Sunday, September 2, 2012

Whole30 Results from a Man's Perspective: Guest Post

A guest post by me, Chuck.  I am Kelly's husband and her ardent disciple.

Diets.  Face it.  The mere mention of the word makes a guy's skin crawl.  It means that we are going to be hungry.  It means that we will be told what we can eat and when and how much.

It just sucks.

This didn't.
Paleo does not suck.  There is no suck to embrace.  Only good food, and lots of it.

I started out a bit hefty.  I am right below 6'3" tall.  I have weighed, on average for the past few years, about 240 pounds.

Thirty days into this diet, I weigh 224.  No exercise people.  Just a little walking here and there.

Did you hear that?  No exercise.  No treadmill.  No running.  Just eating.

When I say "eating", I really mean it.  I sat down to each meal I had during the day and ate until I was no longer hungry.  Good food.  Just about anything a guy could want.  I had to give up sugar and that was hard for me.  I struggled through the entire thirty days wanting a cookie or some ice cream, but it wasn't anything that kept me awake at night.

But I stuck with it for thirty days.  The cravings for sugar eventually subsided.


The highlight of all of this has many points.
  • First and foremost, I was absolutely NOT hungry.  After the first week, all of my cravings left.  I did struggle with sugar cravings right at the end for about two days, but now I could care less.
  • My belly, which wasn't too big in the beginning, has slimmed considerably.  Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures or measure.
  • While it is embarrassing to mention, I have had problems with my ears, having to constantly clean them.  Two weeks in, my ears cleared up.  
  • I feel fantastic.  I sleep harder, and wake up more easily. 
There are more, but I don't want to bore you with details.

I know that the majority of Kelly's readers are female.  I know that it is hard to get the support of your husband, boyfriend, etc., when you want to start a new "diet". 

I know, as a guy, that the word "diet" ranks right up there with "prostate exam".  But to those fellas that want to treat this manner of eating that way I say, "it is your loss".  Seriously.  I eat steak, bacon, eggs, fish, burgers, fajitas.... it really doesn't get any better than that.  There are "other" benefits to this as well.

One of my responses to this thirty day setup was a bit of resentment to the fact that I couldn't have any alcohol.  That was a tough - I must admit.  I would even go as far as to say it was hard.  But let me follow up with a statement.  This is not that hard.  You know what is hard?

It's hard to look in the mirror and see your gut sagging over your belt.  Seriously... my wife sees that too.  Not attractive.
It's hard to roll out of bed in the morning with an aching back.  It makes you irritable.  It makes you difficult to live with.
It's hard to not be able to play with your kids because you are simply too tired.  They will remember it.
It's hard to comb your hair and see a lot of hair in the sink.
It's hard to look at your face in the mirror and see more than the original chin sitting there.

You know what is harder than all of that? 

Think of getting a report from your doctor telling you that you are going to have to start taking blood pressure pills.  Or, getting a report from the doc telling you that you are borderline diabetic, or worse, diabetic.  I have seen first hand the impact that diabetes has on someone.  My uncle is laid up in the hospital right now because of his diabetes.  His entire family is suffering right now.

Or a report telling you that your heart is shot.

My point is, "man up".  Take thirty days to make yourself whole.  You won't regret it.  Your life touches so many other lives, and when you are happy and healthy, it sets a fantastic example to your family and the people that you come into contact with on a daily basis.

Gents, remember how you felt when you were seventeen.  Endless energy.  Stamina.  An awesome outlook on life.  Feed your body so that it can perform FOR you. 

Supporting Kelly through this Whole30 was eye opening for me in more ways than I can list here.  Now that we are through with the thirty days, I can honestly say that the only thing I want to add back is bourbon and/or scotch.  I have no desire for chips, breads, pastas, or even sugary drinks.  I like my tea and coffee plain ol' straight up.  And for whatever reason, it seems to me that it is quite manly to take your coffee "black".

In closing, fellas: 
Give your woman some support.  You will benefit from this immensely.  The attention you give this woman will be returned ten fold.  Do it because you love her, do it because you want to spend many days with her.

For Kelly, we celebrated our twenty-third year together yesterday.  You are for me forever young.  I want to remain in your presence for a very long time, because without you I would be simply existing.  One of the best things that has come out of this union is, that there is one face on which changes have come without me seeing them... yours is one face that I still see the same, and forever will this be.

Thank you for investing in your family.
Thank you for investing in me.

Onward and downward! 
 

8 comments:

  1. Great post! Must have husband read this. And I totally choked up at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and inspiring! You two go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Kelly, dont take this the wrong way BUT, I THINK I LOVE CHUCK!!!!! HA HA


    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always great when husbands get on board...nice job with the support, Chuck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Chuck!!!! Kelly is lucky to have such great support, and you're lucky to have her! Win/win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You are one lucky lady!! Having that kind of support and love from a husband is not always easy to find. Chuck, you rock man! You are truly the definition of what a loving, caring husband should be ... What a great family =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)