Tuesday, October 21, 2014

This Old Heart of Mine

Howdy.  Remember me? Probably not since I fell off the face of the earth for a while. Let me catch up with you just a little bit.  There's no way I can cover everything but I'd like to tell you where I've been and what's been going on.

In March,  I got pretty sick. It lasted for almost two weeks,  I felt better for a few days, and then I was down again for two weeks. During that time I was in bed a lot and Chuck would pick up dinner pretty much every night. My energy was gone!  So during March I also started gaining weight at a rather rapid pace. Then it kept going.

In May I went to the doctor and was told I had high blood pressure. Not just a little high, VERY high. One blood pressure pill per day wasn't affecting it so he put me on 2 per day and sent me to an internist.

It took a couple of months to get in with the internist. They took blood, talked and scheduled a stress test on the treadmill. A couple of weeks ago I had my stress test, an EKG, and an ultrasound for my heart. There have been concerns about my insulin issues causing heart damage.

Last week I got a call about my stress test. The results show an abnormality in the electrical of the ST section of the readout. So this Friday I get to go in for a 4 hour procedure where they hook me up to an IV and inject a nuclear dye (radioactive??), do a CAT scan, run me to death on the treadmill, and do another CAT scan. There may be more but I kind of zoned out after that part of the conversation. I hate needles and I hate the stress test.

To be honest,  I'm pretty scared.  I'm scared about the test results and I'm scared about the test itself.  I think about it way too often.

I've also gotten a spot through the lottery in the Houston Half Marathon in January. The problem is that I registered right before I found out about the heart issues. I've been told by two doctors not to run until these tests clear me.  I can walk but not too hard. I can go outside but don't get too overheated. Haha! I love in Texas! In other words, put most exercise on hold.

That's the big news going on.

The heart issues were a wake up call,  plus my clothes being too tight, that it was time to get my fluffy butt back on low carb. On September 19 I began my own challenge to myself to be 100% lowcarb, no cheats, for 30 days. It was much easier than I thought! During that time I lost 15 pounds and some change.

!

I've tried so many amazing recipes during those 30 days and I'm going to share my favorites with you. Soon. Not all at once.

Also,  I got house chickens! I'll introduce them to you little by little.  But here's my very special hen named Peeps. They wear chicken diapers! How cute!

Happy to be back. I felt a little overwhelmed with everything for a while but I'm feeling better now and ready to get back to my old self. The old Happy Texan.

Hope y'all are doing well. Missed you

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back and congrats on the spot in the marathon! Will keep you in my prayers for Friday!! ((hugs)) So glad to connect again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((((((HUGS AND HAPPINESS THAT YOURE BACK. WE GOT THIS. ALL OF THIS. RIGHT??? :-))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Special K. Glad to hear you're still alive and kickin' (tho sorry to hear about all the health problems... wait, we shouldn't call them "problems" - we should call them "opportunities!" ... no, that sounds stupid. Okay, we'll stick to "problems" for now, but here's hoping it all works itself out).

    What I meant to say was, "Yay for chix!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this will put your mind at ease or not, but I had that exact stress test, this past December. Honestly, other than having to wait for the nuclear stuff to do it's thing and the addition of the CT scan, the stress test itself is the same. Really, no big deal and it gives the docs a much better look at what is going on. Yes, you're radioactive for a couple days but that only matters if you have to travel in a airport. They'll give you a certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back...wishing you all the best as you move forward....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you all the best as you move forward...welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. REALLY good to see you back Kelly!!!!! Hope all the tests come back with no alarm!!! Can't wait to meet the chickens! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see you back!! Sorry about your health issues, though. And OH MY GOSH, I didn't know chicken diapers existed!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)