Friday, October 26, 2012

Who/What is a Runner?

My last post I said I'm not really a runner and I'm not a walker either but didn't know exactly what I was. I admit that I overthink things but that's just how I operate. All of the runner talk made me start overanalyzing thinking about what makes someone a runner?

Is the definition of "runner" subjective or objective? If I'm not a runner then who is a runner?

The definition I found online goes like this:
run-ner: noun 1. A person who runs, esp. in a specified way: "a fast runner".
2. A person who runs competitively as a sport or hobby: "a marathon runner"

According to that definition, I am a runner because I run as a hobby. Usually in races.

But according to Pearl Izumi I am most definitely not a runner. (Follow link to see a rather pompous definition of a runner.)

But according to John Bingham (the Penguin) I am a runner: "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."


And: "I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. I am a runner because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not."

I'd like to know what you think makes someone a runner.

Is it the frequency of running? Is it the pace? Is it a race entry? Is it the distance? Is it running without walking at all? Is it the shoes? Is it being able to run a specific distance without stopping?

I'm not a huge fan of labels because along with a label comes everything attached to that label. All of the baggage.

One of my favorite astrophysicists, Neil deGrasse Tyson, put it this way regarding labels:  "The moment when someone attaches to a philosophy or a movement, then they assign all the baggage and all the rest of the philosophy that goes with it to you, and when you want to have a conversation they will assert that they already know everything important there is to know about you because of that association. ......  I don’t have the time, the interest, the energy to do any of that."

So while I really don't care if I carry the label of runner or not, I'd love to know what others think makes someone a runner just because these kinds of things interest me.

I'll be the first to tell you that I have not trained like a runner should these past few months. BUT it hasn't kept me from going out there and enjoying each and every race. I'm not first but I'm not last and I have loved it. I've loved it so much that I have the whole family doing a race together on my 22nd Anniversary tomorrow.
-----------------------------------------

In other news, all of the running discussion gave me the itch to go for a run on Wednesday. :)
 It was an easy 4.1 miler. I did use walk/run intervals because that's what makes me happy. My running paces were actually pretty decent! At least for me.

Before going for the run, I rode my bike 6.05 miles
Fun picture playing with the solarizing feature on the phone. Coooool.
  Tuesday was a 10.5 mile bike ride. Beautiful day despite my allergies giving me hell.
 Thursday was a busy, busy day so I had to split it into two rides for a total of 12 miles. More fun with the camera.
 ------------------------------
Show and tell time! Meet Sawyer. He adores Rachel.
 He's very playful, cuddly and very loud! They're playing tug with a straw.
 Sawyer looking FABulous in peach this season.

Tomorrow is my 22nd wedding anniversary. Time sure does fly when you're having fun! As a family we're doing an easy 5k and Sunday Chuck and I will run/walk a half marathon. If we can do 10 miles, we can do a half marathon. This will be our second one this year!

**Please leave a comment and let me know how you define a runner. I'm curious.
Speed? Frequency? Mileage? etc

Have a GREAT weekend.

21 comments:

  1. I think if you run, you are a runner. There is no specific cut off speed to be considered a runner. some people run faster than others. That doesn't make them better or any more of a runner than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, struggle with calling myself a runner. But the group I run with (Moms Run This Town) are very encouraging and keep reminding me that it doesn't matter how fast or how far, what matters is that I am out there. Whether I'm just running or doing run/walk intervals, I am a runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that you have a running club!! Sounds like you're definitely a runner to me. :)

      Delete
  3. I wonder if you're questioning yourself because you haven't trained for races like you did in the past. You're more like a weekend warrior, in that you do the event without the prep work. But hey, if you're having fun with it, then skip the labels and enjoy!

    Happy Anniversary - 22 years, woohoo! Fun that you are doing something as a family for it; the family that came about because you and Chuck got married. Sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. It's certainly not the wisest way to do things! LOL I was just cruious how folks define runners.

      Thank you!! We usually do something for just the two of us on our anniversary but I'm starting to realize the kids are growing up WAY too fast and I want to be with them. And we have such a good time doing the races together.

      Delete
  4. I never thought I would enjoy running but I do! My longest distance is around 8 miles but I try to run 3-4 times a week if the weather is great.

    Great job with your run. The huge smile on your face reminds me why I run - simply because I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! 8 miles is a very respectable distance.

      Delete
  5. What the What?!!!!! Of COURSE you are a RUNNER!!!

    Wow, the Pearl Izumi stuff is a bunch of TEXAS STATE FAIR CORN DOGS! (I'm sorry to be so strong there, but I really HATE Texas State Fair Corn Dogs). I've never even heard of them (her?,it?) so there you go.

    P.S. Love your blog, though I'm usually just a sneaky peeper. I'm a Happy Texan, myself, and also the self-proclaimed Running Housewife QUEEN of Mckinney, TX. So you can be sure I know what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Love your sense of humor. How does one hate a corn dog?! Must be some nasty corn dogs. ;)

      Nice to meet a fellow happy Texan who's also a running housewife!

      Delete
  6. You are absolutely a runner!!! And I "awww'd" at Sawyer. He DOES look most jaunty in peach!!! BIG Happy 22nd to you and Chuck. Cheers to many more years!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is he pretty but he likes to snuggle. :)
      Thank you for the sweet anniversary wishes.

      Delete
  7. Had to think about this one and the truth is 'I wish I was a runner' but I'm just not one of them, I don't look like them or carry those fancy water bottles around the waist..

    HS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're a runner. You just need to get back out there and stop worrying about all the gadgets and whatnot. Just Do It, as my brand Nike says. :)

      By the way, I know how much you love those fuel belts so I'll give you one. Now you're set. You're welcome! No need to thank me.

      Delete
    2. I don't care for the bottles too much BUT I could use a Garmin?

      HS

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary!! Hope you have fun. If you are not sitting on the sidelines or on the couch - you are a runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you.

      Ha! Think I need to get off the sidelines more. Or at least show up for practice! Lol

      Delete
  9. If you run... you are a runner :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely it can't be that simple! ;) Joking. I like that. Nice and straightforward.

      Delete
  10. Hello...Slogger, jogger, runner, run/walker, whatever you want to call it...but my race fees, my bibs, my medals, my tech t-shirts, my bright neon sneakers, my oversized GPS watch, heck even my iPod playlist all say I'm a runner. Oh yeah, runs in the rain, runs in the rain and cold, runs at way to early in the morning, falling while running, and 2 minor injuries plus tight IT-Bands all account for being a hardheaded runner...but a runner just the same. I've finally come to grips with saying I am one and getting very close to saying that I actually like it!

    I saw a quote the other day that read something like: whether you run 1 min or 1 mile, you're still a runner. That's how I feel.

    Happy Texas Runner over here too representing Black Girls Run-Houston and Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)