will feel like the devil just spit in your eye. True story!! The pain! Omg!
  2. If you just toss in an entire pork loin, the meat shreds into very, very long strands like spaghetti. And then you have to twirl the meat around on your fork to eat it. But you'll also need a spoon for the watery, soupy stuff. So maybe cut that pork in half. OR use the long strands as spaghetti noodles and top with meat sauce. Just an idea.

Guess what! You don't have to eat eggs every day for breakfast. You can have leftovers. I topped some leftover lemon pepper broccoli with the pork green chile for breakfast. It was so filling! And tasty.

In other news, my glutes are still weak. And it makes me angrier than you can imagine. I'm so frustrated trying to do these deep squats properly. It's like my body refuses to cooperate. Now I'm walking around with a band around my knees trying to get my fanny strong. By the end of this I'll be able to open a beer bottle with my fanny of steel. What a gross image. I'm sorry.

I've also been very sleepy all week and don't know why. Like almost zero energy. Not sure what that's all about. I'm not going to worry about it. It'll go away.

I read an article (well, most of an article) about how taking vinegar shots will help insulin resistant folks (hey! That's me!!) become more sensitive to insulin and will help you lose weight. It's based on studies so it's got to be true, right? Anyway, I've been choking back a shot or two of vinegar every day. The gag reflex has gone away but I have learned not to drink it on an empty stomach. It burns all the way down and then makes me immediately nauseous. Good appetite suppressant though!

I've taken up way too much of your time with all of this randomness. Good of you to stop by and listen to my ramblings. I'm off to go work on strengthening my glutes so I can finally get these squats right. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. I rarely do coupons - maybe if I have a large one, I'll use it. Usually I forget that I have them and then later on, I experience coupon rage. I did have a good one for World Market, which I used on food - is that were you saw the bacon syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! World Market! I love that store. They have some Moroccan style lamps I'm wanting pretty bad.

      Delete
  2. You crack me up!

    I hear you on being sleepy all the time. I hate it!

    The pork green chile looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pork green chile is FAB! You should give it a try.

      Delete
  3. I used to work at a place that sold those kinds of syrups for coffees, etc. People would either buy it to try it, or some would make maple/bacon lattes closer to the fall.

    Guuuuurl. Peppers are no freaking joke. I made some habanero infused tequla a couple of months ago and I washed my hands about 5 times over 5 hours. Then I went to put my contacts in...PAIN AND BURNING EYES FOR 10 MINUTES!!! Like automatically squeezed shut, cannot open for anything. It was terrible. And I will always wear gloves the next time. It wasn't like I needed to go to the ER, but it hurt really bad! The next day I got shampoo in my eyes while showering and I thought "Hey, shampoo to the eyes doesn't hurt that bad!" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny! I was cracking up reading your comment. :D

      Delete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)