Monday, December 17, 2012

Happiness and Sadness

I am happy to report that the entire household is well! Finally. That was a tough one. Hope you all are doing ok because there was/is a nasty bug going around.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the horrible shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut. Such a senseless tragedy. My heart hurt for those kids, teachers, parents....everyone involved. I'll never understand the evil that some people are capable of doing.

Chuck and I were talking about it: what could have been done to prevent it, what could be done in the future, what the parents must be going through, what can we possibly do, and why this is more devastating than some other tragedies. There were no easy answers. I've read political statements and religious statements. None seem to offer a viable solution in my eyes. I won't armchair quarterback this one today, but I do have my own ideas. Believe it or not, I don't think guns are the first answer even though I live in a well armed house. 

There was a certain picture of the kids being led out holding hands with their eyes closed. I front of one crying girl was a little boy wearing glasses. Somehow he reminded me of my little Charlie and that made it hurt all the more. Of course the kids received many hugs this weekend. I'm so happy that mine are safe but am deeply saddened for the loss of the others. The heroic efforts of teachers to save their students is nothing short of wondrous. 

There is a blog post made by a mother of a son with severe mental issues. This kid sounds like a ticking time bomb and my heart goes out to her. It's a very thought provoking read in light of everything that has happened.

While all of this tragedy was consuming our lives this weekend, there was also much happiness and celebration. My sweet twelve year old son Charlie performed at his first piano recital.

Rachel, Chuck, Chuck's parents, cousin Dena, and I were all there to support him and cheer for him. Watching him play was a little emotional for me. Though I tried to put it out of my head, I couldn't help but think of all the little kids who would never be getting the chance do this and the parents who will never quite get over this whole ordeal. But it made me appreciate my little ones, who aren't so little anymore.

Charlie taught himself Moonlight Sonata by watching a Youtube video. He then started taking piano lessons and his teacher helped him polish the song and is teaching him how to read music.

Here is a little video I made of Charlie's performance. I couldn't be more proud!

Afterwards we went out for a celebratory dinner with family then Charlie spent the night with his grandparents and got spoiled rotten.

In other news, it's a low carb week for me. I'll start posting pics of food again. My family makes fun of me for taking pictures of my food. I try to tell them people really do care what I eat but somehow they don't believe me. Haha!

Life is precious and fleeting. Hug someone you love today and make sure he/she knows how you feel.

5 comments:

  1. A very emotional weekend indeed.
    I am so proud of that (not so) little kid!
    What an amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very emotional. Thank you for always being comforting and supportive of me and the kids. I don't think people know what a nice person you are. :)

      I'm very proud of our talented kids too.

      Delete
  2. Awww! Thank you for sharing the video. You have two amazing, talented children!!! Have a good Monday Kelly. Hugs to all from up here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roz! I'm a proud momma today.
      Hugs right back at ya! :)

      Delete
  3. WOW.
    you have indeed raised two amazing kids.
    great work, mama.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)