Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Weigh In Wednesday

Last Wednesday: 195.3
Today: 192.9

Down 2.4 pounds this week!

Very happy about that!!! I'm still waiting to wake up and be 140 pounds. Ha!

My weight was exactly the same for three days then there was a little woosh. The scale really can be maddening sometimes. I keep saying I'm going to break up with it but we're so close. Sometimes it can say the nicest things. But do I really need it in my life? Hmmmmm
-----------------------------

Took Rachel to the driver's license place to get her test scheduled. Yeah, we waited longer than most people but my little girl is going to be driving in Houston and I want to make sure she's ready. I can't replace her.

Anyway, there was a line out the door so we waited and waited. The clerks ask the adults if they have diabetes and if they take insulin and for how long. I was shocked at how many people said they have diabetes! I didn't realize it was quite so prevalent.

I've been taking my blood sugar in the morning and my fasting levels have been between 77 and 87 for the most part. Usually low 80s. I think that's pretty good. I'm looking forward to going back to my doctor and going over the blood tests (that I was supposed to take in August but never did). Also have to go back because of an abnormal pap smear. Yay. Was supposed to do that in December. Oops. I forgot. Bad bad.
-----------------------------

You know what puts me in a good mood? Well, there are several things but I'll share one with you:
Cooking while listening to upbeat music and having a glass of wine.

I'm just one cheerful chick when I have all that going on.
 And for dinner: tuna steaks with an oriental sauce and steamed broccoli with some more of the oriental sauce.
You can put that sauce on just about anything! It's sooooo good. You could put it on chicken or veggies....probably pork or riced cauliflower. It's easy to make too. Give it a try. :)

The original recipe is from Nourishing Traditions but I change a couple of things.

2 pounds tuna steak, about 1 inch thick
2 Tbs olive oil
sea salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic; peeled
1/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/4 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you prefer)
1 drop liquid sucralose (or 1 Tbs honey)
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch green onions, chopped
3 Tbs sesame seeds, toasted in oven (I just used non toasted)

Brush steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through on a barbecue or under a broiler. Transfer to heated platter and keep warm until ready to serve. Meanwhile, place garlic, ginger, mustard, optional fish sauce and soy sauce in food processor and process until blended. Add honey and vinegar and process again. With motor running, add the sesame and olive oils gradually so that sauce emulsifies and thickens.

Place tuna servings on warmed plates. Spoon sauce over and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.

Happy Hump Day to ya!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a simple cooker. I don't think I could manage anything like you made but it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your steady losses!!! :D I'm doing the keto living thing right now too. just started on Monday. Today was the first day I realized it was past lunch time and it never occurred to me - no hunger, nothing. WOW! IS THAT A SHOCKER or what?! Kinda nice. Let's hope it continues. Please tell me what coconut aminos are and what they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for no hunger!

      Coconut aminos are a soy alternative that's paleo friendly. I've seen it for sale at Whole Foods and Vitamin Shoppe. Some folks don't care about soy. I sometimes use tamari

      Delete
  3. I love tuna steaks, but my family doesn't. They don't like salmon, either. Come to think of it, they are all rotten, ungrateful turds! No, not really...but they don't like anything off-the-beaten-path of chicken, beef, or pork. More and more, I cook a single serving of something for me and something 'less exotic' for them. Wimps.

    Also, I have a boy who will get his license in August. Yes, it scares me, but most of all, it makes me feel OLD.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)