Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 3: Paleo Chicken Tortilla Soup

Day 3 started out with me still feeling pretty low but as the day progressed so did my attitude. By the end of the day I was feeling pretty happy and not at all angry with food or sad. Ugh, I still don't understand why it can affect mood like that.

If you want to read an interesting story about how gluten affected the mood of a child, I highly recommend this post. It's pretty impressive. Not saying everyone needs to go gluten free but it's definitely worth considering.

I can tell you my own experience when cutting out grains was that I felt overall happy all the time. I didn't have anxiety and slept like a rock at night. My problem is I have a love affair with soft pretzels, pizza, and homemade breads. Moderation is tough in those areas.

Ok, so in 3 days I've lost 2.4 pounds. Yes, it's probably water weight. No I don't care right now. Just happy to see that drop. I'm ready for the first 10 pounds to drop off because that's when I notice a difference in how my clothes fit.

I'm doing the Whole30 (I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it by now) but I'm more on the low carb side. I do have some sweet potatoes but limit my fruits. I don't think everyone needs/has to do it but I do because of insulin resistance. It just works for me.

Food is not evil. Let me just say that. Carbs are not evil. It's food so it has no inherent moral values. It's merely a combination of chemicals that we stick in our bodies. I limit my carbs for my own health. I plan on having a few more carbs on tough workout days such as training for half marathons and such.

Breakfast was quick and easy. Two boiled eggs with a tiny dash of hot sauce.
 For lunch I made a huge salad of romaine lettuce, a few baby carrots, celery, cucumber, boiled egg and chicken topped with a peach vinaigrette. The peach comes from a peach balsamic vinegar I bought at a farmer's market and it's sooooo good!
 Dinner: OMG, awesome paleo chicken tortilla soup!! This stuff kicks butt. Chuck had two big bowls and I had a big bowl. It's so good! For you folks that are eating dairy, add some cheese and sour cream. Yum! Definitely something to make again.
You want to try this. The recipe is HERE at Three Diets One Dinner blog. GREAT recipes!!

Day 3 ended on a happy note playing Words with Friends, watching videos on molecular gastronomy (must get sous vide!!!!) and Rachel having a sleepover. I stayed up too late so I was starting to get hungry before I went to sleep but just had a cup of hot herbal apple cinnamon tea instead and it made the tummy happy.
As far as feelings go, it started out pretty low but ended happy. Maybe I'm getting over whatever it was. I still had a bit of a headache and some mental fog but definitely improving.

Have yourself a GREAT weekend. I'm heading to a hockey game tonight but won't be indulging in my traditional beer and soft pretzel. Ah, the temptation! :)

Be sure to check out Ditch the Wheat's new cookbook. I stalk her blog and love it so much. The food, the photography, everything!

Happy weekend to you all!



7 comments:

  1. The tortilla soup looks AMAZING! I was lucky to have pulled pork w/ a dash of BBQ sauce. yumm! Congrats on the weight loss so far! I've lost I couple pounds too since New Years- and ya I think it's mostly water water from the ridiculous holiday eating but that's fine by me! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup does look good, Kelly I'm so proud of you for doing the whole 30 again. I know you can do it and in a few days you will be very happy.

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup looks awesome! I'm going to make it soon. Did you go all out paleo and use ghee or coconut oil? Is it hard to find?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I'd say we're pretty close to all out paleo. We'll see how it goes. I have bought ghee online before until I found it at an Indian grocer in town. There are several places online that teach you how to make it yourself though. Coconut oil isn't hard to find at all. My favorite is Nutiva and I get it at Vitamin Shoppe but I can even find coconut oil at Kroger. The Lou Anne brand is more processed but can be found in the regular oil section. The less refined ones can be found in the "natural foods" section.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked my soup! It is our favorite!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)