Friday, August 31, 2012

Whole30 Experiment Results

Those that are close to me know that I am a total geek when it comes to science. Love it. So indulge me as I present my results as a sort of n=1 (one subject in the experiment and that was me) experiment pseudo-lab report.

Whole30 Results

Abstract: I've spent the past few years trying to learn what works in regards to nutrition and exercise for healthy weight, hormone levels, and well being. I've tried several things and stumbled upon It Starts With Food book. I was sick and tired of feeling like crap from the food I was eating over the summer. After committing to 30 days of eating the Whole30 way I lost weight, a dress size, skin improved, sleep improved, skin glowed. It worked so well for me that I would recommend it to all of my friends and family.

Introduction: I kept seeing the book, It Starts With Food, on various blogs and web sites and decided to read it. I was struggling with sugar/carbs cravings on a daily basis and needed something to get me back on track.  I had gained 30 pounds over the summer but the cravings were so intense that I was having trouble fighting them. The book was based on solid science and made sense so I decided to commit to eating the recommended foods for 30 days to kick my sugar habit.

Methods: For 30 days I ate moderate amounts of proteins in the form of eggs, meat and seafood, healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, and some nuts), as many vegetables as I wanted but I tried to keep the higher carb ones to a minimum (such as sweet potato), and limited amounts of fruit. I kept the fruits and higher carbohydrate vegetables to a minimum because of my insulin resistance. I did not ingest any sugar or artificial sweeteners, alcohol, grains, legumes (including soy, soy sauce, peanuts), or dairy (except for ghee which has milk solids removed). I was 100% compliant.  Exercise was as I felt like it and I avoided cardio (for reasons I may or may not share at a later date). I walked and biked at a slow to moderate pace. I also performed some strength training.

My variants to the Whole30 plan: I was supposed to take measurements and "before" pictures before I started. My intention was to do it on the first day but at the end of the first day I felt so terrible that I did not do it. The general malaise lasted a full week. I was also not supposed to weigh myself during the duration of the 30 days but I weighed myself anyway.

Results: In 30 days, I lost 13.7 pounds, lost my cravings for sweets, changed my tastes, became fat adapted, sleep so much better, skin cleared up, skin glows, clearer eyes, dark skin on knuckles and elbows has lightened (a sign of pre-diabetes), lost at least 1 dress size, have more energy, no anxiety attacks, no racing heart or irregular heartbeats, nails growing at accelerated rate, seasonal allergies finally disappeared, no energy slumps, higher energy, and I wake up without an alarm clock. My clothes are fitting better and doctor said he could feel a difference in my muscle tone. Blood pressure went down dramatically from being so bad at the doctor's office that it would not register on their machine and he discussed blood pressure meds to 130/80 today. My energy improvements were impressive.

Discussion: The Whole30 experiment was a great way for me to conquer my cravings and get back on track to eating a low carb diet. It exceeded my expectations in results. I will be evaluating items that I would like to add back in my diet on a case by case basis. The things I would like to have from time to time include alcohol and dairy. Sweets will be special occasion only. Now that the 30 days are up, I did taste a cupcake and did not like it at all. Also tasted a corn chip with salsa. The salsa tasted sweet and the chip tasted like rancid oil. I did not like it. Hopefully my tastes have changed and I will continue on this path. Blood work will be performed next week to see how Whole30 has changed my insides. Cholesterol, triglycerides, A1C, and various other tests will be performed.


What's next: I love the food I am eating right now and how it makes me feel so I will continue to eat this way most of the time except for what I consider special occasions. I will add in more strength training and more walking and some interval training. I will continue to monitor my weight (even though it's not the most accurate measurement of health) and body fat percentage (with a digital scale even though it is not the most accurate measurement of BF%, I will be looking for trends) and blood work.


Now for some not-so-sciency stuff: guys, I am surprised at how many benefits I got out of these 30 days. All I was aiming for was to get rid of these stupid cravings I was having. I got so much more. My big belly is actually going away!! Call it paleo, call it low carb, call it clean eating. Whatever. It was just short of miraculous to me. I feel like a different person. I even feel happier. It's just crazy!

Don't tell me it's too hard. Being tired and miserable is hard. Fighting cancer is hard. Losing a loved one is hard. Living with the effects of diabetes is hard (I'm seeing that with a relative right now and lost one relative to it). Having an aching back because you're fat is hard. Trying to go for a walk when you're carrying too much weight on your body is hard. Trying on clothes and hating the way you look every time you look in the mirror is hard. Eating good food for a month is not hard. Thirty days is nothing. 

I stuck through this during birthday parties, lunch dates, cocktail parties, restaurants, and road trips. It can be done if you are willing to do it. It's not willpower; it's willingness to make a change.

