Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Run for the Hills!


Today is day two of starting up my insulin resistance and thyroid meds. I thought I'd document this in case any one else goes through something similar.

A few years ago my doctor put me on Metformin. I did not do well and it ended with me hooked up to all kinds of machines at the cardiologist's office. So my doctor decided to start me out slower by crushing up the metformin and having me take small crumbs and progressing to larger crumbs until my body was accustomed to it. The goal being to have me taking whole pills eventually.  That didn't work out either.

So I've tried to battle insulin resistance and low thyroid on my own with diet and exercise. But now my doctor seems even more insistent on getting me on these darn pills. He gave me a good long talk at our last visit and I have promised to give it my all. I will do my best.

Monday night I took my first Glumetza which is a type of metformin as I understand it. The side effects are supposed to be much less than Glucophage (metformin) and I only have to take one pill per day. Sounds good, right?

Monday night I woke up with nausea and did not sleep very well. By Tuesday morning I was feeling pretty off. I do not have the normal side effects associated with metformin. Nope. Instead I feel like I'm in a mental fog, I'm tired, upset stomach, moody, lonely, crying for no reason and pretty much an all around psycho chick. I can not begin to tell you how much I hate that feeling.

My mom reacts poorly to just about all medication. When she tried metformin she did just fine. Not any side effects at all. And she dropped weight very easily. Me? I'm scaring all of the people I love around me. There at least better be some weight loss with this! Honestly, I am not myself. And it bugs me that I can't just control it.

By Tuesday night I was pretty much a wreck. I didn't want to eat but I had a little something and took my second Glumetza pill. I had cried for no reason that day, went full psycho, and wasn't a pleasant person. I didn't even want to be around me! How can I explain to people that it's not me?

Tuesday night I hardly slept at all. My heart was pounding and I just couldn't sleep. I worried about feeling different. I worried about offending people. I woke up several times with nausea.

It's now Wednesday. I'm still dealing with feeling off balance. I don't like it one bit! But I will give this a few days to see if I adjust. Right now it's a pretty rough time for me. The whole thing makes me feel low.

I am sorry for such a downer of a post but I do want to document how I do with this and how I progress. I'm hoping I'll be back to my normal cheerful happy self within a few days. In the meantime, you may want to run for the hills and avoid this psycho chick. Haha

Oh, but the good news is that the thyroid pills don't cause any odd side effects for me. So that's something! Now to get this metformin under control.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. It'll get better soon. I'm sure of it. :)

6 comments:

  1. Before I was on insulin I was on metformin and hated the side effects. I would eat, and then I'd have to go to the bathroom, it was awful!

    Hang in there, and hope it gets better. And vent away, its your blog and you can write whatever you want! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's right - it's your blog, it's your life and you are doing US a favor by sharing what's what. fingers crossed it turns around soon. be kind to yourself as you transition with all of this. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope things get sorted out soon Kelly! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, sorry to hear you are having a rough go of it. I've been on Metformin since 2002 and now a pretty high dosage. I've never experienced the side effects you are having. Mine are similar to Biz's. I have a tummy ache and bathroom problems constantly. Good luck finding the right balance or something else that might work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I've gone through similar medication side effects (for different issues, though) and it's no fun being at the mercy of some chemical your doctor wants you to take. I hope you can find a solution that works for you. It might not only take a new medication, it might take a new doctor! I've been through a few!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sad to read posts like these. As a junior doctor myself I see this type of thing very often. It does break my heart and it makes me want to invent drugs that can make you feel yourself and still make you better. Chin up babe. xx

    Debbie J

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)