Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Low Carb and Random Stuff

Well, well, well. Here we are after the holidays and it's time to get serious. Seriously serious. 

Wednesday, July 10, will mark day one of back on the wagon for the whole household. Because if I am going to do this, we're all going to suffer get healthier together.

I bought Rachel and I an Atkins Workbook to track our progress and daily eats. I love this book! It's perfect. It asks you questions about why you're making changes and has daily check lists. There's a place to put a "before" picture and record measurements. It's just a great little book and I highly recommend it if you are struggling to get back on track. You can find it at Amazon.com

Another great resource is the Easy Living Low-Carb Cookbook from Carbsmart. It has tons of great recipes and they're all easy to make. Even better, it's on sale right now!!! There are some new copies that had a few scratches on the covers but it's really nothing as you can see by my copy. You can get it for $7.95 and that includes shipping! Woohoo! Bargain.
Armed with a workbook/journal and a new cookbook, I'm ready to tackle everything.

It's not about the weight. Wow, I can't believe I just said that. But I'm a little tired of worrying about the weight. I think if you eat right and do fun exercises then weight loss will be a side effect. As Jason Seib says in The Paleo Coach, "I am simply making the point that the path to better health leads to a hot body by accident, while the direct route of the purely aesthetic goal often leads to frustration."

In other words, do what's right and you'll be hot as a side effect. I can live with that! Instead of worrying sooo much about the number, concern yourself with the process. Eat better. Move your body.

My favorite way to exercise is to find things that are fun! Hike, paddle, bike, long walk listening to music and things like that. Fun stuff! Even running around playing with my kids. 

With that being said, I will track my weight along with measurements. Measurements are the most important to me because I don't bring a scale into the dressing room when I try on clothes. I'm just worried how I look in the clothes and how I feel!

Random Stuff

Did a lot of fun stuff over the 4th of July holidays.

On the fourth, we headed to Miller Outdoor Theater.
Cluck Gable was in attendance and very excited to hear the Houston Symphony and see the fireworks. All for free!
 We got there 2.5 hours early so we would get a decent seat and have a picnic. Even getting there that early, it was still crowded. Cluck was pretty upset to discover he was enjoying Popeye's Fried Chicken.
 He also enjoys photo bombing.
 I tried adding little touches like flameless candles to the ice chest. Now that's classy! ;)
 Isn't this sweet? Brother and sister living in harmony. Actually, I told them to get together and act like they love each other. True story. (they really do love each other)
 Let's try a group self portrait.
 And then sit around for a long, long time watching people fly kites and stuff.
 This is what it looked like when we got there.....
 ...and this is what it looked like once the symphony started playing at 8:30. Keep in mind we're on top of a hill and all of that is also covered in people.
 The symphony was great. And free. Did I mention free?
 You're allowed to bring alcohol to your picnics but no glass containers. This poor lady had been drinking since before we arrived and finally passed out. She wasn't doing too well the rest of the evening.
 And then came the 1812 Overture with cannons!! It was so cool!
And the fireworks display was fantastic! This is just a very tiny portion of them.
It wasn't difficult getting back to our car but leaving the parking garage was a beast. Took 45 minutes but as soon as we were out it was smooth sailing the rest of the way home.

Rachel made a graduation cake for a get together Saturday.
Such great hosts and what a fabulous pool and house they have!! We played pool volleyball, ate, and had a great time.
Sunday we tried fishing at the front "lakes" but the fish weren't biting anything even though we could see the fish!
We had better luck catching things with a cast net. Of course they were tossed back to live a long and prosperous fishy life.
Chuck fitted Dash with a canoe rack.
So Monday we were ready to head out for some fishing!

As soon as we arrived at the canoe launch I found a little hermit crab! So cute.
We toss all the gear in the boat and off we go to the salt marshes to catch tons of redfish!
Except all I caught were two small catfish. :( Not one redfish wanted to bite even though we could see them everywhere.
And I had a high quality pole and reel. It was made for kids and called Fishing Pal. So me and the Fishing Buddy caught two catfish. Was still lots of fun.

A storm rolled in so we had to call it quits early but not before heading to a fishing pier with a restaurant called Jimmy's on the Pier.
From there we could watch the storm come in as we sipped on a hurricane and noshed on some food.
Nice relaxed atmosphere and great food.
After cleaning up and taking a short nap we took the kiddos to an hibachi steakhouse and got dinner and a show.
It was a great weekend. Now back to reality.

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE THE RANDOM POSTS..
    and your funfilled weekend.
    reality has set in here too--but with my birthday coming reality shall e short lived :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too...what Carla said. Love the random posts. you guys come up with fun stuff so often! :D Reality here too. So many birthdays (including my new scary number!) in June, the 4th and now our anniversary Friday...AFTER THIS WEEKEND --- REALITY YES. Gotta get the mind-body connection solidified and ready for work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love the new layout!! And this line really struck a chord with me:

    "I am simply making the point that the path to better health leads to a hot body by accident, while the direct route of the purely aesthetic goal often leads to frustration."

    It's so easy to get wrapped up with the number on the scale, isn't it? I love that if you make the right choices, move your body, eat well, that the hot body will follow. :D

    Glad you had so much fun over the 4th! :D And welcome to DietBet!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)