And if I can do it, you can do it. Try it. What do you have to lose? ;)

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is fantastic! 13 pounds?! I lost 6.8, a dress size and lots of cravings. I'm going to continue till Sunday then have some different foods with a guest that will be in town. Sounds like our results were very similar. Pretty terrific huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6.8 pounds is wonderful! Congratulations to you as well.

      I'm really just floored by all the changes. I can't remember feeling this good.

      Delete
  2. I'm proud of you for sticking with this - I know it wasn't easy. I appreciated your saying the corn chip tasted rancid...it's amazing how your tastes can change once you stop eating that stuff. I hope you continue with this journey in some way, as the health benefits are obviously huge for you. :)

    Oh, and I'm curious as to why you are not doing cardio...that is such an antithesis to most weight loss programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to keep at this, Shelley. It's the best I've felt in a very long time. I'm bouncing off the walls.

      As far as the cardio stuff, I'm leary of talking much about it because I don't want to offend those who love cardio. But it was recommended to me to stop cardio for exercise and several links and reasons were given. I may experiment a little first. I don't know about saying reasons why yet.

      I guess it depends on the goals of each individual. My goal is to drop my body fat percentage and have well defined muscle tone. It is not to run a half marathon or 5k and place in the top 10. So how I reach my goal will be different for someone who wants to run faster and farther. Does that make sense?

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on making it through the full 30 days! Having read Whole30 myself, I want to know if you are going to try to reintroduce any of the things you thought you'd miss - for example, cheese, as per their chapter at the end of the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE certian cheese like aged gouda so that is something on want in my life in moderation. Grains? Not so much. Maybe on special occasions or holidays. I also like a cocktail from time to time.

      I feel so good eating this way that I don't want to add too much back in. I thought I missed Diet Coke until I had one today. It made me feel bad (same with Chuck) and it didn't taste good. So I don't know. I'm trying to find my bearings right now.

      Delete
  4. CONGRATS!!!! It's so cute that you started this post with an abstract just like a real scientific study! Isn't it amazing how eating cleaner can change so many things. I noticed my anxiety significantly reduced when I stopped eating dairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had anxiety too? It's crazy but if I eat a high carb dinner I have incredible anxiety attacks through the night. It's pretty bad.

      That's been all gone this whole month.

      Glad you like my science report. ;)

      Delete
  5. You really rocked the Whole 30!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Was easier than I thought it was going to be. :D

      Delete
  6. I found your blog from googling the book Run Your Butt Off, but I started reading and have been hooked on your Whole30 experiment. I am off to investigate more about it. Your results have been fantastic!I am very interested in the better sleeping aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow amazing results. I will finish on Tuesday, my results are not as amazing as yours, but I am still quite impressed and think I'll stick to this diet more or less. I have actually had no cravings through the W30. Greek youghurt, cheese and red wine are the things I would like to reintroduce this to my diet, once in a while. And also I will eat whatever I want when I'm on a restaurant. Kelly whatever you do, don't add dietcoke, I believe artificaial sweeteners is pure poison, it's so addictive and so not good for us. I drank lots of Pepsi Max, but managed to quit the nasty habit about 5 years ago. Now I avoid all kind of artificial sweeteners, soda, chewing gum, the lot. If I want to drink Coke, I drink the real thing, it happens maybe 10 times a year.

    Keep up the good work, and have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I'm a computer scientist and right now I'm at something called a programming Jam. Basically we have 10 hours to make an application for blackberry. We decided to make an application that helps you track your diet and exercise together with pictures of your process and stuff like that! I need ideas of what the user needs in this sort of applications. I need to hear what you would find useful in a mobile applications that would help you track your weight loss!

    Ideas!? Please share this link http://emiliosweightloss.blogspot.com!!!

    EMILIO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats and thanks for such a thorough evaluation. I started my own Whole30 challenge today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recap Kelly! Were you excited to have a beer today??!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been hearing so much about this diet but know nothing about it. 13 pounds is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ran across your blog from a link somewhere about Whole30 and was inspired reading your journey through 30 days. I am through week one with 3 more weeks to go, but reading your day by day track of how you made it through each day was pretty cool. Made it more real to me and the fact that your whole family was on board was very nice. We live in Texas too...a bit north of Houston now, but we spent over 8 months down in Pearland the last part of last year and first part of this year while we were selling our home in Colorado. So I recognized places like Alvin. Ok I have to say, I laughed about dreaming about food you can't eat - until it happened to me and in my dream I was saying.."Oh No! I can't eat that!!!" LOL! I think you and your family have some great times together ahead of you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking for Whole30 recipes, I stumbled onto your blog. Today is actually my first day and your posts are really inspiring. Congratulations on your success!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)