Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:

Chuck and I went on a little weekend getaway trip because I had a Groupon (I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty) for a bed and breakfast in San Antonio.

The place was very Israel-centered. You drive through a neighborhood comprised of mobile homes then there is a huge gate and a flag for each tribe of Judah.
 Each of the 6 rooms was beautifully decorated.
 Sorry about the junk on the table and floor. This was Saturday morning when I'd already made myself at home.
 The breakfast/sitting area was spacious and bright. We learned that the B&B is used to support a children's home on the premises. This whole place was built by a church in San Antonio.
 I think they said there are 131 acres. There were horses right outside of our room.
 Friday night we head in to town. We got a front row parking spot at a restaurant but the wait was an hour long! So Chuck and I sat in the back seat of the car and had a couple of tequila shots from a bottle we had bought on the way.  When we got out of the car the alarm went off and everyone turned around and stared. Felt like we had gotten caught being naughty or something which made it even funnier to me. 

Saturday morning was bright and beautiful. Sitting on the couch in the sitting area waiting on breakfast.
 No pork is served here so it was turkey bacon and sausage. FYI:turkey bacon is not bacon. That is all. There were other foods but I didn't want to eat a breakfast too high in carbs. I did enjoy a pancake though.
 After breakfast we walked the property and found pig, deer, coyote and raccoon tracks.
 I spied a dry creek bed. So pretty up here!
 I have a thing for geology and rocks. Fossil hunting will keep me busy for hours! I always assume nobody else wants to hunt for them so I spend a good amount of time apologizing but Chuck assured me that he enjoyed it too. I could have spent the whole day by this little pond. Birds came to land. Fish were swimming. A breeze was blowing.
 We found a pretty decent load of fossils. The shell on the top has a quarter on it to show the size. Just oyster and clam shells.
 We walked 3.13 miles then it was time to get cleaned up and get some food! We were hungry. I found a place that Adam from Man vs Food had visited to try their Four Horsemen burger challenge. Chunky's Burgers and more. I was going for something a little less spicy.
 Time for a splurge. Sam Adams porchrocker beer with a lemon stuck in the bottle. Was pure heaven sitting on the patio outside drinking this.
 Brownies 3 for $2! The waitress was very friendly (You have the most gorgeous eyes!! hehehe) and even put a cute little note on the box. Haven't had a brownie in such a long time. Yep, just as good as I remember.
 We ordered two different types of burgers then split them. That way we get to try different things! No way we could eat all our food so we shared with some stray cats that visit the restaurant.
 One good thing about going when it's almost time to close, no one there!
 Got back to the room and there was a little barn swallow sitting on a fan blade. So cute I could have squeezed it!  We also saw a young coyote!!!
 They keep the hallway and fireplace lit with candles at night. There was also water, soda and snacks stocked. We went through a LOT of water, no sodas, and a couple of snacks.
 Sunday morning we said our goodbyes and headed to the Riverwalk and visited my favorite Texas gift shop at the mall.
 There's so much to see on the Riverwalk! And a cool front had blown in the night before so the weather was perfect.

I'd pull Chuck to the side sometimes and say, "Hang on. I just need to look around. I want to see it all."

 Such a happy little store. I try to visit it each time I got to San Antonio. Got a couple of shirts.
 The breeze, the cool weather, sights and sounds.....we just sat outside on a balcony and absorbed it all for a while.
 Can't visit San Antonio without going to the Alamo!!
 Then off to Mi Tierra for food and drink and to get the kids 10 vanilla filled churros. The atmosphere in here is just eye candy. It's another place I like to stand to the side and just take it all in.
 I got a watermelon margarita and Chuck got a mango rita. Yum!!!! The food is nothing to write home about but the drinks are pretty darn good.
 It was finally time to head home and we were both tired (mostly from having trouble sleeping because of pounding hearts due to the carb-o-rific meals we had) so we did whatever it took to stay awake. Rock Star with extra caffeine. I shoved brownies in Chuck's face while he drove. Sang to the radio. Acted goofy. Asked stupid questions. It was fun. :)

After a trip like that you need a couple of days to catch up. Monday night we had a little therapy. Wine therapy. Oh, how I love you, Malbec.

