Monday, February 11, 2013

Traveling and Change of Tide

This has been one of the busiest weeks I've had in a long time. There were a couple of days when I wasn't sure what day of the week it was. A lot of travel and high emotions.  The trip started out nassty and rainy but we were treated to an incredible sunset along the way.



The funeral was tough on my little guy. He was a pall bearer and he loved his uncle. It was good to see family but the circumstances weren't the best. At the graveside service at Fort Hood, the Patriot Guard were present and they played Taps. Very moving experience to see the soldiers fold the flag and hand it to the widow.

More driving and this time to see my parents and pick up Rachel's dog. I greatly appreciate them watching my critters. Speaking of critters, my mom has a sweet chicken named Buttercup and they bought a diaper for her off ebay so she could come inside to visit. Hahahaha! Have you ever heard of such a thing?! The chicken hates the diaper and promptly gets out of it so she doesn't get to come inside to visit.
Crazy chicken.

I surprised myself with some pretty flowers. Only $2! Not only am I sweet to myself but I'm cheap too! :)
As far as food goes, I've been all over the place this week. When at home, I'm eating pretty good. When on the road, not so much. Did I mention how much I've been on the road this week? Yeah, not a stellar week for me.

I did make these bacon wrapped eggs. You just cook the bacon in the microwave until they're translucent but not crisp, wrap slices around the inside of a muffin tin, break an egg in the middle, bake at 350* for about 15 minutes. Done! Easy and tasty.
Chuck made perfect bacon and eggs one morning too. I swear I don't even remember which morning it was. I hate it when the days are all jumbled like that.
One night (maybe Friday night?) we were home for me to make steaks in the Sous Vide. Gosh, I love that little machine. Steaks ready to go in their water bath.
They stay there for a while then they get a quick searing in the skillet.
Searing seems to produce a little smoke. Ok, a lot of smoke. I may have set off several smoke detectors in the house and had to open windows and set up fans to blow the smoke out. I'm shopping for kitchen torches now. That's ridiculous.

But the steaks came out perfect! An even pink throughout the entire thing and they were so tender. Yum. I had sprinkled them with some homemade Montreal steak seasoning and a pat of butter.
So tender you can cut it with a fork.
Saturday we were at my parents' house and came back Sunday. I had some friends in town from Louisiana so we met up for dinner. I had some chips, salsa, and half a burger. And a couple of drinks. Last night my heart was pounding so hard it kept me awake. I had some nasty anxiety attacks.

At one point I tried to sit up and was so dizzy I felt like I would pass out. It was a bit scary. I'm looking forward to eating my good stuff this week. I think it's time to start trying some new recipes. It's easy to get in a rut.

You'd think I wouldn't need any more warnings: anxiety attacks, relatives dying from complications with diabetes, warnings from my doctor. I'm really not sure why I resist doing what I know I need to do. Maybe I hate having to do it. If it were my own idea I wonder if it would be different. No clue. Oh well. Instead of trying to analyze the reasons why I guess I'll just do it!

Good to be back home, folks. Hope you had a great weekend. And hope all of you who have had to deal with the winter storm are doing ok. I've seen pictures on TV and it's incredible! It's so weird to me that I can be wearing shorts while people up north are shoveling snow and having a terrible storm.

Well, since my ass is beginning to affect the tides, I guess it's time to get back to business and get serious with all this healthy living stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Truly sorry for your loss Kelly. No wonder it's been and up and down week. OK...a diaper for a chicken???? OMG....I thought you were kidding...but when I saw the picture? HA!!! They aren't "Huggies" they're "Cluckies". Hope this week sees a return to calm and normal for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your uncle. :( Big hug to you and your son.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)