Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I Did It!

It's really just a small victory but I did it! I have adjusted to my meds and am now able to take what the doctor prescribed. 

It happened a little faster than I had anticipated and a little bit by accident. I took two pills one morning instead of just the one. Oops! But I survived. I had a couple of days of not feeling too great but it went away. So now I take two thyroid meds and 4 Glumetza (metformin) per day.

As far as weight loss goes, I have no idea. My clothes aren't fitting any better yet but I haven't been weighing.  As I've been working on adjusting to these meds I haven't been eating as much. Even when I am "starving" it only takes a very small amount to fill me up.

I had been suffering from a lot of dizziness. Most of that has subsided as well. So I'm going to give it another week for full adjustment and then start back to exercising. Yay!!!!! Glad to start feeling "normal" again.

Not too much has been appealing when it comes to food. I haven't been trying to stick to low carb or much of anything. My portions have been rather small most the time so I haven't been fighting it. Now that I'm feeling better I'm going to concentrate more on what I eat.

It was another whirlwind weekend. Friday night we took Rachel and her boyfriend's family out to eat at Tookie's in Seabrook. Her choice. You can't have too many birthday celebrations and they have amazing burgers! 
 The burgers were great but I couldn't even eat a third of mine. Seriously, it doesn't take much anymore. I guess that's a good thing?

We got Rachel a tiramisu cake and sang happy birthday.
 Because you can't have too much cake, she also had a Reese's Cup ice cream cake at home. Don't judge.
 Poor Rachel is still adjusting to her meds so she felt terrible after dinner and we headed home. But we were treated to a beautiful sunset.
 Saturday was a lazy day around the house. It's nice to have those from time to time but by Sunday I needed to get out. We went to a friend's house for a birthday party. Then I started suffering from PMS: Pre-Monday Syndrome. I wasn't ready for the day to be over so I got on Yelp and started looking for some places. The kids didn't want to go so it was just Chuck and I headed to Sam's Boat in Seabrook. 
 They have outdoor seating with great views of the bay.
 We were treated to a pretty sunset by the water....
 ...and some great happy hour specials. Little bit of beer, a crab ball or two, and $1 slider.
 After chilling out on the deck we went to the pier to watch a boat being put away for storage. The forklift picks it up right out of the water!
 That's so cool!!! And I am easily entertained.
 After enjoying views like that, Chuck was trying to find a way to move out to the beach. The sound of the waves and the beautiful views are very relaxing.
 Watched a black capped night heron fish for his dinner.
 Goodbye, weekend. 
 We were treated to another beautiful sunset on the way home. You can barely see downtown Houston in the distance on the right.
 Monday I woke up with the blahs. Weekend went by quickly and I wasn't ready to face the week. Was feeling kind of lonely and just overall not a Happy Texan. So I gave Monday the middle finger and decided to extend the weekend. As soon as Chuck got home I had some stuff packed and we all headed to the beach with the top down on Rachel's car.
 There was kit flying. Well, not really. At the beach you just have to hold on to the string and the kite just does its own thing.
 The kids made sandcastles.
 Looked at tiny shells in the sand and dug up clams.
 I waded into the water and watched the fish around me. Until one bit my toes then I was out of there pretty fast! Chuck walked around looking for shells.
 Charlie swam a lot.
 Having fun? I'd say that's a yes!
 Charlie insisted on taking a picture. Oh and we found a frisbee in the water!
 Charlie found a hermit crab so we watched it for a while before returning it to the water.
 Then it was finally time to get cleaned up and head home. Everyone headed to the car but I thought I should go visit the lady's room before getting on the road. I closed the door and the handle came off! I couldn't get out. I started banging on the door and panicked a little. I got my head about me and fixed the door enough so that I could get out. Little excitement.

We passed by the Pleasure Pier and admired all the pretty lights. I could have just sat on the seawall and watched the lights for a while.
So Monday turned in to another day of the weekend. It was nice and has made the week go by faster.

Tuesday I got to have lunch with a good friend and actually had some appetite back! I was able to keep it low carb and had a Greek salad, chicken kabob, and cucumber salad. Yum yum! By evening I wasn't hungry at all so we just had some roast sandwiches on some lower carb bread. I couldn't finish mine but I'm doing better than I was last week.

As I start to feel better and better, I hope to get in the kitchen more and prepare some really good stuff.Of course there will be pictures. :)

Hope you're having a great week so far!!


  1. I love that Rachel's birthday celebrations keep going! And I agree, no such thing as too much cake!

    OMG, I would have freaked out if I got stuck in a bathroom! Glad you got out!

    We should start a petition calling for 3 day weekends, we could both be the first to sign it!

  2. I'm with you! I'm thinking about doing something fun every Monday so it's something to look forward to instead of dreading. ;)

  3. Glad the meds are starting to work for you and you are feeling better!

  4. Yay!! Glad the med tweaking is working. GREAT weekend pictures Kelly, thanks for sharing. And continued happy birthday celebrations to Rachel.

  5. So happy that your adapting to meds and feeling somewhat better. I like the term you coined PMS, because I succumb to it often.

    The first flight I ever took (when I was 18), we had a short stop in one city to pick up additional passengers for the second part of the route. I used the bathroom and the door handle got stuck. The ground crew had to board and take off the handle to get me out. Not fun, but my dad and sister thought it was funny.

    You captured some great sunsets and I can imagine the experiences.

  6. What is it about the ocean and pretty sunsets that are so calming? I love an ocean, a bay, a river, a lake...any body of water at all, and I'm instantly less stressed. Amen to the 3-day weekend idea...Of course, then people would slack off on Thursdays instead of Fridays, huh?


I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)