Friday, January 25, 2013

Changes Abound

So many changes seem to be happening all at once. It's enough to make a girl's head spin when I think about it.

I've been doing well with the changes in the way I eat. That's a pretty big deal because it changes my menus and grocery list. Cooking the meals has been a little more work for me but it's been a lot better on the pocketbook. Sure it takes planning and I get angry at some of the food commercials, but I feel better eating at home.

I'm staying focused on losing weight. I know we're still early into 2013 but I really, really want to stick to this. I know I can do this because I want it badly.

I'm trying to save some money which means not doing some of the fun things we were doing at this time last year. I have some big expenses like getting the truck fixed so those will be taking priority.

I've started adding in some exercise into the mix now that I have the eats going in the right direction. Wednesday I biked 5 miles. That's not a lot of miles but my derriere is sore and getting used to the seat again. Ouch!

Thursday I was going to go for a bike ride but I got on and quickly found out the rear brakes weren't working. Hmmmm......somebody been messing with my brakes and trying to make it look like an accident? I put the bike up and went for a 3.18 mile walk instead.

Since my Garmin is dead (may he rest in peace) I downloaded an app called Endomondo. Easy. Free. Uses my cell phone gps.  Guess what. It lies! It said I was walking 11 minute miles and I was finished in faster time than I can run a 5k! And I'm pretty sure that wasn't 3 miles!

Sent Chuck a text about it when I got home. Our little conversation:
 Mr. Endomondo and I are not working out. I want my Garmin back. I miss him terribly.

The biggest change in my life is that my baby girl is graduating in 4 months. I just can't believe it. It snuck up on me. In case you didn't know, we have homeschooled her the entire time. There are some positives and some negatives but I wouldn't have changed that time we've had together for anything. I'm so proud of her. She has learned more than I did when I was in school and has made me so proud.

Thinking about my little girl growing up is kind of tough on me. I'm just not ready for this. But Rachel is an independent girl and I know she'll do just fine. She excels at everything she's done. But the thought of her graduating and moving away......I don't want to talk about it. She'll always be my little girl even though she's taller than me. :)

Thursday night we had a parent/senior graduation meeting. Even though she was homeschooled, we have been part of a support group and many of her friends are graduating too. There will be a ceremony, caps and gowns, diplomas, slide shows of pictures through the years and a little speech by the parents.  Going to be a tough yet proud moment for us.
On the way to the meeting I did get to see a beautiful sunset! And traffic.

Finally got home and had made some mayo for dinner. It's really easy to make! I use my blender and it's done in just a couple of minutes. No weird ingredients like the stuff in the jar.
 Dinner was my easy Dijon Chicken and veggies. Even though it only has 4 ingredients the whole family loves it.
Dijon Chicken (low carb)
4 chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

Place chicken breasts in greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with a little salt. Mix Dijon mustard and mayo. Spread on chicken. Top with cheese. Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 400* for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.

So lots of changes going on in life. Food, exercise, priorities, graduation. Oh, and she wants a job. More changes. I guess the best thing for me to do is just roll with it and take life as it comes. I'm not always good at that. Sometimes I fight it. But these changes are all for the best and part of life.

Today Chuck will be getting the results from his MRI for his neck. I'll report back Monday on that. Until then, wishing you a very happy weekend!! Smile and find your happy place. :)

6 comments:

  1. I want to get a Garmin. Right now I'm using an app called Map My Ride, and it seems pretty accurate. How do you make your mayo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the Map My Fitness Ap? It is free and works really great. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, you scheduled your post! Nice organizational skills!!! :)

    What's wrong with your Garmin? Did the battery die? I hate to hear that - the 305's are supposed to be workhorses and last forever.

    Change is good. But that doesn't mean you can't feel wistful along the way. What kind of job does Rachel want? Is she still looking to do baking/cake decorating?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, its crazy that our kids get older - what the hell?! Does she want to go away to college??

    Don't worry, with skype, texting and facebook, you are never far from your kids no matter where they end up living!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the homeschooled kids get to go through the graduation ritual. Its such an important milestone. Best wishes to Chuck, hope the test results are nothing but positive. Have a great weekend Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh sorry about your Garmin. You know it might be cheaper to find a used one on Ebay than fix the one you have.

    So, has Rachel decided to go on to college? What an exciting time in her life (as hard as it is on you!).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)