Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Weigh In Wednesday and a GREAT Crockpot Recipe

Weigh in: down 1.8 pounds    YAY!
Total loss for 2013: 5 pounds

I started a little experiment last week to see how I would do. It's not Whole30, paleo, low carb...anything really but how I think I can do this whole "weight loss" thing long term. If it doesn't work then I'll reevaluate. The method may change but the goal remains the same.

The experiment has me eating...what shall we call it...indulgence meal?.....once a week. That way when the cravings start in or I want to cook up a new recipe I don't have to say, "Not this year. I'm losing weight." I've done total deprivation before and it just wasn't sustainable then I felt guilty for eating a stupid soft pretzel or something. So if I see a new interest on Pinterest (I got mad rhyming skillz, yo) I can tell myself that I can have it during my one indulgence meal. It's been healthy for my sanity so far.

My cheat meal this week was sushi and it was very good! It had been a weekly thing for Chuck and I. The waitress knew us! So it was time to cut back. Sushi and sake bombs was the Thursday routine. With only one indulgence meal per week we'll be quite picky about what we have. Not going to just blow it on McDonald's or such nonsense.

Not only will I not be blowing my free meal on worthless stuff, but I am also mindful of how it makes me feel afterwards. It seems the longer I eat low carb the more sensitive my body becomes to it. For example, if I've been eating low carb for a few months then have a high carb meal, my heart pounds and I feel terrible and can't sleep. So before indulging too much I have that feeling in the back of my mind and I don't want to indulge quite as much. Heck, maybe one day I won't crave a soft pretzel but today is not that day.

I've also allowed myself some dairy which isn't paleo or Whole30 compliant. But I love cheese and sometimes I want some. That's when I'm more of a low carb girl. Last night I cooked up chicken fajitas with caramelized onions, bell peppers, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos and cheese and even wrapped it up in a low carb tortilla.

Like I said, I'm just looking for a way to make this sustainable because I'm in it for the long haul. It's very easy to get off track so I've been posting my weigh ins on Facebook as well for some accountability because no one wants to report a gain, even though it does happen even when you are doing everything you're supposed to do.


How about a new recipe?! This is so good that you could make it for company. It certainly doesn't taste like a bowl of deprivation.

I have a few low carb cookbooks and a few paleo cookbooks but I also like to browse my "regular" cookbooks and tweak recipes to make them fit my lifestyle. I found this recipe in an America's Test Kitchen cookbook and made a few changes. WOW!!!
Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken with Potatoes

2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 medium onions, minced (I used caramelized onions)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
1 tablespoon minced ginger
Salt
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 large sweet potato, cut in 1 inch pieces
4 medium carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
3 tablespoons Minute tapioca
4 pounds chicken (can use chicken thighs though I used boneless chicken breasts)
Black pepper
1 cup frozen peas, OPTIONAL (I did not use them)
2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped fine (I did not use them)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup minced cilantro

1. Heat the oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the curry powder and garam masala and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Stir in the onion, jalapeno, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are lightly browned and softened, 10-12 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits.

2. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, potato, carrots, coconut aminos, and tapioca until combined. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and nestle in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is tender, about 4-5 hours.

3. Let the cooking liquid settle for 5 minutes, then gently tilt the slow cooker and remove as much fat as possible from the surface using a large spoon. Stir in the peas and tomatoes (if using), coconut milk and cilantro. Let stand until the peas and tomatoes are heated through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper before serving.

I served mine over riced cauliflower but you could serve it over zucchini noodles. It would be delicious over rice if that's in your diet.

You have to try it to believe it. LOVE it!

That's it for right now. Just plugging away at weight loss and looking at pictures of cute clothes to keep me motivated. I'll be back Friday to tell you about a special cookbook offer.

Happy, healthy Wednesday to you!

6 comments:

  1. I think your way of looking at this as eating for the long haul, rather than a short-term diet, is going to get where you want to be...and keep you there. Congrats on the loss, and keep it up - you're doing fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still not on board with cilantro. I'm trying to get over it, but I still suspect that it is poison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love curry - yum!

    I like the thinking of the 'treat' meal being worthy. I am like that with my cupcakes. When I am eating my calories up from a long ride, they better be good small bakery cupcakes and not some little Debbie thing. The enjoyment is 10 times better :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. IVE BEEN FIGHTING IT.
    IM buying a crockpot today.
    mine died in the move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe is right up my alley - love it! I too have ditched the deprivation mind set - it always sets myself up for failure. I had fried chicken last night - so what? I had my Green Monster for breakfast and I have healthy meals planned for the rest of the day - winning!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)