Monday, January 28, 2013

Doctors=stress=eating

Friday morning I was up bright and early to head to the other side of town to get the MRI results with Chuck. It was pretty much as we expected: bulging disc at C7, the lowest vertebra in the neck.

Chuck has already had two surgeries on his neck. The last one had them putting in a titanium plate between C4-C6. Now the disc below is collapsing and it's pressing on his nerve. He has been in so much pain that it hurts to turn his head and he can't sleep and even his fingers go numb.

The doctor we saw this time is for pain management. He would not do a discectomy but just try to help manage the pain until surgery is the only option. We were a little surprised when he asked if Chuck would like to do a steroid injection that day. Of course, we said yes.

We rush home, get ready, then are back at another place by 1pm. They get Chuck back there and he's done with anesthesia and procedure and recovering by 2:15. It was that fast. They sedated him and went in through the side of the neck to inject the steroid. And yes, I did ask for permission before I posted this picture. Haha!
 The anesthesia wore off pretty fast and Chuck said his neck was already feeling better. He took a nap and by that evening he was wanting to go out. The kids didn't want to go so it was just the two of us. This would be our splurge night!!

Start off with a couple of Mexican Hurricanes. Cheers.
 I ate half of my burger on sweet sourdough bun. It was so good. Crazy good.
 Totally worth the splurge. Yeah, my heart was pounding a bit but my tummy was happy.

The next morning we are up early again because Chuck has a shooting match. I didn't think it was a good idea to go shoot the morning after having the injection done but the nurse said he could resume normal activity. Somehow I don't think this counts as "normal."

Was a foggy morning and the sun rising through the fog was pretty and kind of surreal.

 We arrive at the range and Chuck has volunteered to be a Safety Officer and lead a squad through each stage. That means he will be busy the whole time taking each person in his squad through each stage. That also means that I will be sitting by myself and watching from 8am until 2pm. I enjoy watching him shoot but not-so-much the time between that.
 Here is one of the stages he shot. He used a gun that he doesn't usually shoot so he didn't do quite as good as he usually does. He was disappointed but he still placed third in his division.
 It was really a beautiful day and I enjoyed being outdoors. I got to see some red tail hawks and butterflies. Played on Pinterest. Found a recipe for a drink on Pinterest called Sex in the Driveway. What a name! On the way home we picked up the ingredients for it. Wow!!!! This stuff is awesome! Even Cluck Gable was amazed.
Sex in the Driveway
1 oz peach schnapps
1 oz blue curacao
2 oz vodka
Fill rest of the glass with Sprite. Enjoy.

Let me share something: I've been stressed to the max lately. I've been holding it together with food and stuff but this weekend I was terrible. I had like three splurge meals. And I didn't even care at the time. So I'm expecting a terrible weigh in.

I'm stressed because of graduation, parties coming up, money that isn't growing on trees, getting a windshield replaced, getting a truck repaired, tags, inspections, and the list goes on and on. I'm also not taking it well that Rachel will be graduating and getting a job. Will she still want to go on trips with us? Will she still want to go camping? The family unit is changing. I'm not thrilled with it all.

So there may have been some stress eating this weekend. But I've pulled myself together and just taking things as they come. Chuck has been good about talking me off the ledge. It all seems a bit much sometimes. That doesn't give me an excuse to neglect my health but it is an explanation. I feel like crap when I eat bad so it's back to my low carbish and sometimes paleo-ish way of living.

The stress will be gone soon but the pounds from bad choices could still be there. Not something I want.

That's my weekend in a nutshell.This week I hope to go on a hike with the kids and get some house cleaning done and get my mind on other things other than food or changes.

What do you do to relieve stress? I like to head to the woods for a hike.

4 comments:

  1. Poor Chuck - I hope that injection brings him pain relief for a long time!

    I get you on the money stress - we are cash only, so when stupid things come up (ugh, car repairs), it hurts. And as far as the family unit changing, you know what? Your kids like you guys. They'll want to continue to go camping and do things with you. You just watch. :)

    So...lots of walks in the woods are in store this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...hope Chuck continues to feel better. And hope you feel better soon too Kelly. May life calm down VERY VERY quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hugs hugs hugs
    I SO SO SO GET THE MONEY FRAZZLE.
    feeling it here, too.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)