The Bad:

Before we went out of town I had my first mammogram. I didn't know they could make "them" that flat. And from various angles. It's just so humiliating. But you do what you got to do.

I had to stand there with my jeans on and nothing on top except a cape. A cape! And this woman just grabbed the girls and put them wherever she wanted. I tried to talk about the weather but it just made it more awkward.
-------------------------------

On the way to San Antonio I got a call from my doctor's office. The pap smear results were in and there were "atypical cells" on the test. They don't know what it is at this point and this is the first time this has ever happened. I will go back in 3 months for another test.

I admit that my heart sank when she told me that. I told Chuck and his face drained for a minute. But after consulting Dr Google it doesn't sound like anoything too terrible. So it's life as usual for me. I actually forgot about the test results several times while on vacation. Even made jokes about it after a while:
Me: Chuck, do you know how lucky you are? You have an atypical wife. Everything about me is different. Even my CELLS are different. You've got it good.
Chuck: *rolls eyes* No, you're not a typical wife.
---------------
Another bad thing. Both Chuck and I experienced tummy aches and pounding, racing hearts after eating bad. I also had the added fun of anxiety.

I finally did some reading and found out that the body senses the glucose as a threat and adrenaline and cortisol are released as a "fight or flight" response. Maybe that's why the anxiety? Of course, that's an over simplified explanation but that's what it boils down to.

I want to experiment a little but it also seems to be not-quite-so-bad if I eat a carby meal then move around for a while. Like a carby lunch then go for a walk. Either I don't notice it as much or the GLUT4 receptors are opened up and the body becomes more insulin sensitive with the movement. Hmmm.....may have to experiment some.
----------------
We ate a total of 4 splurge meals. What damage did it do? For both of us it was over 6.5 pounds GAIN. Not good. A lot of it is water retention because we both lost almost 2 pounds in one day after getting back to eating right.

Lesson: only indulge in a splurge if the food is really good because, otherwise, it's just not worth it.

The Ugly:

Friday night the sky was so pretty we turned off the porch light and walked onto the patio barefoot to look at the stars. You could see the Milky Way. So pretty.

Saturday night we left the porch light on because we knew we would be getting home after dark. And there were these critters everywhere! OMG, I was out barefoot the night before!
 This scorpion had babies on her back. No, I didn't kill it. I kill gnats, flies and mosquitoes. And bacon. That's it. And leeches. I don't like leeches.

It was a great trip. I think my favorite part was the hiking and collecting fossils. Second favorite part was giggling and taking tequila shots in the back seat of the car. How old are we again?  Least favorite part was leaving San Antonio.

Hope you had an excellent weekend too.  I'll be posting new recipes and cookbook reviews and fun stuff soon!

8 comments:

  1. I agree. Turkey bacon is not bacon.

    You always seem to find really fascinating places to stay through Groupon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a great trip to SA! We'll be there in two months and I can't wait. :)

    It's amazing how flat they can squish your boobs during a mammo. Good on ya for getting it done, and I hope the atypical cells become typical in three months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful time (as always).

    Now we need to plan our next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic getaway!!! I know what you mean about the mammo. And I never understand why I crave pancakes and armenian flatbread right afterward! :) I have TWO friends who got pap callbacks, and both turned into absolutely NOTHING of concern. I'm wishing the same for you Kelly!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH GOODNESS **MY** heart sank at the atypical too.
    glad it is nothing too too fretworthy.

    xo

    Miz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at all that hot shit!! Love it! I am sure its nothing - not to worry, just go back in three months and I am sure you'll be fine.

    Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had a mamogram since my breast reduction. I am not looking forward to it. It's easier when they are bigger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap! That scorpion is scary!

    I've been to Texas 3 times in the last year and still haven't been to San Antonio. Hopefully next time! I hear it's a cool place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)