Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Camping, Turkey Day and Zombies

What a great week that was! It sure went by fast but it always does when you're having fun.

Let's see....the Saturday before Thanksgiving we went to Beaumont and I got to hang out with my bff from high school Wendy and her hubby. Lots of fun. Why do I always forget to take pictures?!

The next morning Chuck had a shooting match in Beaumont and came in second. Congrats.

Came home that day and passed out. The next day (Sunday) I made my lists, ran errands and packed for a 4 day camping trip to Stephen F. Austin State Park. Our truck is having transmission issues so we couldn't bring the travel trailer. Sadness. So we stayed in a screened shelter with concrete floors.
 We packed everything in my Ford Flex! It was like a Tetris game. Chuck did a great job packing it all in. We even brought our mini fridge. Easier to just keep things cold in it instead of bringing a cooler and constantly changing the ice.

There was nature watching at the Brazos River.
 There were woolly bear caterpillars!
 There was daily bike riding on trails until our rears were sore.
 Cluck Gable's reaction to the bike ride.
 During the day there was football and lacrosse games; at night there was laughter and campfires.
 It got pretty cold in the evenings. Somewhere in the low 40s. But we were all snuggled down under blankets on the floor. Concrete is the hardest mattress EVER.

At night the owl would hoot and you could hear raccoons and other critters outside. It was really nice. But as soon as the sun came up the birds would wake you up. The early sunrise and sunset changed up our sleeping patterns during that week. We were in bed by 9 and up by 7.

It was a much needed camping trip and I don't think anyone was quite ready to leave.

We got home Wednesday and the very next day we drove to my mom and dad's place. There was a 150 car pile up (or something around that number....never got an exact count) so we had to take a longer alternate route to get there.

I made my sweet potato casserole and bbq green beans. Oh dear, it's just sinfully good!

Mom always makes way too much food. This is just some of it. There are 2 hams, 2 turkeys, gumbo, smoked brisket, dressing, deviled eggs, enchiladas....just a ton of food. This isn't even all of it! My mom, dad, my family, Rachel's boyfriend, and my brother, his wife and his two kids were there.
 After we ate until we hated ourselves, we rolled into bed.

Friday I got up and played with the chickens.....
 ....then off for some geocaching and hiking. We stopped at Village Creek State Park which is around the block from where I grew up. Then we headed to the coast for Sea Rim State Park and walked the boardwalk where we saw lots of blue crab. Suddenly I had a craving for stuffed crab.
 Drove home Friday and passed out again. Lots of travelling.

Saturday morning was pretty chilly and breezy but Chuck has a zombie shooting match.
 The range was pretty packed. Here are a few of the cars. My Dash is parked beside the red truck. :)
 Chuck was the safety officer for his squad. He tells them how to shoot each of the 8 stages and watches for any safety or rule violations. Plus, as an SO, he gets to shoot for free.
We were at the range for 7 hours. Yeah. But in the end Chuck won the entire match. Congratulations.

Sunday we didn't do much. Visited Chuck's parents. We needed that day to relax and catch up.

Now that all of that is over, it's time to get myself back on low carb/paleo. Chuck has actually been asking me to cook low carb because he feels so much better.

My jeans are a bit tighter from all of the fun. Time to get serious!

Hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving!

9 comments:

  1. Man!
    What a busy week that was.
    I'm looking forward to the next vacation! Maybe we'll go to the Hill Country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful holiday break! I love the photos.

    I've never been camping. I've gone on school trips where we "camped" but it was definitely not roughing it. It seems fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cluck Gable is going to be jealous of you with that other chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are insane! I'd be sleeping for a week after doing half of that...glad you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a wonderful week. So fun to see Cluck Gable was along for the ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! what a beautiful Thanksgiving spread! I haven't been real camping (tent, sleeping bags) in YEARS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Chuck! I am glad you guys had a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great time you had! I haven't been camping since I was in college and that was in a pup tent. Not fun. I think I could do a small cabin like that - maybe . . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)