Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Low Carbin' Footprint

Awwwww yeah! Time for resolutions and goals and change and all that other good stuff. New Year's Day is like the ultimate Monday. You always hear people say,  "Starting Monday....etc".

Before I get to all of my stuff, l'd like to share a little of Christmas with you. Santa dropped by to visit.
Those tall gifts are hammocks with stands. Perfect when camping.
 This year Mr and Mrs Claus started the day with mimosas. Merriest Christmas ever!
 Once a year I make this Christmas Morning Quiche for Chuck. He loves this stuff.
 Time for some fun. The kids loved their stocking gifts. Rachel got a leg lamp nightlight.
 Charlie got a magic set along with other goodies.
No comment about his jeans. Those are his "play" jeans. Or maybe I'm just a bad mother. Hmmm.

 Libby really enjoyed the boxes.
 The aftermath. Like an explosion went off.

New Year's eve we stayed in. The weather was nasty and we just didn't feel like going out.

We remembered things we had done and races completed. My loot for 2012.
 This year I really do want to be a fit chick.

I got a wild hair and decided to do Whole30 again. I figured it was time for another reset. Day 1 Chuck makes breakfast for me. Yum!

It was cold and drizzly and I may have had a little hangover so we stayed in bed most the day watching football. For lunch we shared a plate of boiled eggs. Mine have the hot sauce.
 Dinner was Beef Stew. This stuff is so incredibly good. It really doesn't feel like "healthy" food. Just good food! I've been using this recipe for about 5 years. I made a couple of changes to make it paleo/Whole30 friendly.
Beef Stew
2# stew meat, cubed
2 medium onions, diced (or onion flakes or onion powder)
3 stalks celery, sliced
4 medium carrots, sliced (or a couple small bags frozen sliced carrots)
1 cup tomato juice
1/3 cup tapioca (not the pudding...the granules)
2 tbs unsweetened applesauce
1 tbs. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp basil
2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
Combine all but potatoes in Dutch oven. Cover. Bake at 325* for 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Add sweet potatoes and cook 1 more hour. Also works well in crockpot.


As far as resolutions go, I'm just making a few goals.
1. Try/do/eat something new at least once a month
2. Walk/run 3 times a week, strength train twice a week, sprint intervals once a week
3. Complete at least one half marathon this year.
4. Do something kind for another person at least once a week without him/her knowing it was me.
5. Be mindful of my eating. After Whole30 eat low carb/paleo every day except for one "free" meal per week.
6. Clean house for 15 minutes per day
7. Pay off two bills.


Wishing you all a very happy 2013 filled with prosperity, happiness and good health.

Do you have any goals this year?


8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!
    And Happy New Us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you and the family had a good one. My goal this year is to be more or less like the same (or better) than last year. Okay, maybe I should work on that a little...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new Year to you and your gang Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hammocks! What a great idea - Jeff is always wanting one. Remind me next year near Christmas to get that for him, OK?

    Looks like it was a fun holiday for everyone - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the time if I made with this in a crock pot? Would I combine all ingredients at same time or do it separately as stated above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made this in the crockpot too. I combined everything and put it on low. Let it cook for a few hours. About an hour before I wanted it to be r I added the sweet potatoes. Turned out perfectly.

      Delete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)