Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How to Prepare Shirataki Noodles (and Weigh In)

People either like shirataki noodles or hate them. I'll admit that I was not a big fan when I first tried them. The texture is just so different! There's more to chewing them than regular pasta.

But after having macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, chicken noodle soup and Asian noodles, I've decided that they're not too bad. Look, I can't have my pasta and eat it too. Just the way it is. So if I'm going to have my noodly dishes I'm going to be happy with what I have.

Sure, I could use spaghetti squash (pretty darn tasty) or zucchini noodles (a little watery but not bad) but I think I prefer my shirataki noodles. They've grown on me.

I'm warning you now: the texture is not like pasta and they smell like fish when you open the bag. They are chewier.

Still want to give them a try? Ok, this is the very best way to prepare these.

And may I remind you that these guys are zero calorie and zero carb? Starting to look a little better aren't they?!

 I ordered these online because the ones you typically find in the stores are made with soy. I really don't want a lot of soy in my life. You can also get various shapes (even rice shaped!) from Miracle Noodles. Netrition has a good price and flat rate $4.95 shipping.

Ok, let's get to cooking up these noodles!

Step 1: put them in a colander, don't gag at the fish smell, and rinse the hell out of them.
 Step 2: put them in a microwaveable bowl, nuke them for 2 minutes. This will bring out more water. See it at the bottom of the photo? So put those noodles back in the colander and drain again. No rinsing; just draining.
 Step 3: put them back in the bowl and nuke for another 2 minutes. See? Now they're hot and dry.
 Step 4: add your sauce. Here I have my spaghetti sauce. You could add pesto or alfredo sauce. Whatever you want. Now it's time to eat.
 I've also used them to make chicken noodle soup. I like to use scissors to cut the longer strands before adding a sauce or adding to soup.
 If you don't care about soy, I have found shirataki noodles at Whole Foods and Kroger.

Another nice little find were these sugar free coffee sweeteners that use sucralose. They were only $1 each at Dollar Tree. Woot! Savings. I found vanilla and caramel flavor. Nice when you want to make a Starbuck's style latte.
 One of my favorite ways to have coffee lately has been to put a cup in the blender with 2 tbs. cream, 1 tbs coconut oil and some sweetener. Blend and drink. Tasty and satisfying.


I've been trying all kinds of new things lately. Oysters. Garlic stuffed olives. And now frying cheese!

I bought some queso panela but you could use queso fresco. Both are Mexican style cheeses. I sliced mine in 1/2" thick slices then sliced those slices in half.
 Heat a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat and add cheese slices. You don't want them touching. Let them cook about a minute or so on one side then flip.
 I served them with some homemade tomato sauce. It was the flavor of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. LOVED it!!! Also had a salad on the side.
 The easiest and tastiest tomato soup I've made uses just a handful of ingredients.
Put 1 can of tomatoes and 1 can of stewed tomatoes in blender. Blend. Put in pot and add 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp basil and salt to taste. Heat for about 15 minutes or so. Enjoy!

It's not a fashion Friday but here are some of the new goodies. I love the necklace and earrings with a lace blouse.
 Cruising around in this beautiful weather. Still haven't adjusted to wearing aviator sunglasses.
Hope to have some more fun things to share Friday. My expectation of what size I want to be (it looked so good on the models in the pictures who must be size -6) and the reality of what size I am have led to some disappointment. But I look at how far I've come and know that they will look great eventually. Fortunately I have people around me who like me just as I am.

Necklace/earrings: Charming Charlie
Aviator sunglasses: Charming Charlie
lace blouse: Dress Barn
----------------

Here we go. The weigh in. Last week's weigh in had a sudden woosh on the morning that I weighed in which meant it had a little bounce back up the next day. So I've been fighting that little bounce back.

It seems like every time I have a big whoosh there's a bounce back. Just the scale's way of being cruel.

Last Wednesday weight: 195.8 (a 3.4 pound drop from the day before!!)

Today's weigh in: 195.3
A whopping half pound down. Ugh. Wanted more but I can't be too unhappy considering the huge whoosh last week.


I've been measuring my ketones daily. What are ketones? The very non-technical definition is that they are what your body produces when it is using fat for energy. So when you have ketones in your blood, it's a sign that your body is burning up fat instead of relying on glucose. I have a lot of fat, my freinds.

The happy zone for ketosis is between 0.5-3 millimolar. I use blood tests instead of urinse strips because it's more accurate although more expensive.

3/13 .9
3/14 2.4
3/15 1.9
3/16 1.9
3/17 2.4
3/18 3.2
3/19 4.2
3/20 3.8

I can also report that alcohol has not done anything to my ketone levels as a crazy Sunday demonstrated. That was with tequila. I don't know how beer would do because I avoid it because of the carbs.

I'm still hardly hungry at all. Cravings are nonexistant though smelling fresh baked french bread made my tummy growl.

That's all to report right now. Enjoy the rest of your week and I'll see ya Friday. :)

6 comments:

  1. You lost me at "fish smell" - I couldn't do it, even if rinsing got rid of it.

    Love the pop of orange with the white top! And yeah, I hear ya on clothes looking different on me than they do on the models...but keep trying, there's lots of cute things out there that will fit you and look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving getting new clothes. I feel like my old self again. It's been great!!

      Lol The fishy smell from the packet is a turn off. I admit it. But I love my noodles. I'm a carb addict in case you didn't know. ;)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I don't know about the fish smell, either. I really don't miss noodles too much, though. I miss sugar :( I think I was probably addicted. It is WRONG how much I daydream about dark chocolate. This is my third week on lchf, and I'm curious to see if I'll have any weight loss. I weigh on Mondays...this past Monday I was +2, but I didn't let it throw me. I, too, don't have much hunger. All that fat is VERY satisfying. When I took stock of all I had eaten today, I still can't believe this is supposed to be healthy. I've been brainwashed by the government and I can't shake it! P.S. - I think you look great in your aviators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a piece of dark chocolate almost very night. I get the 90% dark Lindt and it hasn't affected my blood sugar, ketones or weight at all.

      You can also make fat bombs for extra fat and a little sweet.

      If the weight isn't coming off, it may require a little tweaking with the protein amounts. Just something to consider. :)

      Delete
    2. And thank you for the compliment!! I'm starting to like the glasses too. :)

      Delete
  3. Charming Charlie is great! Nice loss too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)