Monday, March 11, 2013

Dressing the Part (on a budget)

I don't do a lot of fashion posts here. Heck, I may have done two at the most unless you count running shirts and shoes. So I'm way overdue on this post all about the clothes.

Fashion. Not something that comes to mind when you think about me. My fashion has consisted of oversized tee shirts and ugly pants back in my 250 pound days. Recently my fashion has consisted of race shirts and jeans or shorts and flip flops. That's about the extent of it. Getting dressed up would be wearing a newer race shirt and a pair of earrings. Oooooh, fancy!

I kept saying, "As soon as I lose the weight I'll get myself a new wardrobe." But recently I've started questioning that. Why wait? Why can't I dress the part right now? Aren't we supposed to dress for the job/part/life we want?

So I've been going a little crazy with Pinterest and pinning all kinds of cute outfits that I would want to wear if I was cute and thin. I can't afford some of the outrageous prices that go along with these cute little ensembles so I've taken to recreating them on a budget. Wanna see what I got this weekend?

Here is the original Pinterest picture:
 The basic idea behind the outfit is a pair of olive shorts and a black tee and a long necklace and brown sandals. I already have the shoes and necklace so all I needed was the shorts and shirt.
Shorts at JC Penney for $14 (just click on the picture to take you to the web site):
Black tee shirt from JC Penney for $8:


The next little outfit is one of my favorites. It's casual looking but uses colors that I love and yet dressy enough where I would go out to lunch in it.
The shirt I got at JC Penney for $16:
 The shorts were a little short in the picture so I got them longer. Shorts from JC Penney for $17 (in white..use your imagination):
Cute leopard clutches are crazy expensive. Seemed like every one I found that I liked was $1500 and there is no way in hell I'm paying that for a purse. It better be made out of a rare leopard for that much money. But I did find this adorable thing at Midnight Velvet for $34.99:
I haven't worn a belt in soooo long but I love the outfit with it so I ordered one. Belt from JC Penney for $18:

Now just need to get some leopard flats.

The third outfit I already own the basics in my closets. I have the exact same jacket and a little blue sweater that's very similar to the one in the picture. I just need a new pair of jeans and a huge belt..

Speaking of jeans, did you know what a difference a pair of jeans can make for your booty? You have got to check out this blog post. It was quite eye opening. After seeing this I took Rachel to get a pair of the good jeans and they really do make a huge difference! Seriously. Go check out this blog post.


All of this has been ordered and I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much that they will look fabulous but it'll be nice to dress better. I made a promise that I would put more effort into the way I present myself: clothes nice, makeup on, shoulders back, hair styled, and smile on. I am weaning myself off race shirts slowly but surely.

Believe it or not, I used to dress nicely! When the weight came on, the nice clothes went away. It's time to start working on this part of my life and I think it will give me incentive to keep the weight going in the right direction.

I'll be trying to recreate more outfits in the near future and start including some dressier items. Now if my weight will suddenly, magically disappear overnight. :)

15 comments:

  1. PLEASE COME TAKE ME SHOPPING.
    I have no stylesense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either, Carla. We would on.y come home with tons of skull stuff. :) And I would be just fine with that.

      Delete
  2. I recently tucked in a shirt and wore a belt for the first time in about 15 years. It was a great feeling!! I really like your sense of style.I am ready for shorts weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome!! I haven't worn a belt in so long. I'm probably not ready for it but I'm tired of putting it off.
      Style? Lol That made me giggle. I have a terrible sense of style. I used to have it but I lost it somewhere. I rely on pictures of other people with style to help me out. Lol

      Come on, shorts weather! Can't wait for summer to get here so I can complain about how hot it is. :D

      Delete
  3. Guilty here too of 'i'll get a new wardrobe when I get to that magical number on the scale." and that magical number seems further and further away. I put more $ into workout clothes/shoes than anything else. ZERO FASHION SENSE HERE! Interesting idea to use pinterest to sort of see what really appeals to you/what you'd wear. Good one! :D I just keep telling myself there's no stores out there that make anything that fits right, that I like, that's for my age...so why bother? sadddddd. saddddd. saddddd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, life is too short for us not to wear nice things right now. I'm so tired of waiting. I think the new clothes will give me incentive to really stick to it too.

      Zero fashion sense here! I'm really relying on Pinterest to help me out. Or maybe I'll get a friend with fashion sense to take me shopping. Lol
      So get yourself something new! No sense in putting it off.

      Delete
  4. Additional comment: WOW! That jeans blog post is phenom. Inspiring! Thanks for sharing that one. Anyone who hasn't read it yet - go read it. now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Everyone really needs to see that blog post!

      I took my daughter to Express to get some of the good jeans (ahem, $90?!!) and they look way better than the other stuff we had gotten her. That's going to be my next purchase: a good pair of jeans.

      Go see the blog post, folks. :)

      Delete
  5. Cute outfits, and you can't beat JC Penney for their prices - the last couple times I shopped there, I literally did double takes when looking at price tags. Really good deals - hope the new clothes work when they arrive, and of course you must do a fashion show for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And yes, their prices are insanely low. Love it.
      I hope they work too, Shelley. Trying not to get my hopes up too high but...oh, who am I kidding? I'm excited and counting on thefitting just like they do in those 120 pound girls in the pictures. Lol

      Fashion show!! Yes! Maybe. We'll see. ;)

      Delete
  6. I have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever. And since Hannah moved out last year, um, there is no one to say "Um, Mom, that doesn't work at all!"

    Love that you are getting new clothes - if I spent just 10 minutes more on myself in the morning, it would make all the difference. But I usually work out at lunch, so I think "why bother?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible with fashion. If I don't have a picture to go by it looks like a 5 year old tried to dress herself. Lol

      Delete
  7. Great outfits!!! So ready to wear shorts again myself. Bring on spring. Have a great day Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love spring!!
      Thank you! Hoping they look decent when they arrive.
      Have a great day yourself! :)

      Delete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)